• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Biggest Saddle Related Flop

okccj

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on the biggest flop in terms of saddles/saddle related gear/saddle related techniques.
This could be something that didn't live up to the hype, didn't work, worked poorly, was unsafe, etc.

Let's keep this friendly and light-hearted. No extreme bashing, just stuff that you didn't care for.

I'll start:
For me it was the LWCG Ambush platform. I was really excited about this, but never could get it as solid as other platforms and would squeak under certain pressures.

i spent a bunch of time moding a molle ii military plastic frame with shoulder and waist straps (no bag) with little gear bags and pool noodles and bungees to hold all my stuff

it was too heavy and uncomfortable and designed for hauling my hawk helium sticks, which i gave up using

i probably spent a week thinking about and building the thing after work and spent decent money.....used just a few times

still a neat idea because all those holes in the plastic frame means you can put stuff anywhere you want and really have a "this thing is designed to go right here" type design

Tethrd phantom saddle for me. Not gonna lie I bought into all the hype thinking it would be the end all be all, I could only go 2-3 hours before I started to get a lot of hip pinch. I’m not bashing Tethrd, I just think there are better options.

I love those guys and am really hoping it turns out better for them but in my honest opinion I think Tethrdhas been the biggest flop.
whomever is designng thier stuff is awesome but just cant seem to get good enough materials to hold up.
They just cant seem to make much right especially the last 2 years.
Seems almost every new product they come out with has countless problems or complaints. shame because i root for them i really do

What modification did you make? Welding the side together rather than use the pin. I bought one last year but haven't used it yet.
Bob
Yes, I had the support arms welded as I was not a fan of the 4 pins. Stealth stripped the arms and used shrink wrap on the two pins. I also ditched the foot loop as I feel it was not necessary for me. I'm liking the platform but it's not ideal for really large diameter trees. I also bought the longer and shorter cables to allow me to be able to use it on either bigger or smaller diameter trees.

I bought the Barren ridge last winter and the first thing I did was weld the arms.I think it's a fantastic platform that bites really well and climbs very easily.My only issue is with the width.It's only 12" between the uprights and that limits tree diameter to about that size because they hit the tree when you climb.It it were about 3" wider,it would be much more useful.

i spent a bunch of time moding a molle ii military plastic frame with shoulder and waist straps (no bag) with little gear bags and pool noodles and bungees to hold all my stuff

it was too heavy and uncomfortable and designed for hauling my hawk helium sticks, which i gave up using

i probably spent a week thinking about and building the thing after work and spent decent money.....used just a few times

still a neat idea because all those holes in the plastic frame means you can put stuff anywhere you want and really have a "this thing is designed to go right here" type design
Tried something simialar sold it all parted out on eBay.

Back