• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Beast stand or LWCG? Opinions please!

Westdesign03

SH Member
A quick back story, I was a ding dong and stupidly and accidentally left my Beast stand at the parking area of a public hunting area in the 2023 season. When I went back the next night (in the middle of the night after I realized what I did), of course the stand was long gone. Searching, calling, knocking on doors etc. didn’t help anything.

Now a few months later I think I’m about done licking my wounds and am considering getting another high dollar hang on stand. I’m trying to decide if I should go with the beast stand again or maybe try a LWCG .75 or 1.0. I loved the beast stand but wasn’t wild about the flexing at the front of the platform. The seat pad was ok, but that can always be changed. Otherwise everything else about it was amazing. No complaints. Since then I bought a Novix Helo to finish out the season and I really do love that stand, even though it’s slightly heavier to today’s standards. (I guess the other option here is to stick with the Helo and let the expensive stand dream go.)

I have owned a LWCG .5 before and liked it pretty well but didn’t love the flexing of the seat and post when I sat on it. I don’t want to go that small again but just throwing it out there to state I have experienced one of their stands before.

I am 170-175lbs and 5’10” so my weight isn’t a big concern to me.

Would like to get some insights and opinions of anyone who’s owned either of these stands/brands and especially ones who have owned both and prefer one over the other and why. Just wanting to try and sway more one way or the other because I am the king of analysis paralysis. Thanks!

Beast stand has the size weight ratio advantage.

The custom gear stands are more refined and have features that are really nice to have like traction cut into the platform, tees to lash things to, fully customizable, etc…

As far as .75 vs 1.0 I pick the 1.0. Given the same seat post and seat configuration it’s only 3.5oz heavier and you aren’t contending with cables crowding you.

I currrently have both a beast stand and 1.0 hanging on my wall.

A quick back story, I was a ding dong and stupidly and accidentally left my Beast stand at the parking area of a public hunting area in the 2023 season. When I went back the next night (in the middle of the night after I realized what I did), of course the stand was long gone. Searching, calling, knocking on doors etc. didn’t help anything.

Now a few months later I think I’m about done licking my wounds and am considering getting another high dollar hang on stand. I’m trying to decide if I should go with the beast stand again or maybe try a LWCG .75 or 1.0. I loved the beast stand but wasn’t wild about the flexing at the front of the platform. The seat pad was ok, but that can always be changed. Otherwise everything else about it was amazing. No complaints. Since then I bought a Novix Helo to finish out the season and I really do love that stand, even though it’s slightly heavier to today’s standards. (I guess the other option here is to stick with the Helo and let the expensive stand dream go.)

I have owned a LWCG .5 before and liked it pretty well but didn’t love the flexing of the seat and post when I sat on it. I don’t want to go that small again but just throwing it out there to state I have experienced one of their stands before.

I am 170-175lbs and 5’10” so my weight isn’t a big concern to me.

Would like to get some insights and opinions of anyone who’s owned either of these stands/brands and especially ones who have owned both and prefer one over the other and why. Just wanting to try and sway more one way or the other because I am the king of analysis paralysis. Thanks!

I've owned all of the stands which you've mentioned and am the similar OCD personality you describe when it comes to my gear. For a fixed stand the .75 with standard height post would be my choice for comfort and my hunting style and the areas I hunt. Which are mainly thick, tangles, swamps, some deep ravine areas and mostly long hikes in/out of any of them. Love the shelf feature for packing out and it for me is what sets LWCG stand apart from any others. I dont want a large pack and use a waist pack. The weight, width and length are perfect for my needs. I like where it rides with shoulder straps and waist belt. It's about as solid and noise free as you can get in this configuration. My outer layers bungee easily over top of my sticks. Even at my ~240lbs there is minimal if any flex in the platform. Unlike the Beast you mention.

Bummer about the old stand. Stuff like that happens. If you can consciously think to offload alongside the drivers side of your vehicle every time you come out of the woods from now on you will never repeat the experience.

