• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone tried this

Good idea but I would think its something that would work best on preset sticks. Can't see it stacking well when carrying in sticks and don't think you'd want to carry it in hanging off the side of a stick.

My main concern is side loading. It is designed to be stood on. It slides onto the beam from the side with only pressure screws holding it in place. The main "clamping" is from front to back pressure when standing on. Not a terrible idea but I don't think it would be the best setup.

I do use one of those attached to a single rapid rail in some setups. The powerstep portion actually weighs in just under 5 lbs. I don't use the pressure screws for clamping it on the rails as there are provisions on both brackets for a bolt to run behind the rail and provide a more positive hold. I wouldn't trust just the pressure screws. As noted above, the downside is that it is awkward to carry.

Attachments

• powerstep.PNG
    powerstep.PNG
    683.8 KB · Views: 62
I do use one of those attached to a single rapid rail in some setups. The powerstep portion actually weighs in just under 5 lbs. I don't use the pressure screws for clamping it on the rails as there are provisions on both brackets for a bolt to run behind the rail and provide a more positive hold. I wouldn't trust just the pressure screws. As noted above, the downside is that it is awkward to carry.
If you want to lighten that up you could just ditch the cleat and use a moring hitch around the step and frame. I did that with a set of stagger steps to get rid of the metal on metal durring setup.

Thanks DIYSaddler. I actually have used that set up as a platform. I attach it to the end of my climbing rope and pull it up and attach it to the tree after I get to height. I replaced the metal clamp and cinch that are standard on the rapid rail with a length of Amsteel and a cam cleat to eliminate the metal to metal contact during set up. Lately I've been toying with the idea of replacing the rapid rail with a section of 1" square aluminum tube and some vee's in the style of the XOP platforms.

Back