• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carrying water on saddle?

PlaSlayer

So this is going to be my first season saddle hunting and I’m fairly determined to not wear a backpack going into the woods (sticks in one hand, bow in the other, platform off back of saddle) we’ll see how that opinion lasts when I go to test it… anyways. I’m trying to think of how I’m going to carry water in and found some Molle Nalgene pouches like the stowable version from Arbor Arms. Does anyone else bring water into the tree with them like this or does everyone just use a backpack?

Personally I really dislike having anything hanging off the saddle. I can't keep the thing from sagging to my knees. With water and platform and tether/lineman's you're probably looking a 5-6 pounds minimum hanging off your waist belt. It may work for you but I just don't care for it. I'm much happier using a pack (or a turkey vest in my case).

You can try it, but that sounds miserable. I don’t mind a few thing’s hanging as I climb but walking in with a platform is going to put that saddle at your ankles especially if your hands are full. Not giving you a hard time but what is the perceived advantage of no pack vs what you’re describing?

You can try it, but that sounds miserable. I don’t mind a few thing’s hanging as I climb but walking in with a platform is going to put that saddle at your ankles especially if your hands are full. Not giving you a hard time but what is the perceived advantage of no pack vs what you’re describing?
Just don’t want the additional bulk of carrying a bag in if I really don’t have to. That’s kinda been my philosophy with everything is how much can I carry as efficiently as possible. Like I said I might try it one time and realize I’ve made a horrible mistake!

I’ve hung a solo scout off my saddle and forgot it was there. Water is the double edged sword down here in the south. 3/4 of the year, to have enough to matter it weighs enough and takes up enough space I need a bladder, which sucks because I’d love to ditch my pack. Not sure where you are but if you figure it out, let us all know.

I do like the look of that Arbor Arms pouch. The backpacking companies have nice ones too, but they don’t roll up (initial ascent, Exo Mtn gear, MR, etc).

I think I’d recommend saddlespenders if your gonna go the MOLLE on the saddle route for water. Runners can do it, you’d think we cold too…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just don’t want the additional bulk of carrying a bag in if I really don’t have to. That’s kinda been my philosophy with everything is how much can I carry as efficiently as possible. Like I said I might try it one time and realize I’ve made a horrible mistake!
See how it goes….. maybe you’ll like it. Not like youlld have alot invested if you don’t. For my minimalist setup I like my kite, (EWO onestick & ROS both on/in eberlestock bandit) it’s super small & rides well….. carry my bow & have a free hand nothing bulky hanging off my saddle. Even more compact is a hand drill & bolts if legal….

I carry a few 16oz bottles that are frozen in the side pouches on my backpack and I keep a partially frozen one on the back of my saddle attached to the mollies in a camelbak insulated water holder. And my saddle doesn’t sag from the gear bags, water pouch and other stuff all being on my saddle mollies. It keeps the water close and easily accessible. Then when I finish one, the frozen ones in the backpack have thawed enough.
IMG_7698.jpeg

I carry a few 16oz bottles that are frozen in the side pouches on my backpack and I keep a partially frozen one on the back of my saddle attached to the mollies in a camelbak insulated water holder. And my saddle doesn’t sag from the gear bags, water pouch and other stuff all being on my saddle mollies. It keeps the water close and easily accessible. Then when I finish one, the frozen ones in the backpack have thawed enough.
View attachment 84545
Only in florida!

That sounds awful. No advice I’m afraid as my saddle stays in my pack till I get to the base of the tree I’m going to climb. My goal is to be as hands free as possible walking in. A pack isn’t taking up any space. It’s on your back.

So this is going to be my first season saddle hunting and I’m fairly determined to not wear a backpack going into the woods (sticks in one hand, bow in the other, platform off back of saddle) we’ll see how that opinion lasts when I go to test it… anyways. I’m trying to think of how I’m going to carry water in and found some Molle Nalgene pouches like the stowable version from Arbor Arms. Does anyone else bring water into the tree with them like this or does everyone just use a backpack?
What platform do you have and how do you secure it to your saddle for your walk in and out?

It is very possible that your platform will be bouncing back and forth a little or a lot which will get annoying quickly.

I would suggest looking at the very minimalist Predator platform pack or something similar from another company.It stows your platform for you andyou can attach molle water pouches or other small pouches to it also as you dial in your style.