Many years ago I was hunting public NY state. Came out of the woods mid-day and unloaded my pack, bow and layers on the ground behind my vehicle. I was parked in front of an old tall black walnut. Wind picked up a bit and it started raining down walnuts on the hood and roof like baseballs leaving dents in the hood. Not thinking I rushed to jump in and backed right over everything including my Darton bow w/6 arrow quiver. The bow survived but arrows destroyed and 3 1/2hrs from home the incident left me scrambling driving many miles to find a sporting goods store with arrows to be able to resume the hunt. Have never had any similar foolish mishaps since. Have had buddies drive off and leave a pair of Burly boots, a gun and a bow behind at other times. If you're going to take it off behind the vehicle put it inside immediately. My $0.02...

I've owned all of the stands which you've mentioned and am the similar OCD personality you describe when it comes to my gear. For a fixed stand the .75 with standard height post would be my choice for comfort and my hunting style and the areas I hunt. Which are mainly thick, tangles, swamps, some deep ravine areas and mostly long hikes in/out of any of them. Love the shelf feature for packing out and it for me is what sets LWCG stand apart from any others. I dont want a large pack and use a waist pack. The weight, width and length are perfect for my needs. I like where it rides with shoulder straps and waist belt. It's about as solid and noise free as you can get in this configuration. My outer layers bungee easily over top of my sticks. Even at my ~240lbs there is minimal if any flex in the platform. Unlike the Beast you mention.

Bummer about the old stand. Stuff like that happens. If you can consciously think to offload alongside the drivers side of your vehicle every time you come out of the woods from now on you will never repeat the experience.

Many years ago I was hunting public NY state. Came out of the woods mid-day and unloaded my pack, bow and layers on the ground behind my vehicle. I was parked in front of an old tall black walnut. Wind picked up a bit and it started raining down walnuts on the hood and roof like baseballs leaving dents in the hood. Not thinking I rushed to jump in and backed right over everything including my Darton bow w/6 arrow quiver. The bow survived but arrows destroyed and 3 1/2hrs from home the incident left me scrambling driving many miles to find a sporting goods store with arrows to be able to resume the hunt. Have never had any similar foolish mishaps since. Have had buddies drive off and leave a pair of Burly boots, a gun and a bow behind at other times. If you're going to take it off behind the vehicle put it inside immediately. My $0.02...
Thanks for the thoughts there on the .75. Sounds pretty good. I remember the shelf deal from the .5 and it was pretty cool I have to say, although I don’t like to pack a stand like a frame pack. Just can never get it comfortable on my back and don’t want to put a bunch of padding and what not on it to make it more comfortable. Although that might be the thing to do eventually and I’ll give it another shot. That is, get one those backpack strap and lumbar pad deals you get for frame packs and try that out.

When you sit on the .75, does the seat/top of the post flex on you if you lean left or right? The .5 did that for me and I didn’t care for it.

That sucks to hear about backing over your gear. Guess stuff like that does happen to the best of us. Good idea to unload on the passenger side. I definitely unloaded on the drivers side that night. That night I walked out in the dark, I was getting checked out/ possibly stalked by at least 1 coyote. Wasn’t a far walk out but far enough. Spooked me enough to walk out with the sidearm out just in case. First time that’s ever happened to me. So when I got back to the car I was already flustered and that ultimately made me forget to throw the stand in the back of the car. And that was that.

Thanks for the thoughts there on the .75. Sounds pretty good. I remember the shelf deal from the .5 and it was pretty cool I have to say, although I don’t like to pack a stand like a frame pack. Just can never get it comfortable on my back and don’t want to put a bunch of padding and what not on it to make it more comfortable. Although that might be the thing to do eventually and I’ll give it another shot. That is, get one those backpack strap and lumbar pad deals you get for frame packs and try that out.

When you sit on the .75, does the seat/top of the post flex on you if you lean left or right? The .5 did that for me and I didn’t care for it.

That sucks to hear about backing over your gear. Guess stuff like that does happen to the best of us. Good idea to unload on the passenger side. I definitely unloaded on the drivers side that night. That night I walked out in the dark, I was getting checked out/ possibly stalked by at least 1 coyote. Wasn’t a far walk out but far enough. Spooked me enough to walk out with the sidearm out just in case. First time that’s ever happened to me. So when I got back to the car I was already flustered and that ultimately made me forget to throw the stand in the back of the car. And that was that.

