• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone use a ladder stand AND a saddle?

dlist777

I own and hunt my own farm. I am a big fan of the JX-3 and have used it alot. I was thinking about setting up a few ladder stands around my property to serve as just a climbing method and platform for my JX-3. Just so I can get in and out super quiet but still hunt with the JX-3. Has anyone ever done this? Comments? Any particular ladder stand better than another for this purpose? TIA

I own and hunt my own farm. I am a big fan of the JX-3 and have used it alot. I was thinking about setting up a few ladder stands around my property to serve as just a climbing method and platform for my JX-3. Just so I can get in and out super quiet but still hunt with the JX-3. Has anyone ever done this? Comments? Any particular ladder stand better than another for this purpose? TIA
Not in a JX3 but definitely in my Kestrel.
If you can find those small, one-man ladder stands at Wally World or whatever, they’re only like $120 normally and they often go on sale for less than $70. I like the small ones because they’re about the same size as a large saddle platform and the seat is at the perfect height for my backpack OR to stand on and get another 2’ of height.
I’ve hunted from big-ass 2-man ladder stands in my saddle too, IMO not as much fun and a little harder to maneuver especially if there’s a shooting rail involved, but plenty doable.

If you can find those small, one-man ladder stands at Wally World or whatever, they’re only like $120 normally and they often go on sale for less than $70. I like the small ones because they’re about the same size as a large saddle platform and the seat is at the perfect height for my backpack OR to stand on and get another 2’ of height.
I’ve hunted from big-ass 2-man ladder stands in my saddle too, IMO not as much fun and a little harder to maneuver especially if there’s a shooting rail involved, but plenty doable.
Thanks. Dumb question...on those small ones, do you stand on the seat part or the part where your feet are supposed to go...guessing the seat part.

Edit: I don't read well. lol. you already answered this; ignore

Thanks. Dumb question...on those small ones, do you stand on the seat part or the part where your feet are supposed to go...guessing the seat part.

Edit: I don't read well. lol. you already answered this; ignore
All good homie.

I use ladder stands as decoys. Follow me on this. When I find a ladder stand or one I put up (and have killed deer out of) I will go 100+ yards upwind of the ladder stand and climb in my saddle. The deer know exactly where the ladder stands are in THEIR woods. They will check them from a distance way before they come through most times. I have killed double digit numbers of deer sneaking around to check on a ladder stand.
I figured this out when I had a ladder stand set up with a camera. Every single day between 1600-1630 a herd of does would come through, except for days I was sitting their. Then one day I paid extra attention way up the block of woods during that time. Sure enough they would walk to a clearing they could see the stand and watch. The next night (same scent control as the night before) I moved to where they had check the ladder stand from and watched. They came right to a point and a single "scout" would walk over and look up. When the ladder stand was empty she walked back to the herd and proceeded towards the ladder stand. That is when I shot the last deer in line.

Ive
I use ladder stands as decoys. Follow me on this. When I find a ladder stand or one I put up (and have killed deer out of) I will go 100+ yards upwind of the ladder stand and climb in my saddle. The deer know exactly where the ladder stands are in THEIR woods. They will check them from a distance way before they come through most times. I have killed double digit numbers of deer sneaking around to check on a ladder stand.
I figured this out when I had a ladder stand set up with a camera. Every single day between 1600-1630 a herd of does would come through, except for days I was sitting their. Then one day I paid extra attention way up the block of woods during that time. Sure enough they would walk to a clearing they could see the stand and watch. The next night (same scent control as the night before) I moved to where they had check the ladder stand from and watched. They came right to a point and a single "scout" would walk over and look up. When the ladder stand was empty she walked back to the herd and proceeded towards the ladder stand. That is when I shot the last deer in line.
seen this with one preset I have NEAR a ladder stand that the previous owner put up and I never took down. I’ve killed and seen good deer from the tree I configured myself, but I have seen “scouting” behavior from does, as you put it, and it’s really close to bedding so I feel like having another tree or two without sticks or a ladder would give me an advantage over that highly used corridor that the does have a good radar for; I’m actually planning to put an SRT preset about 50 yds from that other preset once season closes. I’d just climb another tree with sticks right now but it’s too damn cold for all that.

