• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cant get my platform to seat

deleted_user04

Don't beat me up to badly.

I've used the predator and now the seeker. I've never been able to seat a platform like I see other people do. Either the top is off the tree and allows side pressure. Or the top is biting but the bottom kicks out on side pressure. I've done the, put some ass into pushing down. Don't work. Tried the seat it, cam it, repeat.

I normally use the provided buckles. I've since went to the USA XL. Both methods do the same thing.

Tips or what am I doing wrong.

My predator I have to really pull the strap. Not as much with my mission. But end up kinda walking them down to snug them up. Cam it over. Open it again. Wiggle some. Cam again. Depends on the angle of the tree, type of tree, and shape. But to get a good bite for me, it usually involves setting it a few times.

I have seen this question asked so many times...I cant ever recall a time where I had the least bit of difficulty camming my predator platform and it was not super tight to the tree...I used the OG strap and now I use an 8' piece of amsteel...locks to the tree tight every time...

When you put the platform on the tree, first fold the platform out and hold it up to the tree. Look at the angle of the platform with the teeth and the post teeth both against the tree to determine if you need to adjust the level of the platform to work on that part of the tree. If so, screw in or out the leveling knob and then repeat the above again to confirm you have the angle you want once the platform is mounted.

Now fold the platform back up. Get the post of the platform strapped to the tree first. Keep the platform portion angled up at this point so that the teeth of it are barely touching the tree or even not touching the tree at all.

Now snug up the strap as tight as you can get it by hand. Make sure the strap is perpendicular to the post at this point. Now put your hand or forearm on top of the post. Push straight down on the post decently hard but not with all your strength- just enough to get the post to slide down and set a bit to the tree maybe 1-1.5” or so.

Now with the platform like this, fold the platform portion down and continue to push the platform down until the teeth of it dig well into the tree bark and until you hit your level adjustment knob and cant go any further with it. When you cam the platform down, this will further set the post and teeth really tight to the tree and will pull the strap REALLY tight.

Now your platform should be super tight and secure to the tree and you should get no wiggle at all, other than maybe the metal flexing slightly under weight.

If you are having a hard time camming the platform down and can’t reach your level knob, it probably means you have your strap slightly too tight. If it is a cam buckle strap, just give the button a quick push and that usually gives just enough slack to resolve this issue. If you’re using a rope or some other kind of tether for the platform, you will have to make whatever small adjustment to that kind of system to get it slightly more loose to overcome this issue. May mean taking the whole thing off and making the adjustment to the rope and then starting again. Just depends on the kind of strapping you’re using for your platform.

Making the tiny adjustments like this are one of several reasons I still like to use the old fashioned cam buckle straps. Even though they’re heavier, they’re so easy and quick to adjust if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried an amsteel daisy chain on the predator? Used it all last season on probably 40 different trees and had no issues. Daisy chain goes around tree then around button on stand and then back through a loop in daisy chain forming a truckers hitch then tie off with half hitch by the tree. lower platform and good to go. If anything I am more worried about over tightening.

Don't beat me up to badly.

I've used the predator and now the seeker. I've never been able to seat a platform like I see other people do. Either the top is off the tree and allows side pressure. Or the top is biting but the bottom kicks out on side pressure. I've done the, put some ass into pushing down. Don't work. Tried the seat it, cam it, repeat.

I normally use the provided buckles. I've since went to the USA XL. Both methods do the same thing.

Tips or what am I doing wrong.
Momentarily rotate the platform 45 degrees to the tree. Pull the cam strap as tight as possible. Rotate the platform back 45 degrees. Cam the platform over. Rock solid. (Using the video above as a reference point, the “45 degree rotation” step would be done at the 1:52 mark in the video posted above).

Works when using Amsteel daisy chains on climbing sticks, works when using a platform on a tree with a cam strap.

As a generality, the predator platform tends to slide down the tree slightly more than the mission or EDP. Changing out the top bracket on the predator also helps in getting a better initial bite into the tree, either a EWO, batwing, or beast stand-off / batwing bracket as options.

Back