• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone use just an etrier/aider to climb?

sampotter

Take a 5 step etrier, attach 6’ or so of amsteel to the top
-tie to tree at eye level with a quick release knot
-attach your tether above etrier
-climb etrier
-slide tether up the tree as high as you can reach
-sit in saddle
-pull the tag end of your quick release knot to untie etrier
-tie etrier again just below your tether
-repeat process

Seems to work in my head, never tried it though.

-climb etrier
-sit in saddle
-repeat process

I use an amsteel daisy chain, girth hitch around the tree and clip the aider on with a wiregate carabiner just under the girth hitch. Then you just loosen the girth hitch and slide it up. Works Excellent on straight trees, but can be a royal PITA on leaners.

I use an amsteel daisy chain, girth hitch around the tree and clip the aider on with a wiregate carabiner just under the girth hitch. Then you just loosen the girth hitch and slide it up. Works Excellent on straight trees, but can be a royal PITA on leaners.

Leaners suck with any climbing method.

-climb etrier
-sit in saddle
-repeat process

@sampotter I REALLY want this method to work, but I've attempted this for awhile now without much luck. Two questions for you:

1. What kind of quick release knot are you using on your amsteel? (picture would be very helpful)

2. What's the trick to getting enough space between the aider and the tree so you can get a good bit of your foot onto the loop (about mid-sole)? Because of the 'tree - connection point - aider' angle created due to the connection point of the aider at the tree, I seem to get less and less of my boot in the loop as I ascend (this angle does not exist when using a WE step or other offset because the aider hangs straight down). Hope the diagram below helps describe what I'm experiencing...

strap attachment point.... |\
tree........................................... |_\ ...........................aider step 1
tree........................................... |__\ .........................aider step 2
tree........................................... |___f\oot ...............aider step 3 (barely enough toe in loop to ascend)
tree........................................... |___fo\ot ...............aider step 4
tree........................................... |___foo\t ...............aider step 5

Back