• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carrying Heliums & Predator

JBDaddy

Anyone ever noticed that the predator fits right up against the standoffs for helium sticks? I wonder if that was planned.

Today I played tetris with it a bit and figured this out:

predator fits heliums.jpg

If you happen to have a predator tail, you can wrap it around the stack of sticks and hold them all together without using the bungees or a gear tie:
predator-tail-wrap-around-sticks.jpg

And if you happen to use an aider that's just an open loop with two square knots that pull together to form it - you can also pull the knots apart:
aider-knots-open.jpg

Then you can pull the knots apart, slip them over the top end of the stick-stack and re-tighten, and run the other end around the bottom end and around the predator standoff (it's shown in the predator-wrap pic above), and it makes a good strap to carry the whole thing: No un-used, extra pieces.
sticks-stand-aider-packed.jpg

I also added small paracord loops on my sticks and on the predator, because the kydex molle hook idea for carrying them up the tree is awesome, and they're not hard to do - although I couldn't seem to get the J-hook at the bottom ends to form, so screw it: I just drilled a hole in the bottom ends and tied a small paracord knot to the molle loop to keep them from pulling out from where I put them.

paracord-on-stick.jpg kydex-molle-hook.jpg

So there's how I spent part of my Christmas vacation. Hope it helps someone else.

Very nice! I like it. Setting the Predator in the step like this will help reduce the wear on my pack where the sharp edges of the standoff push on it.

I dont have a predator, use a xop diy. I have back pack straps on my platform and attach the heliums to it. Love this setup. Not sure it would be as silent using the predator since its so small, but give it a try.

Thanks @JBDaddy, I've used this the last couple of days and it works great! Awesome catch and thanks for posting! You've improved the packability of my set a bunch.

Anyone ever noticed that the predator fits right up against the standoffs for helium sticks? I wonder if that was planned.

Today I played tetris with it a bit and figured this out:

View attachment 8744

If you happen to have a predator tail, you can wrap it around the stack of sticks and hold them all together without using the bungees or a gear tie:
View attachment 8746

And if you happen to use an aider that's just an open loop with two square knots that pull together to form it - you can also pull the knots apart:
View attachment 8745

Then you can pull the knots apart, slip them over the top end of the stick-stack and re-tighten, and run the other end around the bottom end and around the predator standoff (it's shown in the predator-wrap pic above), and it makes a good strap to carry the whole thing: No un-used, extra pieces.
View attachment 8747

I also added small paracord loops on my sticks and on the predator, because the kydex molle hook idea for carrying them up the tree is awesome, and they're not hard to do - although I couldn't seem to get the J-hook at the bottom ends to form, so screw it: I just drilled a hole in the bottom ends and tied a small paracord knot to the molle loop to keep them from pulling out from where I put them.

View attachment 8749 View attachment 8750

So there's how I spent part of my Christmas vacation. Hope it helps someone else.

My Predator is too wide to fit between the standoffs of my Heliums. It may be just excess casting material. Do you guys have Gen 1 or Gen 2 Predators?

Back