• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Atwood rope

Sincyrman

Anyone here tried Atwood rope for a tether? I was in a local hardware store and saw some that looked pretty good, for a reasonable price.

1/2 inch
19$/50'
2200 lbs/220lb working load
Very light. IT FLOATS!

On your way home from that purchase, stop at your insurance agent and make sure your life insurance and disability is up to date :)

I'm not a rope snob, or climbing geek. But even I know that using this rope to support your fragile body 12-20 feet off the ground is a Bad Idea (tm).

That rope talks about a 2200 pound tensile strength and 220 pound working load limit. I'm not even doing the fall/shock-load math. Just compare that to a professional climbing rope stats: Samson's Predator rope (standard issue with a kestrel harness) has an ABS (average breaking strength) of 6,000 pounds.

Tensile strength is the lab-average breaking weight of the rope when brand new. Working load is usually 10-15% of that. Now consider that every time you tie a knot in it, you lose a huge fraction (35-50%) of that tensile strength. 1 knot in a 2200 pound tensile strength rope means you're down to 110 pounds of working load.

No thanks.

I was only curious because the I heard that the HSS rope only had about a 1000 lb breaking strength, and guys are using that as a tether. I'm not excited about falling 20 feet from a tree. I was just impressed about the light weight aspect of the rope.
In the back of my mind, I'm still wondering what it would feel like to experience a 1000 lb force. Or 2000 or 6000. I'm not trying to be argumentative.
Just asking because I am trying to shed a much weight as possible.
But, as @JBDaddy points out, not by taking unnecessary risks. If the rope failed, I probably wouldn't be in the air long, but long enough question my decision!

In the back of my mind, I'm still wondering what it would feel like to experience a 1000 lb force. Or 2000 or 6000. I'm not trying to be argumentative.

It didn't come across argumentative at all. It's a reasonable question. The way my old safety coordinator used to explain it was that thousands of climbing accidents have been investigated over the decades. The result of those investigations has shown that 5000 lbs (may be 5400 now, not sure) is a good minimum breaking strength to be above. It isn't calculated, it is isn't theorized, experience has shown that to be a good number and that by default takes into account wear and tear, knot strength reductions, poor bend radius, etc.

We're rec climbers, not Arborists, so I can see dropping a little below that and being fine but stil I believe it's a pretty solid recommendation. With modern materials and rope construction it's pretty easy to stay above that number.

Back