• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cheap / Effective Mod to Carry Rappel Rope

goody94

SH Member
Just passing this 10 cent mod along to anyone interested. Perhaps it’s been done before but I haven’t seen it. Simple, effective, lightweight, cheap, and dual purpose - what’s not to love!

What you need: two washers, a bit of paracord, a bit of shock cord, stealth strip (optional)

I girth hitched a few washers (covered in stealth strip) to my molle to carry my sticks up the tree a few months ago. This works great. Then this past week I got to thinking and by just adding a bit of shock cord above the washers I have a simple way to hold my rappel rope once at height or even walking in as well. Typically I carry my rappel rope in my pack while walking in, but this gives me the option to carry in or to attach it to my saddle once at hunting height. It works very well. This is with 9mm canyon maxim rope, so it’d pack even nicer with 8mm oplux.

I know there are number of options out there but just figured I’d share this one.

Best of luck and happy hunting!

e9ad292da2d54f508282d8960d25005b.jpg

9909b26d9f118c5b22f22bbbe382b366.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to figure out if you are trying to cut cost, weight, or noise reduction :) I am guessing noise reduction.

That said, I think I’d be concerned about the knot in the paracord pulling through the bottle cap. I like using a washer because it’s not going to do that. However, it would work (just not sure when it would fail, could work for a long time!). It would just come down to how hard the plastic is...a small heavier duty plastic would easy get the job done, just not sure about a milk jug cap.

Just when I thought this mod couldn’t get any cheaper!

I do something similar, but with a lashing strap and plastic buckle:

It works really well for me. When I'm ready to come down, I just click the buckle open and the rope falls untangled because of the figure 8 coil.

I like the idea, I am just a little weary of having rope loose while I'm walking in or knowing me, accidentally clip onto a loose loop thinking its my linemen's loop. I prefer enclosed pouch style for my ropes. But I can see how this would be good for others.

I like the idea, I am just a little weary of having rope loose while I'm walking in or knowing me, accidentally clip onto a loose loop thinking its my linemen's loop. I prefer enclosed pouch style for my ropes. But I can see how this would be good for others.

I hear ya on that. Those roll pouches look pretty slick. I actually don’t like stuff on my saddle so I’m putting everything in my pack this year. I’ll just attach it this way once at hunting height.

You can 'watch' this thread.

“Watch threads” are still hard to find because every thread you comment on automatically goes to watched threads. If you want to save and be able to easily access a post, book mark it. It’s the second option from the top right, one left of the post number that looks like a banner. You can then add a title which will help you quickly reference it in the future.

I also leave a note so I know what the thread is about. The bookmarks have been extremely helpful for me making stuff from the DIY section since it allows me to quickly access them again. Hope that helps!CE177404-3396-4D72-B880-891237FA8C8E.png

Back