• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Big fellers, one sticking, integrated stick/platform or separate stick and plaform

sojourner

SH Member
I am looking at trying one sticking. I already have muddy pros. I am wondering what the differences (pros and cons) when one sticking with a stick and integrated platform versus with a separate stick and platform.

For those with experience, what are your observations?

I prefer a separate platform myself just for the comfort aspect but the simplicity of just taking in a stick with a platform on it is the best for packing in and easy of setup.

Biggest con to the platform on a stick is a lot of these sticks people make are pretty unstable with side pressure. Especially with the abnormalities on the tree surface. The separate platform you kinda know what to expect from the platform.

I went down this rabbit hole pretty deep in the last 2 years. I’m 6’1 and about 270. For context, I settled on buying a better pack and carrying 3 sticks and platform.

but I did find success with platform climbing. I put a 3 step aider on a ridge runner platform and climbed almost exclusively that way last year. I think you’re gonna hate carrying a stick, and hate the small platform on a stick. I’d recommend either carrying one stick or a platform, or climbing with a platform.

My tips for this method is t change the trees you pick, and ground hunt more. Make a concerted effort to go in deeper too. Hunting the same places with a new lighter method is pointless.

I like trees that have a lot of big limbs, and I will use limbs as steps to climb often. I hunt lower and even on the ground a lot more often.

I prefer a separate platform myself just for the comfort aspect but the simplicity of just taking in a stick with a platform on it is the best for packing in and easy of setup.

Biggest con to the platform on a stick is a lot of these sticks people make are pretty unstable with side pressure. Especially with the abnormalities on the tree surface. The separate platform you kinda know what to expect from the platform.

Thanks. Do you have any thoughts on the OOAL Big B.O.B. wrt side pressure and stability?

What do you think about integrated on a left or right leaner?

I like the thought of integrated due to simplicity.

Thx

I went down this rabbit hole pretty deep in the last 2 years. I’m 6’1 and about 270. For context, I settled on buying a better pack and carrying 3 sticks and platform.

but I did find success with platform climbing. I put a 3 step aider on a ridge runner platform and climbed almost exclusively that way last year. I think you’re gonna hate carrying a stick, and hate the small platform on a stick. I’d recommend either carrying one stick or a platform, or climbing with a platform.

My tips for this method is t change the trees you pick, and ground hunt more. Make a concerted effort to go in deeper too. Hunting the same places with a new lighter method is pointless.

I like trees that have a lot of big limbs, and I will use limbs as steps to climb often. I hunt lower and even on the ground a lot more often.

Thanks. I have a good pack/pack frame (stone glacier), so the pack is not the issue. The issue is wanting to reduce weight carried.

Currently, I am using either stepps/knaider or muddy pros and CAYG aider. I briefly tried platform climbing, and that did not work out for me.

Do you think one sticking or platform climbing is limiting your trees versus you 3 sticks?

Thx

Thanks. Do you have any thoughts on the OOAL Big B.O.B. wrt side pressure and stability?

What do you think about integrated on a left or right leaner?

I like the thought of integrated due to simplicity.

Thx

You gonna want to set it up on the TOP side of leaner IMO.

I had a Big Bob and returned it. I would suggest an RDA or EWO stick.

You gonna want to set it up on the TOP side of leaner IMO.

I had a Big Bob and returned it. I would suggest an RDA or EWO stick.

Thanks. What company is RDA? And why did you return the big BOB, if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks. What company is RDA? And why did you return the big BOB, if you don’t mind me asking?

I too went down the hole & found a onestick setup I preferred. I started with a beast stick ( then added a cam cleat) & separate platform ( personal preference there). I tested almost every top stick mounted platform & ended up getting a dedicated EWO 18” onestick with a backwoods mobile aider ( prefer his aider step build) then platform of choice is a flat monarch. The longer the stick the better it does with side pressure when platform is installed. I do think there’s a noticeable difference between a purpose built onestick & using one you have if you decide to give it a solid try. I really only use mine for really deep trips on public land. If there’s a couple trees nearby I will pick the easiest climb without sacrificing cover. I skip leaners unless I absolutely have to……. The introduce more problems than they solve. For the record I’m 47, 6’6” 270 not quite as athletic as I was 10 years ago. I feel safe enough personally but don’t make huge moves & use a Lb climbing on the stick & find a way not to trap your fingers or introduce too much slack prefer figure 8 over madrock…….

I am looking at trying one sticking. I already have muddy pros. I am wondering what the differences (pros and cons) when one sticking with a stick and integrated platform versus with a separate stick and platform.

For those with experience, what are your observations?

If you end up using your Muddys for a one-stick, definitely get EWO standoffs!

The difference is huge!

Screenshot_20211220-202226_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20211220-202215_Samsung Internet.jpg

Bottom stick is one of mine.

I too went down the hole & found a onestick setup I preferred. I started with a beast stick ( then added a cam cleat) & separate platform ( personal preference there). I tested almost every top stick mounted platform & ended up getting a dedicated EWO 18” onestick with a backwoods mobile aider ( prefer his aider step build) then platform of choice is a flat monarch. The longer the stick the better it does with side pressure when platform is installed. I do think there’s a noticeable difference between a purpose built onestick & using one you have if you decide to give it a solid try. I really only use mine for really deep trips on public land. If there’s a couple trees nearby I will pick the easiest climb without sacrificing cover. I skip leaners unless I absolutely have to……. The introduce more problems than they solve. For the record I’m 47, 6’6” 270 not quite as athletic as I was 10 years ago. I feel safe enough personally but don’t make huge moves & use a Lb climbing on the stick & find a way not to trap your fingers or introduce too much slack prefer figure 8 over madrock…….

Thanks.

That monarch looks a little too cramped for me. Like you said, preferences,

So, in the meantime, I just purchased a big BOB here on the classifieds. Should be here this coming week. I already have the gear for rappelling. I have muddy pro sticks and some other gear I plan on selling, once I get more funds, I will look into a EWO topper for my muddy pro.

Thanks for reminder about the fingers and slack and lb. Things I definitely need to get figured out before climbing.

Thanks.

Thanks.

That monarch looks a little too cramped for me. Like you said, preferences,

So, in the meantime, I just purchased a big BOB here on the classifieds. Should be here this coming week. I already have the gear for rappelling. I have muddy pro sticks and some other gear I plan on selling, once I get more funds, I will look into a EWO topper for my muddy pro.

Thanks for reminder about the fingers and slack and lb. Things I definitely need to get figured out before climbing.

Thanks.
I literally tried almost every option angled & flat. I should add that a also run 4 squirrel steps in pairs to get coverage & keep my knees apart for longer sits ( I’ll skip them on a quick afternoon hunt) but that’s not usually when I’m onesticking anyway……

Back