• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ATC Pilot

justsomedude

I like it. Only used tonight at a few feet high.

It is actually less bulky in some dimensions than the standard ATC. The hollow plastic is noisy when not connected to rope and not loaded. A standard ATC clipped to a biner is pretty quiet. The Pilot is not.

Carabiner shape seems to matter. Round bar stock seemed to operate more smoothly than a flat Petzl William. I haven't tried the Fusion biner that came with the Kestrel (not totally round or flat) but I will.

They say to use an HMS Carabiner. Definition:
  • HMS: A special kind of carabiner is often used in rock climbing. HMS = HeMi Spherical. i.e. offset, or curved to one side. HMS is also considered short for the German word, "Halbmastwurfsicherung", a knot which is called the Munter Hitch in English. The special offset shape of the HMS carabiner allows a climber to use the Munter Hitch for belaying without the rope getting stuck or jammed.
On Sterling HTP 9mm Rope with a round bar carabiner. It works really well. You DON'T however, want to let go of the brake line. It does "lock" and I swung around the tree pretty hard. But every now and then, it would slip.

Quick testing seems like it works on 11mm Yale Bandit. They say it works for Ropes up to 10.5mm. Yale Bandit is soft, so that might make it ok. Inquiring minds want to know.

I think I will still use an auto block. It won't catch you like a GriGri. You won't freefall either though. I want to try some quick rappels and see if it stops you if you don't tend the brake line. I think it won't.

HIGHLY improved braking over a standard ATC though. You can rappel nice and smooth.
When you are stopped, you can very gracefully open it up and descend (better than the GriGri).

I'll follow up after I play with it more tomorrow

Last edited:
4410D9FF-460E-49AA-83FC-1DB4CE6453F3.jpeg I wrapped it in hockey tape to quiet down the hollow plastic. Big help. Crazier people might stealth strip it.

You have to leave the inner grooves clear for rope so you can’t wrap it in camoform

Back