To be honest I used to carry water but, since I have started my mental and physical rehab I have reconsidered even needing water when hunting.
i rarely hunt all day and when i hunt it’s usually around 3-4 hour sit. Now this is me and ive learned this in the new things im learning through my therapies.
if i am getting thirsty enough to need a drink in a few hours. I am definitely not drinking enough water throughout the day when I am not hunting.
besides when i drink too much water especially when hunting i always gotta per. Lol

To be honest I used to carry water but, since I have started my mental and physical rehab I have reconsidered even needing water when hunting.
i rarely hunt all day and when i hunt it’s usually around 3-4 hour sit. Now this is me and ive learned this in the new things im learning through my therapies.
if i am getting thirsty enough to need a drink in a few hours. I am definitely not drinking enough water throughout the day when I am not hunting.
besides when i drink too much water especially when hunting i always gotta per. Lol
Sorry brother, I usually agree with your advice, but going out in the woods without a water bottle is a bad idea. Even if it's a short hunt, short hunts can turn into long ones and hunting is a physical activity, (yes sometimes more strenuous than others) but better to have water and not need it than need it and not have it in my opinion.

OP, I'd suggest if you really want to be minimalist, make yourself some Paracord backpack straps for your platform, and hang a water bottle carrier of some sort of of that. It'll also solve some of the problems already mentioned with the platform hanging from your saddle idea (have you tested that yet btw? Most people only hang their platform from their saddle during the climb up the tree, not the hike in) But I'm a big fan of using a backpack so would attempt to steer you that way. I also have an eberlestock dagger that I like a lot for early season, has a water bladder, enough room inside for the essentials, and platform/sticks can be hung from it pretty easily. Later season when I'm carrying in more clothes (I sweat too much if I wear them in) I need a bigger backpack.

Sorry brother, I usually agree with your advice, but going out in the woods without a water bottle is a bad idea. Even if it's a short hunt, short hunts can turn into long ones and hunting is a physical activity, (yes sometimes more strenuous than others) but better to have water and not need it than need it and not have it in my opinion.

OP, I'd suggest if you really want to be minimalist, make yourself some Paracord backpack straps for your platform, and hang a water bottle carrier of some sort of of that. It'll also solve some of the problems already mentioned with the platform hanging from your saddle idea (have you tested that yet btw? Most people only hang their platform from their saddle during the climb up the tree, not the hike in) But I'm a big fan of using a backpack so would attempt to steer you that way. I also have an eberlestock dagger that I like a lot for early season, has a water bladder, enough room inside for the essentials, and platform/sticks can be hung from it pretty easily. Later season when I'm carrying in more clothes (I sweat too much if I wear them in) I need a bigger backpack.
No man. I really get what your saying. We all have our own ways that we prepare for and details we feel we need to do. This is my plan for the future.
For years I carried a bottle of water but, for reason I will explain below I just haven't felt the need to.
This also probably really depends on how hot it is too.
See since May first I have been on a gallon a day thing so, my point is Im getting plenty of water I need for a few hours of none.
I have also learned over the years that if im sweating I am going way to fast and i need to slow down.
i think rushing to our spots and rushing up the tree is a big problem that most hunters dont realize they do.
No man I really get that work, life, and etc. give us minimal time to get out and when I know i am going to have a day like that. I will try to hunt a good known closer type area because of that lack of time we all have.
another thing is That I will also point out.
I try to scout until I am positive that I am hunting the right spot and if i don't find that spot with the hot sign saying “hunt here now”. I keep going.
I dont hunt a spot just to hunt a spot.
I hunt a spot when the time is right to hunt that spot.
I go out around noonish ( if I can lol ) I then scout til I find that spot and if i don't i keep moving.
If I don't find that spot worth to me to hunt I scout til around an hour before dark and then I head back to the truck.
this is a reason why when im not hunting or scouting i try to constantly drink water. So whrn I am scouting to hunt I will not get the need to drink more water.
now i will admit this lol. I do carry a small thermos of coffee when its chilly. Especially morning hunts. Lol

Custom Gear Modifications, and probably some others, make suspenders for your saddle to keep it up with the extra weight.

This will also have to do with your body shape. I've got narrow hips/no-ass-at-all and so the saddle slides down anyways for me.

Having sticks in your hand and extra stuff hanging off your saddle is probably less slim of a profile than a small pack that sits flat on your back.

Back