• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bought my first rifle today

thedutchtouch

SH Member
Found a used savage mkII in 22LR at a local gun store and brought it home this afternoon. Nothing crazy but it's my first gun purchase so it's special to me! My first trip there to "see what they have" and I did the same thing I hear many people telling stories about, walk in just to look, walk out having bought something. I was planning on buying a Ruger 10/22 or a synthetic stocked gun to beat up/not care about, but I kept turning around and looking at this one instead, and for what I paid for this one we're still in a similar camp but it is a bit prettier. Still has the stickers and not much sign of use as far as this newbie's eyes can tell, and it came with a cheap tasco scope that will get the job done. Time to sight in the scope and start practicing, 350 legend and muzzleloader are next for actual deer guns, but the bow isn't going anywhere either.

This is your first firearm purchase ever?! Congrats!!!
Yeah I'm starting a bit late but I promise to study hard and catch up, I already have a list of at least 3 more guns I've decided I need. A 350 legend for a MD deer gun, a muzzleloader, again for MD deer (leaning CVA for both of those) and a 270? For other stuff out west, leaning toward Tikka t3x but that'll be last, as I can use the first two right here where I hunt (most of Maryland is straight wall cartridge for rifle, and we have a separate muzzleloader season). And shotguns, I want to learn birds some day. And handguns, but there's a whole different set of training and licensing hoops to jump through before I can buy those. And I want to learn how to reload, because naturally I want to learn everything all at once. So there's a heck of a lot to learn, I'm a decent shot naturally but nowhere near proficient with a rifle, I've shot a bit but only ever borrowed guns so practice starts now. I likely won't post about everything I buy, but this first one in my late 30s felt special.

Yeah I'm starting a bit late but I promise to study hard and catch up, I already have a list of at least 3 more guns I've decided I need. A 350 legend for a MD deer gun, a muzzleloader, again for MD deer (leaning CVA for both of those) and a 270? For other stuff out west, leaning toward Tikka t3x but that'll be last, as I can use the first two right here where I hunt (most of Maryland is straight wall cartridge for rifle, and we have a separate muzzleloader season). And shotguns, I want to learn birds some day. And handguns, but there's a whole different set of training and licensing hoops to jump through before I can buy those. And I want to learn how to reload, because naturally I want to learn everything all at once. So there's a heck of a lot to learn, I'm a decent shot naturally but nowhere near proficient with a rifle, I've shot a bit but only ever borrowed guns so practice starts now. I likely won't post about everything I buy, but this first one in my late 30s felt special.

Very Exciting and congrats again!! I remember my first one, I still have it. A bolt action .22 my grandfather gave me!

Congrats man! I can relate I bought my first gun, 10/22 takedown, at 34 years old. Picked up a 350L last spring/ early summer too lol.

I bought my daughter a Savage MK II in left hand for her first rifle. That thing is an absolute tack driver. In fact I still borrow it once in a while to go plink even though its "wrong handed". Enjoy it!

EDIT: First shot @50yds one day out plinking at a picked up brass from the range. She shoots better than me! :tearsofjoy:

1676763167099.png

Last edited:
The MKII is easily the most accurate OEM 22 out there and would put them up against the Anshutz (sp?). The cost though are the crappy mags and long overall length.

The 10/22 can be made just as accurate with far better mags but requires aftermarket parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found a used savage mkII in 22LR at a local gun store and brought it home this afternoon. Nothing crazy but it's my first gun purchase so it's special to me! My first trip there to "see what they have" and I did the same thing I hear many people telling stories about, walk in just to look, walk out having bought something. I was planning on buying a Ruger 10/22 or a synthetic stocked gun to beat up/not care about, but I kept turning around and looking at this one instead, and for what I paid for this one we're still in a similar camp but it is a bit prettier. Still has the stickers and not much sign of use as far as this newbie's eyes can tell, and it came with a cheap tasco scope that will get the job done. Time to sight in the scope and start practicing, 350 legend and muzzleloader are next for actual deer guns, but the bow isn't going anywhere either.
Excellent choice and congratulations. If you can find magazines for it, I highly suggest you get some extras. You will burn through 22 in that thing super fast.

Congratulations! Now your an American!
For what it's worth, I purchased a CVA scout single shot .44mag a few years ago. It's a great gun. Good price and gets the job done. My daughter shot her first deer with it in the fall. I have been considering getting a 350 for me, and giving her the 44. Will see..

Okay, so now you have a gun. I will help you out early and just say one word, suppressor. Thank me later.
Already doing the research and have some ideas, I see no point for this 22 but whatever I buy next will have a threaded barrel and I agree that that's a nice tool to have.

Those suppressed 22 are supposed to be the cats meow. I've thought about putting one on mine for squirrels and pest control around the house. - then I discovered archery :sweatsmile: . Also thought about one for my 350 just to be a little more discrete but I don't know if I'll pursue it

Congrats...22's are fun and cheap to shoot.

Got my wife a Rugar Mark II 22 pistol for plinking some years ago...she got bored with targets until I put one of my empty 357mag shells up on the stand. 20yds or so out, open sights, explained to her how to get the sights on it since it was covered up....first shot and shell gone.... Told her she's on her own....LOL

Secretly, I love shooting it now with the red dot on it.

I’d get the ML next, you could hunt all the gun seasons with it & then add the 350 later.

Those suppressed 22 are supposed to be the cats meow. I've thought about putting one on mine for squirrels and pest control around the house. - then I discovered archery :sweatsmile: . Also thought about one for my 350 just to be a little more discrete but I don't know if I'll pursue it

Just commit and buy one now if you think you might like to have one in the future. It'll be a year before you can use it anyway :unamused:

Back