• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cam cleat?

BTaylor

SH Member
I am going to order the medium ronstan c-cleat. What rope or cord do y'all prefer? Keep in mind this will be for a combined one stick/mission platform. Anything better than sterling trc? Also what is the preferred attachment method for the rope?

I've been using Beal kevlar 5.5mm from EWO for the past 3 years with a harken micro. I've had zero issues and no reason to look for anything any better.

I drill a hole in the side of the square tubing and tie a stopper knot that stays on the inside of the tubing. Makes for a very clean attachment to the stick. If you do this make sure to deburr and smooth the hole that you drill so that it doesn't wear through the rope over time.

I used Sterling 7mm accessory cord last season. Recently switched to a stronger Tuefelberger Sirius Reep Schnur 8mm cord (it’s pretty close to the TRC just fatter, easier to handle… mostly it was available at my local arborist supplier lol). I have attached the cord to the stick via a figure 8 or a scaffold knot between the platform and the cam cleat. Both work well. Just be sure to tie a backup stopper knot in the tail.

I've been using Beal kevlar 5.5mm from EWO for the past 3 years with a harken micro. I've had zero issues and no reason to look for anything any better.

I drill a hole in the side of the square tubing and tie a stopper knot that stays on the inside of the tubing. Makes for a very clean attachment to the stick. If you do this make sure to deburr and smooth the hole that you drill so that it doesn't wear through the rope over time.
What type stopper knot? Any particular reason for not drilling through and putting the stopper on the backside where it could be seen? Interference with the rope going into the cleat? I could see that being a potential issue.

What type stopper knot? Any particular reason for not drilling through and putting the stopper on the backside where it could be seen? Interference with the rope going into the cleat? I could see that being a potential issue.
Just a normal double overhand stopper knot.

You definitely could drill straight through and tie the stopper on the opposite side. I just like how clean it is with the knot on the inside. I will say that you will probably need to us smaller cord like the 5.5mm to have room for the knot to fit into the 1" square tubing.

It would be easier to do it like you described because you would not have to take the stick apart to thread the cord down into the tubing. But the extra effort is worth it to me.

You definitely could drill straight through and tie the stopper on the opposite side. I just like how clean it is with the knot on the inside. I will say that you will probably need to us smaller cord like the 5.5mm to have room for the knot to fit into the 1" square tubing.

It would be easier to do it like you described because you would not have to take the stick apart to thread the cord down into the tubing. But the extra effort is worth it to me.
Just checked real quick and both a double overhand and the stevedore will work using trc but my post is 1.25" rather 1".

And I bet it looks sharp! I second using the Beal 5.5 for sure!

I drilled mine straight through several years ago, between the cam cleat bolts. I used an 8mm rope. I like to be able to see the knot and the ability to pull it through to check for wear. It's just good for peace of mind, but honestly I've not had any rope wear from the tube at all.

I am going to order the medium ronstan c-cleat. What rope or cord do y'all prefer? Keep in mind this will be for a combined one stick/mission platform. Anything better than sterling trc? Also what is the preferred attachment method for the rope?
I think I saw a post by you talking about putting the mission on a stick. I posted a few pics of my DIY job with an EDP. Like you I like a little more real estate. I just use 1/4" amsteel with a spliced loop, girth hitched around the stick just below a150 harken. I really didn't want to drill any holes in mine. Never had a problem with wear or slipping once tight. Good luck!

I think I saw a post by you talking about putting the mission on a stick. I posted a few pics of my DIY job with an EDP. Like you I like a little more real estate. I just use 1/4" amsteel with a spliced loop, girth hitched around the stick just below a150 harken. I really didn't want to drill any holes in mine. Never had a problem with wear or slipping once tight. Good luck!
Did you do a full bury?

This is the way I did it.
5c6f8f3348a60f88441bb27c6ed0335c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

girth hitched around the stick just below a150 harken. I really didn't want to drill any holes in mine. Never had a problem with wear or slipping once tight. Good luck!
That's what I did, Sterling TRC scaffold-knotted underneath the cam cleat. I didn't want to risk an surprise bur damaging my line where I couldn't see it. Once I weighted it, the scaffold knot locked down and hasn't moved. I've also vet-wrapped the stick, which would prevent the line from sliding down if it wanted to.

Back