• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Big 'Biner Boys

Spartan

As I'm upgrading/changing some of my gear in preps for next season, it occurred to me that there are carabiners which are much smaller and lighter than the standard ones that either come with saddle kits, or the aftermarket ones that a lot of saddle hunters seem to gravitate towards as they get new gear. Less to clunk around and less weight. To me, these large biners seem to have a lot of use for rock climbing and canyoning applications since they sometimes need the size, but as a saddle hunter I can't think of a single reason why the old "smaller and lighter is better" mentality can't also apply to our biners. So I bought a few and have been testing with them both on my tethers and linemans rigs, and couldn't be happier. Haven't seen a single reason yet why to not choose the smaller and lighter biners that are also fully climbing rated. Half the size and about a third of the weight.

Anybody else going smaller? Any reason why smaller wouldn't be better for our typical saddle rigs?

And just as a note, one of the pics shows a wire-gate biner that is the absolute smallest climbing-rated biner I could find just for testing and comparison. I personally wouldn't use a non-locking biner, I just wanted to see the difference. But plenty of rock climbers do use them as part of their rigs. That thing is crazy small, but still rated for 22kN!

IMG_5302.JPG
IMG_5303.JPG

As I'm upgrading/changing some of my gear in preps for next season, it occurred to me that there are carabiners which are much smaller and lighter than the standard ones that either come with saddle kits, or the aftermarket ones that a lot of saddle hunters seem to gravitate towards as they get new gear. Less to clunk around and less weight. To me, these large biners seem to have a lot of use for rock climbing and canyoning applications since they sometimes need the size, but as a saddle hunter I can't think of a single reason why the old "smaller and lighter is better" mentality can't also apply to our biners. So I bought a few and have been testing with them both on my tethers and linemans rigs, and couldn't be happier. Haven't seen a single reason yet why to not choose the smaller and lighter biners that are also fully climbing rated. Half the size and about a third of the weight.

Anybody else going smaller? Any reason why smaller wouldn't be better for our typical saddle rigs?

And just as a note, one of the pics shows a wire-gate biner that is the absolute smallest climbing-rated biner I could find just for testing and comparison. I personally wouldn't use a non-locking biner, I just wanted to see the difference. But plenty of rock climbers do use them as part of their rigs. That thing is crazy small, but still rated for 22kN!

View attachment 65461
View attachment 65462
Been using the metolius, black Diamond, and petzl caribiners of that size since I began saddle hunting. They’re especially nice if you’re using 8mm rope. They can be a pain sometimes if you’re using 10-11.6mm rope, but other than that no difference. Enjoy!

I'm using Black Diamond Lite Forge screw locks currently, they're pretty tiny . . . in fact a bit too small for me. Sometimes I have trouble getting the bridge loops through the gate. I think I'm going to try the Hot Forges next time. A buddy of mine bought some the other day and they're just the slightly bigger.

I don't mind the larger autolocking ones on my bridge. Fusion is my go to for that, but the black diamond ones you show are great also.

I generally run a Rock Exotica Swiva Eye (swivel carabiner) on my main bridge. I often reorient my direction in the canopy have been known to spin around a full 360 degrees when getting into position for a shot. I have tried several others as well. That move will twist up hard on a doubled rope without a swivel. I run a Petzl William Ball on my short bridge. Its my Rappel device.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I generally run a Rock Exotica Swiva Eye (swivel carabiner) on my main bridge. I often reorient my direction in the canopy have been known to spin around a full 360 degrees when getting into position for a shot. I have tried several others as well. That move will twist up hard on a doubled rope without a swivel. I run a Petzl William Ball on my short bridge. Its my Rappel device.

You find me a solid swivel carabiner for a lot less than $90 and I’m in.

You find me a solid swivel carabiner for a lot less than $90 and I’m in.
Left to Right: 1. ISC Twister, 2. a Black Diamond Gridlock Magnetron beaner on a Prond Swivel (i put a couple cable ties to avoid rattling) 3. Rock Exotica. The Prond Swivel would be a cheap option
32b8dc720a90625c2e5c6af37ecd74bc.jpg

I run the biggest biners I can find since I am using Samson predator rope,11.4 mil and use a munter for rappelling and a Garda for my foot loop.

I use DMM perfectos for most applications. I highly recommend any DMM biner.

I run the biggest biners I can find since I am using Samson predator rope,11.4 mil and use a munter for rappelling and a Garda for my foot loop.

Here's a big one with a huge opening

Imo.... having a little extra weight on the end of ur rope isn't a bad thing.....I climb lots of trees with lots of twigs/branches and when u have to throw ur linesman around the trunk and it's gonna interfere with stick/twig/branch that extra weight is helpful....and using a super munter to descend u will want a larger biner...my aider attachment to my climbing stirrup is a rated wire gate....what works best for me won't nearly necessarily work the best for u....we all do it a little different

Bigger ones are easier to work with in bad conditions or with bulky gloves...ease of use is king for me so i prefer bigger biners

1652452342737.jpegThis is a DMM triple lock, I use on the end of my rappel line for girth hitching around the tree, but would work anywhere.

I use DMM perfectos for most applications. I highly recommend any DMM biner.

their testing/manufacturing related videos on youtube makes me trust them quite a bit.....despite never owning one of their products yet

Back