• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bridge question

BigB

I have a Tactisaddle with a short fixed bridge. Was bought from classifieds that way. Think I would like an adjustable bridge. Have been looking at options for amsteel bridges. What are your opinions on these bridges for those who have used them. Seems like once the lock down the are hard to adjust. Was thinking of buying amsteel and making my own. Anyone have a better option? I’m big guy so not interested in trying to cut corners or being ultralight.

I have a Tactisaddle with a short fixed bridge. Was bought from classifieds that way. Think I would like an adjustable bridge. Have been looking at options for amsteel bridges. What are your opinions on these bridges for those who have used them. Seems like once the lock down the are hard to adjust. Was thinking of buying amsteel and making my own. Anyone have a better option? I’m big guy so not interested in trying to cut corners or being ultralight.
I love amsteel bridges. They are pretty small diameter, light, super strong and they roll through the carabiner easier than any other bridge that I have tried. They are pretty hard to adjust once they are weighted but some of that is also the friction hitch you use. Different hitches have different levels of “slip and grip”. There are several companies out that make and sell adjustable amsteel bridges. If you do make your own be careful with the splice. Make sure it’s long enough to hold and be careful not to snag the inner fibers as you pull it through it’s self. Outside of them being a little hard to adjust, I think you’ll like it.

Adjustable is nice if you're not using a rope climbing or one stick method. If you use a rope climbing method/one stick, two bridges are the way to go.
Just curious what makes you say this? I climb on ropes almost exclusively and it’s why I went with an adjustable bridge. I can shorten it during the climb then lengthen it once I am at height. Why would I run two separate bridges to accomplish what one single bridge can do?

I love amsteel bridges. They are pretty small diameter, light, super strong and they roll through the carabiner easier than any other bridge that I have tried. They are pretty hard to adjust once they are weighted but some of that is also the friction hitch you use. Different hitches have different levels of “slip and grip”. There are several companies out that make and sell adjustable amsteel bridges. If you do make your own be careful with the splice. Make sure it’s long enough to hold and be careful not to snag the inner fibers as you pull it through it’s self. Outside of them being a little hard to adjust, I think you’ll like it.
What hitch do you recommend. What about whoopie sling bridge any thoughts on those?

Just curious what makes you say this? I climb on ropes almost exclusively and it’s why I went with an adjustable bridge. I can shorten it during the climb then lengthen it once I am at height. Why would I run two separate bridges to accomplish what one single bridge can do?
Next year I want to use ropes. Seems like a truly safe way up and down. Using presets seems like the way to go if you can.

What hitch do you recommend. What about whoopie sling bridge any thoughts on those?
I personally wouldn’t use a Whoopie sling because it only holds when it’s tensioned. I don’t want to sound biased here but I prefer the Blake’s hitch so that you can use two identical sizes of amsteel to make your bridge. I also found it is easier to get to move after being weighted than a prusik is…. But some of the double eye hitches such as a distel or schwabisch also are easier to break than a standard prusik loop.

If you want to check one out without a diy option

Because of the aforementioned locking down of fhe prussic when weighted. At least on amsteel. Id rather not fight it at height. Just easier to use a short bridge then hang off the adjustable

I personally wouldn’t use a Whoopie sling because it only holds when it’s tensioned. I don’t want to sound biased here but I prefer the Blake’s hitch so that you can use two identical sizes of amsteel to make your bridge. I also found it is easier to get to move after being weighted than a prusik is…. But some of the double eye hitches such as a distel or schwabisch also are easier to break than a standard prusik loop.
So doing Blakes hitch. Do you use single length and tie the Blake’s on each side? Probably stupid question…lol

Because of the aforementioned locking down of fhe prussic when weighted. At least on amsteel. Id rather not fight it at height. Just easier to use a short bridge then hang off the adjustable
Yea it locking down was why I went with a different hitch altogether. Once that 6 wrap prusik sets, it’s not fun breaking it loose. I started with a regular non adjustable rope bridge. Then was hooking on small eye to eye secondary amsteel bridges. Eventually I went through the cycle until I settled on the adjustable amsteel. Thanks for answering lol I thought the appeal of adjustable bridges were geared towards comfort and rope climbers. I guess it’s true what they say about no two people ever like identical things

Yea it locking down was why I went with a different hitch altogether. Once that 6 wrap prusik sets, it’s not fun breaking it loose. I started with a regular non adjustable rope bridge. Then was hooking on small eye to eye secondary amsteel bridges. Eventually I went through the cycle until I settled on the adjustable amsteel. Thanks for answering lol I thought the appeal of adjustable bridges were geared towards comfort and rope climbers. I guess it’s true what they say about no two people ever like identical things
I guess i could use my linesman's to unweight the bridge once my tether is set but i just found it easier to convert the linesman's to a short bridge.

