• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing stick idea

Pats1512

So with ameristep popularity I keep having this crazy idea in my head as to why you can't make polymer climbing sticks. The new polymer materials they have that have a high glass content are super strong and they hold up well in cold. Obviously the biggest holdup is what a mold would cost (unless they were printed) but I think you would end up with a $7 or $8 part and a few bucks a step. I just see it as being far cheaper, lighter and quieter. Maybe I'm crazy but I keep wanting to use my rapid prototype vendor at work to make me a few. I just see so much stuff going to high strength polymer because of its advantages and wonder why not sticks if we trust in steps?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

you can I believe Odin make some If I remember correctly. I'm not sure about weight/strength/cost ratio would make sense?

you can I believe Odin make some If I remember correctly. I'm not sure about weight/strength/cost ratio would make sense?
So those were aluminum risers I believe. I'm talking steps and risers with metal attachments. Essentially a lone wolf out of polymer, the steps would have to be redesigned some but that would be the idea. I'm guessing maybe Odin got killed by mold costs, it would be easy to make a set but to sell them you would really want molds to produce quickly. I think if you printed just a few it would be more expensive but it would be interesting to try.

The Dense poly that I have worked with is heavy. Of course this was poly for the industrial world. Not sure if the strength to weight ratio would work for an advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure this applies to the thread but it got me thinking...
I've heard that pretty much anything can be copied or made with a 3D printer. How much use for our challenges would a 3D printer be? I have no experience with the strength of 3D produced materials, I'm just thinking outside the box. Seems like an Ameristep type product could be reproduced.

So curiosity got the best of me so I tried using a composite post and just copied a lone wolf stick to see if the riser would be strong enough. It does flex in the middle which a spacer to the tree would stop but it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be and certainly not enough to break. I think as a mini stick it would work perfect. They are a little lighter but are definitely quieter and without knowing what a lone wolf extrusion costs maybe a little bit cheaper. I was more curious for noise and maybe weight overall. It does seem as quiet as my stealth strips with nothing on it. More to come, I may try a few other things to see how it works.
fe5aeb4523cb2e4c6a15cac9aab2bab7.jpg
66ec46fcbba69f7eb2c7a5e72be23d75.jpg

Do you think the holes for the bolts will stand up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That was my biggest concern. I've jumped on the pegs a bunch and beat on them and took the bolts out and it isn't ovaled or worn at all.

I have to get it on a scale, I'm guessing it's not much lighter cause the plastic is solid. The cost and the noise would be the biggest benefits I see at this point. Plus it will also not get as cold to the touch.

I have to get it on a scale, I'm guessing it's not much lighter cause the plastic is solid. The cost and the noise would be the biggest benefits I see at this point. Plus it will also not get as cold to the touch.

how thick is the post

Ever get a weight on these posts? I wouldn't mind buying 4 of these poly posts if you were to get bored and wanna make a few more :)

Back