The new beast stand seat posts are stiffer than the old ones. They aren’t drilling the holes in them anymore. The tube has less flex than the machined post. Not as much flex as the .5 post but it’s still there.

The new beast stand seat posts are stiffer than the old ones. They aren’t drilling the holes in them anymore. The tube has less flex than the machined post. Not as much flex as the .5 post but it’s still there.
Good to know. Think I saw your post about that new seat post. Or someone else maybe. Wonder why they ditched the holes in the post. I don’t remember the seat flexing at all on my MIA Beast stand. Did the no holes post add any noticeable weight? Can’t imagine it did.

Good to know. Think I saw your post about that new seat post. Or someone else maybe. Wonder why they ditched the holes in the post. I don’t remember the seat flexing at all on my MIA Beast stand. Did the no holes post add any noticeable weight? Can’t imagine it did.

I don't get any flex in the .75 seat post. You're a lot lighter I'm surprised you do. I do use 2x cam straps on the post (actually USA Pro) and that may be the difference. .5 was too small a platform to sit. More than half your feet hanging over the edge and to stand not much more room than a saddle platform. So, it had to go.

You offload on the drivers side not the passengers. That way you'll see everything you need to load up before you get in to leave and are more likely see in your mirror anything you may have missed.

I can relate to your aggressive coyote story. Years ago had a male aggressively pin me down at a 10yd distance while mountain biking. Had to walk with the bike between me and him nearly 200yds while snarling and barking at me leaping rock to rock the whole way. Would not give up. It was late spring and I must have been near a den.

Another time I was coyote hunting had just finished a call sequence with mouth call and had some answer but it was too close to end of shooting hours so I decided to make my way out at dusk with wind at my back. Alpha dog followed my back trail through the woods and was on me within minutes let out a loud howl so close made the hair on back of my neck stand up. I could hear it walking behind me. Having gun in hand still didn't make me feel all that secure. I shot the one I believe it was ~2wks later. It weighed 61lbs. The rest that I've taken have ranged bet ~38-30lbs. Quite certain it was coywolf. Coat much different, much longer legs and skull nearly twice the size of an avg coyote.

Good to know about the .75 seat. Yeah not sure why the .5 flexed on me so much. For the $ I just don’t want to deal with little issues like that.

Sorry thought you meant passenger side. Makes sense though. In hind sight I even remember hearing a weird metal sound as I backed out. Of course thought nothing of it until a good 24 hrs later.

Wow that’s some crazy coyote stories. That 60lb dog must have been nuts! I agree that had to have been like a wolf mix or something. We don’t have any yotes like that around my area, except ones that must breed with dogs here and there. Those can get pretty big but don’t know if they’re more aggressive or not.

Good to know about the .75 seat. Yeah not sure why the .5 flexed on me so much. For the $ I just don’t want to deal with little issues like that.

Sorry thought you meant passenger side. Makes sense though. In hind sight I even remember hearing a weird metal sound as I backed out. Of course thought nothing of it until a good 24 hrs later.

Wow that’s some crazy coyote stories. That 60lb dog must have been nuts! I agree that had to have been like a wolf mix or something. We don’t have any yotes like that around my area, except ones that must breed with dogs here and there. Those can get pretty big but don’t know if they’re more aggressive or not.

Have you looked at the posts? The 20” and 22” ones are much more beefy than the 18” post.

From 2017

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240325-114224_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240325-114224_Photos.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20240325-114242_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240325-114242_Photos.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20240325-114619_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240325-114619_Photos.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20240325-114607_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240325-114607_Photos.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20240325-114600_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240325-114600_Photos.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 39
I made the choice between .75 and 1.0 last year. I chose 1.0 because it was only a few ounces heavier. My SIL went with the .75 and now wishes he had chosen the 1.0. I have no complaints with it. I did learn that I needed to toe hook it. The teeth are so aggressive that unless I did that I had touble getting the teeth at the seat to bite in well. I also went with the mesh seat option.

Back