And im a skinny 34" waist so i can almost just beener together the bridge loops and not need a second bridge lol. Which is also why its such a pain to adjust the prussic as theres not much room to work without sacrificing rope gain when climbing

Last edited:
So doing Blakes hitch. Do you use single length and tie the Blake’s on each side? Probably stupid question…lol
No I splice the rope almost all the way back through itself. And leave a 7” eye on each piece. I make one piece with a finished length of 38” (so that I can tie the stopper knot and still have a 32” piece. I do the other piece exactly the same way almost full bury with locking Brummell and a 7” eye but with a finished length of around 22”. I perform a double girth hitch (4wrap prusik) on each bridge loop, Then use the shorter piece of amsteel to tie the hitch onto the longer piece. Finish it off with a stopper knot. You end up with a hitch that is slightly larger than a prusik, your bridge loops are always proportional since the amsteel legs are the same diameter. And the hitch is easier to break and handle than a prusik hitch.799A1DE4-BFC6-438D-B514-8686A668756B.jpegA0A99A34-6DCE-4080-AA65-2265D3C1A9EF.jpegEAA2880D-078B-44F2-B057-415F382379EF.jpeg

No I splice the rope almost all the way back through itself. And leave a 7” eye on each piece. I make one piece with a finished length of 38” (so that I can tie the stopper knot and still have a 32” piece. I do the other piece exactly the same way almost full bury with locking Brummell and a 7” eye but with a finished length of around 22”. I perform a double girth hitch (4wrap prusik) on each bridge loop, Then use the shorter piece of amsteel to tie the hitch onto the longer piece. Finish it off with a stopper knot. You end up with a hitch that is slightly larger than a prusik, your bridge loops are always proportional since the amsteel legs are the same diameter. And the hitch is easier to break and handle than a prusik hitch.View attachment 59351View attachment 59352View attachment 59353
Awesome thank you for that!

Worth noting the bridge on my saddle is 2 seasons old and it has seen some wear down here in the Florida swamps and palm hammocks. We go through nasty stuff but she’s still holding very strong. The top picture is what you start with. I use 15’ of 1/4” amsteel cut it to 6’ for the short piece and 9’ for the long piece. I measure out 42” on the long piece then the 14” for the eye. Fold it back and bunch it up for the locked Brummell. I then bury the entire splice and cut the outer piece 4” longer than the bury. When I am done splicing it, I pull the free tag end back into itself as well to lock the thread in. This allows you to not use heat shrink to secure the ends if you don’t want to. I start with 22” on the short piece plus the same 14” for the eye. Make the Brummell again then splice the bury, again leaving the cover piece 4” longer than the inner piece (core). I pull the free end back into itself. Since you aren’t selling yours and having to worry about ridiculous “patent pending” nonsense, you could go ahead and just cut the core and the cover even and heat shrink the ends. Double Girth hitch the eyes onto your bridge loops and tie the Blake’s hitch. I have even came up with a way to make it an openable bridge that still holds your position on the bridge loops if that is preferred.

Last edited:
I had an Amsteel bridge but didn't like how tight it gripped after sitting a while. Switched to RescTech and have been much happier. Also, I one-stick + rappel and wouldn't swap out my adjustable bridge for anything.

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

My second short bridge is girth hitched on one end with a biner on the other…..I keep it hooked on my right side til I’m ready for it. My main bridge is long and I use it for climbing (1stick) and hanging out at height. When it’s time to rappel I add my belay device and connect to the short bridge . This allows me to switch over without ever untethering and is very simple.
I also use the short bridge for redundancy. When I’m at hunting height I connect my second bridge by running the carabiner through the prussik loop then hook the biner to the other side. I’ve tested hanging from one side in case of catastrophic failure and it would surely be catastrophic……I’d almost rather fall! With my short bridge running through the prussik I’ll always be centered even if my main bridge should fail.
72391DE5-7552-42A5-A58D-552FA57084BF.jpeg

This photo was the way I had it connected before I got rid of that carabiner and started running the bridge through the prussik. That fluff on my main bridge was some of the bury poking out. I pulled it out a little, trimmed it back then it disappeared back into itself and seems fine…….i do like a second bridge for multiple reasons.

This year I've been climbing exclusively on my one adjustable Oplux bridge on my CGM Sidewinder with Amsteel prusiks for the bridge length adjustment and it has worked fine. Last year I hunted mostly out of the Tactisaddle and added an adjustable Amsteel bridge to it using that for one sticking and then using the stock webbing bridge once at hunting height to hunt from. Two reasons for this.... first, it gave me confidence. Second, I could really torque down the amsteel adjustable bridge keeping it very short to aide in one-sticking and then once at HH I didn't have to bother with the adjustment. I just went to the webbing bridge which the length was perfect for me to hunt from. I think I didn't want to use my bridge for both one sticking and hunting as I felt it would beat on them too much. That was just me building up my confidence in the system. But now I just use the one adjustable bridge and have had no qualms whatsoever.

Back