• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

attaching climbing sticks to saddle

mcgonigle16

Looking for suggestions on attaching additional beast sticks to my saddle when climbing the tree for easy deployment. Is there anything better than just paracord? trying to reduce amount of times going up and down the tree. Like many I am new to the saddle game. I have always used climbers when possible but where I live many of the trees are much more suitable for saddle use.

Thank you
Jack

Looking for suggestions on attaching additional beast sticks to my saddle when climbing the tree for easy deployment. Is there anything better than just paracord? trying to reduce amount of times going up and down the tree. Like many I am new to the saddle game. I have always used climbers when possible but where I live many of the trees are much more suitable for saddle use.

Thank you
Jack

Genesis 3D printing makes “stick clips”

I’ve also found that shock cord/bungee loops are easier to operate than paracord due to the stretch. You still get the swaying of the sticks and potential noise. The “stick clips” might be a better solution.

Or you could make your own Kydex clips for your sticks.

Or you can carry them up “caddy” style on a sling.

These have been shared on the site before, but Matthew (@setxhunter) at TX5 Custom Gear has non-metallic versa loops that are as good as it gets for this purpose and has sizes to match the different versa buttons. One hand operation. Also, the second picture is twisted only to show the connection to the versa button.
23dcea23ed629c194aa723eed130478e.jpg
37357c0ad98a5b63326b240c7a85865b.jpg

These have been shared on the site before, but Matthew (@setxhunter) at TX5 Custom Gear has non-metallic versa loops that are as good as it gets for this purpose and has sizes to match the different versa buttons. One hand operation. Also, the second picture is twisted only to show the connection to the versa button.
23dcea23ed629c194aa723eed130478e.jpg
37357c0ad98a5b63326b240c7a85865b.jpg
These are cool.

How does one order from TX5 Custom Gear if one is not on Facebook?

I’ve been using the S-biners that came with my hys pro pack and clipping into paracord loops on sticks. I would then reuse the s biners on my gear strap for backpack rangefinder etc. The problem was it was a pain to hook them back through the molle with my weight in the saddle when it was time to climb down. So I ordered some grimlock d ring. Put them on my saddle Friday and noticed one is broken already. There were four in the pack so we’ll see how long they last.

I have tried almost everything. I`m back to para-cord. This time I made the lengths different. It worked great . Everything hangs nicely as I climb . Each cord has a job. The longest one (about 9 in) is in the center and my platform goes there to be taken off last . Then I remove the stick hanging between the platform and my # 4 stick. Simple but it works . And so on up the tree

I have tried almost everything. I`m back to para-cord. This time I made the lengths different. It worked great . Everything hangs nicely as I climb . Each cord has a job. The longest one (about 9 in) is in the center and my platform goes there to be taken off last . Then I remove the stick hanging between the platform and my # 4 stick. Simple but it works . And so on up the tree
Hey SloMo regarding your climbing, I am using the GM Climbing straps for my aiders and I put the zip tie in them to keep them open, do you CAYG with one or do you have them looped on your sticks? I am switching over from a longer Tubular webbing strap with #11 Accessory cord on the inside and a piece of green rubber hose on the outside. It has worked great for me but I think I like your idea better.

Good question . I have 3 freshly modded Gm climbing loops . I carry them in on my backpack and attach them as I go up looping them over the bottom step. Works like a charm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a very small loop of paracord (silver dollar size) tied to the stick and then hook that on these. I have these on Heliums, and put the paracord on a stand off.

I heat the hooks and bend them a bit more to really hold the paracord because I've knocked a stick out once and it fell 20 feet and almost landed on my bow.

Last edited:
I didn't have pics handy earlier to share, but this is version 2.0 of the TX5 Custom Gear versa loops ( tx5customgear@gmail.com). Even easier to attach on molle and other loops with a simple girth hitch. Paracord or other ropes will work too, but these really hold the sticks tight while climbing with less movement than those options. It took a lot for me to say something nice about anything stick related, they are that good :)
74bd69675e655719aaaf1222db2f0500.jpg
ec93a1686b441415cb6c569a980aebbb.jpg

Back