• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bridge

LIBowman84

I've been at it a few years now and was tossing around idea of 1/8 inch amsteel bridge, brummel with a full length burry, thoughts?

Hard pass from me! If you said LB maybe…..but still sketches me out. What do you hope to gain, from this project?? Not being a jerk , genuinely asking……
Just tossing around idea really, like everything find ways to have less bulk

Hard pass from me! If you said LB maybe…..but still sketches me out. What do you hope to gain, from this project?? Not being a jerk , genuinely asking……
Just tossing around idea really, like everything find ways to have less bulk
What’s your current setup? I’ve found my favorite so far is oplux 8mm (harder to find) rescue tech 8mm is almost identical. That’s for the bridge & 6mm sterling trc for a hitch ( if your going adjustable )
Tehtrd phantom with stock bridge, I have no complaints.
I have the 1/8 material sitting around

Not exactly the same but most 1/8th amsteel things like daisy chain attachments come with a 500lbs rating. If you fell enough you would exceed that. I personally would advise against it.

Appreciate the feed back, I knew I'd be cutting it close, was just seeing if anyone has tested anything before I went through with it

So, we all take risks in this activity of hunting. Taking those risks in a saddle amps it up some. I have hunted ONLY from DIY saddles for the past 13+ years so I take them too.

Quick question for you - have you ever slipped on a step while climbing? Or had a kick-out on an aider? Or any other unexpected occurrence at a repectable height?

An 1/8" bridge will likely work without failing, especially if it is a full bury and the terminal ends arent compromised with excessive knots or other things that would degrade the overall strength of the bridge - but what honestly do you gain? More importantly even if you were anticipating a catastrophic failure, you would not be able to control your fall. You would smack down on your back in the middle of your hunting area, and for what?

So to mitigate this risk you go with a slightly different thickness of a bridge and sacrifice something else to save the weight of a couple ounces at best, likely less than that.

Not criticism of your post and question, just giving my opinion. Bulk is saved by using a saddle to begin with over a conventional stand. To save weight, only bring 2 arrows - one for a deer, the other for the pesky squirrel that makes you think it is a deer, or a pistol over a rifle, or...

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

I've been at it a few years now and was tossing around idea of 1/8 inch amsteel bridge, brummel with a full length burry, thoughts?
Someone mentioned 500 lbs for 1/8” amsteel, that would be incorrect. 1/8” amsteel has a 2700 lbs break strength. That would catch most falls and if you broke it, your body would already be broke from the force BUT that’s when it’s brand new. My bigger concern is that it wears and frays over time that it would weaken. Another concern would be if you use a friction hitch to make an adjustable length, that you’ll be going with a smaller rope for that and also 1/8” is very thin so it wouldn’t stand up to heat friction as well as thicker amsteel would. Personally I wouldn’t recommend going any smaller than 3/16” for my bridge.

2700 lbs for the outer Amsteel, plus 2700 lbs for the full bury, minus 5-10% for locked brummel, not needed for that long of a bury, then multiply by two because it is being used in a basket configuration might be closer to break strength, but like stated above might wear quickly and easier to cut.

How heavy is an 8mm or 10mm rope bridge? You’re talking about the difference in not wearing underwear. Or taking a piss before you hit the woods. Or not eating that extra helping at thanksgiving. You get my drift. Don’t cut corners on **** that doesn’t matter.

This is a timely thread. I made a shorter second bridge out of 3/16” just yesterday. I feel like I could pull my house with it, but I’ll still put weight on it with back up before I trust it. I like how clean it is and was thinking it’d be even stronger than the 8mm rope I was using. I’d be really skeered of 1/8”, but that’s some strong stuff .

Back