• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Way to climb 30'

DHutch360

I'm trying to find everyone's preferred method to climb 25'-30'? I've always used 4 LW sticks but that only gets me 21-22' and being tall, I'm pretty sure I'm spacing them a lot farther than the average hunter. Not a fan of spurs so I'm really looking for stick/aider options.

One stick climbing or wild edge steps are what I would consider if I for some reason had to get to 30’

I'd try a CAYG aider or add a 5th stick.

I'm not a fan, personally, of multi step aiders. I do okay in the yard practicing, but coming down in dark cold weather with heavy clothes, the efficiency goes down for me. Lot's of guys love them, however.

Why not try bolts if you can use them! And there is always rope steps if you can not use bolts!

I've been to 35'+ a few times. Screw in steps once and SRT. Obviously you need to check the regs if you're planning on using screw in steps or bolts.

If your tall you could stretch it there to 25ish w/ single CAYG aider, or one stick it until you run out of tree ( if you end up onesticking w/ your LW sticks you may want to upgrade to double steps on that)

Or you could use just a hand climber. You can get to 50’ in a nice short leaf pine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to find everyone's preferred method to climb 25'-30'? I've always used 4 LW sticks but that only gets me 21-22' and being tall, I'm pretty sure I'm spacing them a lot farther than the average hunter. Not a fan of spurs so I'm really looking for stick/aider options.
Do you mostly climb trees with low branches or fairly straight trees with hardly any lower limbs?

A couple of Cranford strap on steps should work to get to nose bleed level. If you don't want to fool with them high in a tree start off with them at ground level then you only have one strap to mess with high.

I use the single stick method. Getting higher in the tree is just a matter of moving the stick a couple more times. I typically target between 20-25 feet but I have hunted as high as 35' and as low as 15' using the method.

Without going spurs, just carry more sticks...

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

Back