The key with any type of permanent or semi permanent stands is to make sure the deer don't associate them with danger. I've killed multiple mature bucks on a small farm, from the same ladder stand each year. The area is highly pressured with people all around using ladder stands. If you do blow the spot, move it somewhere else, because the spot is blown, not the structure. Deer see man-made structures all the time in their daily lives. If you hunt them right, they can produce for you.

I do it all the time and agree with DelaWhere_Arrow, 100%!! I also pick them up at garage sales and off of Craigslist (I don't do Facebook). I usually don't pay more than $40 but normally around $25 for them out of season when people just want them out of their way. Beccause of that, I've got a bunch of them all around the woods and a few extra in the barn in case I find a hot spot. It's the hot setup for your own or permission property. I also put a screw in step/bolt or two on either side of the platform to let me work around the tree if necessary.

Sounds like they were onto you, not necessarily the stand. idk.

I hunted a ladder stand for almost a month straight, had deer within range every hunt, passed up numerous bucks multiple times (and some were pretty nice ones) all while trying to get a specific big buck who eventually gave me an easy shot that I missed.

Just different experiences I guess.

John E tells that story about saddlehunting behind a ladder stand where his friend kept getting busted by a doe, and he got her on his first sit because she couldn’t see him behind the tree. If there is a presumption a spot has been pressured, maybe it is best to hang a platform above it on the backside and evade their suspicious eyes or to do what you do.

But I’ve never noticed any consistent skepticism towards a stand itself.

We can usually find these on sale after season is over for less than 50 bucks. We buy them and place on some of our private land spots. I’ve used everything from a saddle to my battle belt, depending upon how I feel. Like others said if they aren’t tall enough we take a stick with us. We also stick a few bolts around the tree to be able to move to whichever side of the tree we need to for a shot.

Attachments

• IMG_1794.png
    IMG_1794.png
    292.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I shot a doe this year from the hybrid using a ladder stand that was set by my host.

Not by choice, it was literally the only option.

Worked fine. The cover was set for the the seat and a gun. I stuck out because I was too high above it.

It worked fine though

Sounds like they were onto you, not necessarily the stand. idk.

I hunted a ladder stand for almost a month straight, had deer within range every hunt, passed up numerous bucks multiple times (and some were pretty nice ones) all while trying to get a specific big buck who eventually gave me an easy shot that I missed.

Just different experiences I guess.

John E tells that story about saddlehunting behind a ladder stand where his friend kept getting busted by a doe, and he got her on his first sit because she couldn’t see him behind the tree. If there is a presumption a spot has been pressured, maybe it is best to hang a platform above it on the backside and evade their suspicious eyes or to do what you do.

But I’ve never noticed any consistent skepticism towards a stand itself.
Posted in another thread but had a buck go darn near right under a ladder stand and hang out for several minutes on public this year where I was 60 yards downwind. Blue straps keeping it to the tree. I’d tend to agree that the deer are working the person, not the stand, but that isn’t meant to discount doing what works for you.

I agree they are working the person, but I rarely let a legal deer pass. I let fawns and tiny bucks pass, but does and bucks die. Therefore once I kill a deer out of the stand it becomes a concern to them. I agree if I sit there all season and never kill a deer the stand is still virgin and I don't raise alarm. Once I kill a deer out of that stand (unless it is a loner) the stand now means danger danger and they look for a difference from the other 5 days of the week they walk by.

I agree they are working the person, but I rarely let a legal deer pass. I let fawns and tiny bucks pass, but does and bucks die. Therefore once I kill a deer out of the stand it becomes a concern to them. I agree if I sit there all season and never kill a deer the stand is still virgin and I don't raise alarm. Once I kill a deer out of that stand (unless it is a loner) the stand now means danger danger and they look for a difference from the other 5 days of the week they walk by.

I would tend to agree that would impact a stand or location.

However, I did observe something weird that says it’s not always the case. In early days, my brother shot a buck from a ladder stand and gutted it about 30yds away. I hunted the stand the next several days and saw quite a number of does and a few of them even went and sniffed about the gut pile. None of them ever looked up at me in the stand.

Then again, I’ve been in spots in a hang on/climber/etc. where everything is (seems) perfect and they somehow bust me.

It’s hard to know what gives sometimes. The key for me is to be working the trend(s) that I’m observing in the areas I hunt. You’re doing that and succeeding.

I think it’s to everyone’s benefit to hear about different observations that hunter’s have. And then see what’s happening in one’s own neck of the woods.

Back