• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Canopy Hitch question

bpz89

SRT Canopy hitch problem… excuse the art work… in the illustration the ”red” rope is what I run into a lot when trying to girth hitch the tree rather than the limb(if the limb is too small etc.) the girth hitch stops to “ short” on me. Note the blue rope and how the girth hitch is higher and not ”sagging” . What is the secret to getting the hitch like the blue rope or what am I doing wrong.

a55c1947be4af44ba249e5f143e7a7cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine often ended up that way. You can try walking the rope back from the tree but otherwise never caused me problems.

This is also why I largely switched to base anchor.

Mine often ended up that way. You can try walking the rope back from the tree but otherwise never caused me problems.

This is also why I largely switched to base anchor.

For Srt?

SRT Canopy hitch problem… excuse the art work… in the illustration the ”red” rope is what I run into a lot when trying to girth hitch the tree rather than the limb(if the limb is too small etc.) the girth hitch stops to “ short” on me. Note the blue rope and how the girth hitch is higher and not ”sagging” . What is the secret to getting the hitch like the blue rope or what am I doing wrong.

I had success stepping back from the trunk und do a "roll cast" with the climbing rope and immediately pull. It's also advantageous to pull the climbing rope and the retrieval rope alternately.

For Srt?

Yep. Having the canopy sag was never an issue climbing except for in my mind. Base anchor largely solved that, is infinitely easier to retrieve but is limiting on trees.

Thanks folks!

I found that stepping back away from the tree and then alternating between pulling the pull down rope and then pulling the tag end of the climbing rope will walk the girth hitch up the tree a bit more. I've also had it where it didn't go all the way up, but I just make sure to weight it and kind of bounce on it a little while at ground level to make sure it's not gonna slip before I start climbing. I've yet to have it slip on me while climbing.

It will only be a concern if you climb close the choked loop, the loop will want to get smaller the closer you get to it. A small drop will happen as the rope self adjusts. Easy to just periodically try to tighten as you go up.

Did you put this on Facebook as well? I saw a post like this and everyone was saying ohm lockers lol even though it was a SRT question.

the way I’ve found is easiest is to step away from the tree to decrease angle, tension the line and whip it a couple times. It’ll cinch up (unless there is a small branch (you can’t see) somewhere preventing it. Honestly though the little bit of sag won’t hurt because it’ll still cinch and girth hitch the tree

Back