• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Building my climbing aider HELP

Zddog

Hey everyone,

So I’m finally going to build my own climbing aider and give it a shot to just use the aider instead of my lone wolf and muddy steps this year. I’ve attached some pictures of the stuff I’m using. I went to REI and bought 30 feet of 1” tubular webbing as everyone says to use on here (probably watched Garrett’s @DIY-Sportsman’s video 20 times of making your own aider). I’m going to try and use vinyl tubing for the base of my steps along with the side of it so it gives a defined shape to slide my boot into on the way up, but more importantly on the way down in the dark.

I’ve but the video below for your enjoyment. Great video even though he says he doesn’t use this method I figured I’m going to give it a shot.

I’ve also bout extra tubular webbing because I hunt gamelands and though @g2outdoors bow holder for public land with his tubular webbing design was genius.

The only problem I have G2Outdoors is where do you buy that Clipter hook that you have your bow onto? If anyone knows please provide a like it would be greatly appreciated.
11aa568425f9f63ee235652ea0c3bd96.jpg

b2f6f51f9beb390c6275dfc239110d0e.jpg

Video below for your enjoyment

I’ll post pictures of it when it’s complete. Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to make this better please reply.
I’ve seen a bunch of videos showing people using a cobra design for the step along with the 11mm static rope but no one using a vinyl tube (not sure if there’s a reason for that or not and that’s why I figured I’d try that method)
If the vinyl tube doesn’t work for the base of the step I’ll probably cut it off and weave a cobra weave.

775b92793e44994e1224554af3e0bafd.jpg

0ec88a3aa1b9b264eeb13982695a0cb2.jpg

c41be9c14d960ca8fb89d8c8c6c3a2ed.jpg

Finally does anyone know if this carabiner is a good carabiner for my tether and will work/fit in the ropeman 1. I just bought it and will return it if it does work.
ae63296700b081d330937a81925fa275.jpg

56ca1fc011e564df7c594e18b2b49f13.jpg

b39013d5a247758eb61161cbaa06fcbf.jpg

dc5702bf008da7e980f4393b3fddd3d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look up heroclip on Amazon. It's the same thing as a cliptor....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Those biners should work fine.Most places won't take back climbing gear anyway.

Yeah that’s what I was afraid of but I asked the manager there and they said they do but they can’t put it back into the floor until they send it back to the company to be inspected.

Lulabop Qlipter by Carabiner Hanger with Rotating Folding Hook - Strong Clip for Camping, Travel; Adventure Tool; Sports Accessory; Organizing Gadget; Baby Gear (Phoenix Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O0GDXM2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_49lLBbF94WGYN

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info on the Qlipter. Also, thank you live2hunt for the heroclip too. Think im gonna take a look at both of them for this season after i test out my nite biner.

Thanks for the info on the Qlipter. Also, thank you live2hunt for the heroclip too. Think im gonna take a look at both of them for this season after i test out my nite biner.
I was going to go the Qlipter route also after watching @g2outdoors video, but I found this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003GV8FF2?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

It's not incredibly heavy duty, but it seems awesome for my bow, grunt, and rangefinder. I use Greg's other idea of a length of paracord and nock loop material as a prussic with a light duty s-biner for a pack hanger.

Update on my aider. Have the tubs cut and slid on, but I’m polish and have to take it apart because I make the step 10inches wide the sides 6 1/2 inches but didn’t realize I needed to slide two 6 1/2 inch tubs on the same side. Tomorrow going to take it apart and start redoing the knots.

9d95fac555a6be0f22445a5aafe4905e.jpg

c720b497fbfec0984de5c249134fce74.jpg
f64fe9da52470993462546cc81822595.jpg

Massdrop has a Hero Clip 2 pack for $29.99 for the next two days if you're a member. If your're not and you want to buy them PM me your email address and I'll send you a link to join and you'll get an additional $10 off your order.

Even get a choice of color, lol (Note: This drop is for two clips. At checkout, you’ll have your choice of color for each: black, blue, green, grey, orange, red, or Seattle.)

I just bought two and saw that it's free shipping as well. And, if you're wondering wth color "seattle" is like I was, it's lime and blue, lol.

ETA: The site is safe and legit, I've been using it for several years

I picked up the Hawk Hookster Gear Hook (at ****s for like $8) that attaches to anything via the rubber coated wire. Worked great.

I tried climbing like this using a commercial 5 step aider. I had a difficult time getting my foot in the next step due to the inline design had the next step closer to the tree than the first. They progressively get closer the higher you went, meaning closer to the top of the aider. Very unstable as well. Using the big loops and limiting yourself to 2 or 3 might help, but aiders are a kick out waiting to happen.

I think commercial aiders vary greatly in how stable they are. I find the black diamond 6 step aider is reasonable easy to get my size 11 foot into and if I climb with good technique I seldom have a kickout.
You are correct using an aider on a tree and not off a stick or WE step is a problem as you near the top of the aider.

I picked up the Hawk Hookster Gear Hook (at ****s for like $8) that attaches to anything via the rubber coated wire. Worked great.

I tried climbing like this using a commercial 5 step aider. I had a difficult time getting my foot in the next step due to the inline design had the next step closer to the tree than the first. They progressively get closer the higher you went, meaning closer to the top of the aider. Very unstable as well. Using the big loops and limiting yourself to 2 or 3 might help, but aiders are a kick out waiting to happen.
I think that this is really easy to correct by adjusting the way that your foot is aligned when climbing. I don't use a linemans belt but just my RCH and tether. I will usually grab my aider, pull it away from the tree and step, step, step....top step is my right foot, so I simply dangle a bit, pull the top step of the aider away from the tree and keep going.

I think that this is really easy to correct by adjusting the way that your foot is aligned when climbing. I don't use a linemans belt but just my RCH and tether. I will usually grab my aider, pull it away from the tree and step, step, step....top step is my right foot, so I simply dangle a bit, pull the top step of the aider away from the tree and keep going.

I will try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can pull your weight "up" with 1 hand? With aider loaded no way I can pull it away from tree. I'd have to see a video

I actually have both hands free since I am using a tether.

Ah I see now. My aider was inline ladder style. Yours is offset, so load on center strap still allows steps to freely move to put your feet in. With mine you can't do that. That's where I thought you were lifting the whole aider with you on it, off the tree with 1 hand. Lol

Back