• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cheap Archery Target

Dmathews87

Started making cheap targets that work decently well that i thought i would pass along......medium sized box from home depot for 2$ and use about a can and a half of the expanding foam. tape box up with some gorilla tape. total cost is about 10-12$ and lasts a good while even with broadheads. I paint a pie plate sized circle on front...and you can always just buy more foam to fix it up and last even longer

What is your bow setup?

I am really surprised that this will stop a fixed blade head out of a stout bow.

My bow is only medium speed and I shoot a midweight arrow with 60 lbs and a 30 inch draw.....and my fixed blade heads blow right through a homemade stuffed plastic bag target that weighs close to 50 lbs (I put a lot of plastic bags in that thing and it is about 2 foot on each side).

What is your bow setup?

I am really surprised that this will stop a fixed blade head out of a stout bow.

My bow is only medium speed and I shoot a midweight arrow with 60 lbs and a 30 inch draw.....and my fixed blade heads blow right through a homemade stuffed plastic bag target that weighs close to 50 lbs (I put a lot of plastic bags in that thing and it is about 2 foot on each side).

28'' draw and 60lb. stops them surprisingly well...of course after a few broadheads they sink a bit deeper. disclosure, i do also use an old black hole foam target behind it.

What is your bow setup?

to add, i mostly use this to broadhead tune....ill also paint on or just use painters tape my cross for wind and elevation adjustments. old beat up black hole target behind it. that foam when it expands and sets for a day gets really hard and does a good job. I made one last season that still holds up for most part, getting more foam today to touch up which reminded me of it.

Started making cheap targets that work decently well that i thought i would pass along......medium sized box from home depot for 2$ and use about a can and a half of the expanding foam. tape box up with some gorilla tape. total cost is about 10-12$ and lasts a good while even with broadheads. I paint a pie plate sized circle on front...and you can always just buy more foam to fix it up and last even longer

Can you give the dimensions of a good box you've used?

Do you tape it all up first except for one entrance hole in a corner or something and then squirt the foam in and then seal that hole up?

I'm interested in this as a portable field point target.

Thanks - R

Can you give the dimensions of a good box you've used?

Do you tape it all up first except for one entrance hole in a corner or something and then squirt the foam in and then seal that hole up?

I'm interested in this as a portable field point target.

Thanks - R

I use the medium size moving box

I fill it up with the foam and then tape it up. I used 2 cans the first time and it expanded alot more than i anticipated but the tape held well and it worked fine, thats why i think a can and half would do you. Let it sit for a day or 2 before you start shooting it and of course its not very weather resistant so i keep it in my shed.

I use the medium size moving box

I fill it up with the foam and then tape it up. I used 2 cans the first time and it expanded alot more than i anticipated but the tape held well and it worked fine, thats why i think a can and half would do you. Let it sit for a day or 2 before you start shooting it and of course its not very weather resistant so i keep it in my shed.

Thanks.....I bet a box made out of corrugated plastic would work in the rain.

I have shot at styrofoam blocks that Tractor Supply uses when they ship trailers stacked to keep them separated, wrapped in a ratchet strap to keep them tightly compated together... and the styrofoam melts onto the error shaft. You can scrape it off with your thumbnail most of the time. Can usually get those foam blocks for free. Make sure you have a good backdrop, because after a while you will start shooting through it.

So you leave the cardboard on the outside? How do you think it would hold up if you took the box off?

So you leave the cardboard on the outside? How do you think it would hold up if you took the box off?

the foam when you spray it sticks to the box so im not sure i would try it...in theory you probably could cut the box off from it once dry if you wanted to...the box also gives me a nice surface to put my painters tape and see better where im hitting as well...

the foam when you spray it sticks to the box so im not sure i would try it...in theory you probably could cut the box off from it once dry if you wanted to...the box also gives me a nice surface to put my painters tape and see better where im hitting as well...
Wonder what would happen if you greased or lined the inside of the box somehow before spraying in the foam. Methinks concreters do something like that with their 2x molds so they can be removed after the wet mix sets up.

Right on. Next time slather the inside of that thing with Crisco.

What is your bow setup?

I was think the same thing. I’m shooting 80lb@29” 455 grain setup going 312fps (yes measured) I doubt the would stop my arrow when a legit 3D target I push half the arrow through at 40 yards lol

Back