• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

CGM Cobra VS Cruzr XC - Bulky Camo

Corey06

Hey everyone, new to the forum and have been looking into getting into saddle hunting.

I have been debating between the CGM Cobra and the Cruzr XC, both seem to have very good reviews. I live in Canada and hunt some pretty cold weather, I have some Badlands Pyre gear for the cold weather that is a bit bulky, my concern is which saddle is going to work better with the bulky camo? The cobra maybe a little more difficult to get on since you have to step into it but I’m sure very do able.

I am normally a 34” waist so was thinking either the size 1 cobra or the size 2 Cruzr XC. Does anyone have experience with both these saddles and which did you like better. I’m hoping to get a saddle I can use all hunting season and be able to have some long sits in. Any guidance on either of these saddles would be appreciated. I am looking to get a Cobra or Cruzr saddle latitude carbon SS sticks with aider, trophyline EDP platform.
Thanks

I use a cobra. When I have more clothes on, it usually means it snowy, muddy, or both. If I loosen the rope belt up all the way and bridge some I can slide it over my head pretty easily to keep it up.
With the suspenders on it drops right into place.
But if that's the main point your after either one is a good point.

I use a Cobra, no experience with the Cruzr. Just wanted to add that one of the nice things about the Cobra is you can contact Jerry and explain your concerns, and he will work with you and figure out a solution even if he needs to do something custom.

BT

Have been running the cobra all season in central to northern Minnesota and use the Sitka fanatic line when temps dip. I as well have a 34 inch waste and have a size one. I’ve had zero issues with the bulkier clothing

Thanks for the replies, I see the Cruzr XC has a buckle for leg and chest strap. Is it a pain getting the G-hooks strapped up with the bulky clothing? Is it possible to change out the G-hooks later on or is this something that I assume would have to be done when the saddle is fabricated?

rope belts are easier to adjust around bulkier clothes. I kind of regret not having a rope belt. Just go over your head instead of stepping through.

You don’t need to go with a larger size saddle because of layers. I did that with my first saddle which was a cobra and the butt portion was too big for me which made it uncomfortable. You can’t go wrong with either of those choices so just get your proper size.

I have the XC and hunt very cold wearing FL sanctuary 2.0 bibs and jacket. I don't notice a difference from any other clothing I wore.

I switched to the Cobra from the Cruzr XC & I like the Cobra much better. More comfortable, I love the bigger pleat & how it stays together better than the Cruzr since it's made from webbing instead of mesh. The small things are all great on the Cobra.

I would say getting it on with bulky clothes is a non-issue. Going over your head is much easier than stepping into the saddle. Also the rope or amsteel belt is better than a buckle in my opinion.

I'm also a 34" waist & the size 1 Cobra is perfect. I also run 3 latitude sticks with a 2 step amsteel aider on the bottom. I believe the Cobra saddle & these sticks are the perfect saddle setup. Next year I am looking to get into a new platform & get away from the predator. Strongly considering the Arsenal.

I switched to the Cobra from the Cruzr XC & I like the Cobra much better. More comfortable, I love the bigger pleat & how it stays together better than the Cruzr since it's made from webbing instead of mesh. The small things are all great on the Cobra.

I would say getting it on with bulky clothes is a non-issue. Going over your head is much easier than stepping into the saddle. Also the rope or amsteel belt is better than a buckle in my opinion.

I'm also a 34" waist & the size 1 Cobra is perfect. I also run 3 latitude sticks with a 2 step amsteel aider on the bottom. I believe the Cobra saddle & these sticks are the perfect saddle setup. Next year I am looking to get into a new platform & get away from the predator. Strongly considering the Arsenal.
I was the complete opposite For reference on both sides. I had the Cruzr XC size 2 and had no issues but wanted to try something different. Bought the cobra and was not happy with the hip pinch on the lower band. Returned and stuck with the XC…personal preference

Back