• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing spurs..

DePalma

Anybody have any experience with these?.i think they would be perfect for hunting from a saddle and never to worry about climbing sticks or steps again.few issues though,will they be noisy and inter fear with the platform around the tree? Your thoughts?

I have a set and they are good for climbing but to take them off and on up in the tree is hard to do when hanging in the saddle. I have a bad time on time when I put them back on in the dark, I thought I have the strap tight and is was not and it made a Harry club down and said never again. But that's me

Yeah I would be kinda iffy about that too..sounds like a good idea to use them but your input changed my mind lol..

Had a pair of Klein professional climbing spikes (strap on well above the calf) and just as saddle assassin stated, they worked well for climbing but had to remove them while hunting and it was a pain. Also illegal on public land because they severely scar the tree. They are also dangerous when climbing very rough barked trees like cottonwoods, hickory, and large white oaks because they don't penetrate into the meat of the tree and it's possible for the thick bark to pop off once you put your weight on that leg.

Also had a pair of Sport Climbers and they sucked. Absolutely no ankle support and never ended up using them for hunting.

Reading all that turns me off of them..I rather be safe then sorry,thank you for all the input

Back