• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carabiner choices / first gear tinker

fwafwow

Oct 18, 2022
I’m buying what I hope are the best or close (think “alpha glass” optics analogy) for carabiners for my LB and tree tether. EDIT - the tree tether will be girth hitched to the tree. The carabiner in question is from the TT to my Dryad Killdeer.

I think I’m 90% set on the DMM Ultra O for my LB, in part because I have a Kong Duck. And I’m pretty close to going with Petzl Screw Lock with red indicator for my tether. Is there a benefit to going with the same carabiner for both? My tether and LB are exactly the same specs, so maybe familiarity and identical setups are beneficial? Would also be easier to order 2 of the same if I buy from DMM.

Last edited:

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
I’m buying what I hope are the best or close (think “alpha glass” optics analogy) for carabiners for my LB and tree tether. EDIT - the tree tether will be girth hitched to the tree. The carabiner in question is from the TT to my Dryad Killdeer.

I think I’m 90% set on the DMM Ultra O for my LB, in part because I have a Kong Duck. And I’m pretty close to going with Petzl Screw Lock with red indicator for my tether. Is there a benefit to going with the same carabiner for both? My tether and LB are exactly the same specs, so maybe familiarity and identical setups are beneficial? Would also be easier to order 2 of the same if I buy from DMM.
The DMM ultra is a good biner. As an alternative I’d recommend the Kong Ovalone. It’s designed to work with the duck.

Spartan

Dec 2, 2021
REI and moosejaw are great reputable sources for biners. They have sales often and free shipping if over $50 or so, which is an easy target for the gear we purchase. I prefer the smallest locking biners possible (such as DMM Phantom or Metolius Bravo), but the Kong Duck can be picky, as you mentioned.

Reactions: fwafwow

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
i've seen it suggested to use the same locking mechanism on all carabiners....that way you don't have a mix up and think a screw lock is an autolock

fwafwow

Oct 18, 2022
i've seen it suggested to use the same locking mechanism on all carabiners....that way you don't have a mix up and think a screw lock is an autolock
Thanks. I'm going with screw locks on all I use. And like some have said in other threads, even though I locked mine shut the other day, I periodically checked them when sitting.

fwafwow

Oct 18, 2022
Thanks to all who replied. FWIW/FYI I went with the DMM Ultra O Screwgate for the KD/LB and DMM Phantom Screwgate. I also decided to get a few extras - the Metolius Bravo and a Nano 22.