• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing Sticks vs One Sticking - Help Me Choose

yoda4x4

May 19, 2021
I've recently purchased the Beast Gear stand and am looking at replacing my extremely heavy XOP sticks with a lightweight option. At the present, I'm considering going with one of the following options:

1) 4 - 20" Beast Gear Sticks with holes and 2 step aiders. This would weigh approximately 7 lbs.

2) Go with a one stick setup where the top step would just be a regular double step. I know this would weigh considerably less but this doesn't account for the extra weight when you add in the ropes and needed accessories. What would the total weight be for this?

And the biggest question, what is the better choice?

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Reactions: bfriendly

PEEJAY

SH Member
Nov 24, 2019
MD
just do the one stick. ive tried both. its way lighter. maybe 4 lbs total. Probably less depending on your rope. All you need is 35-40ft of 8-9mm and an ATS (my fav) or ATC and a biner.

Reactions: bfriendly

onestringer

SH Member
Aug 28, 2018
Question for you. Have you climbed down a tree using a 2 step aider? I tried it once, never again. When using multiple sticks I used a CAYG aider attached to my foot. I have been onesticking the last 3 years. I won't ever go back to multiple sticks. If you do go the 2 step aider route consider rappelling down.

PEEJAY

SH Member
Nov 24, 2019
MD
i just do it because of the bulk, not so much the weight. 4 beast sticks are annoying. I used drilled out API's so basically the same thing. Im sure ill get some flack for comparing the two but its just a stick. not paying that much to get up a tree

Reactions: phatkaw

THill202

Dec 12, 2021
The best choice is to have options! Get the 4 sticks and you can always use one to one stick if you want to. Instead of (4) 2 step aiders maybe consider one moveable aider. I dove in with a one stick setup and while it is nice I feel like it still somehwat limits my tree selection.

yoda4x4

May 19, 2021
just do the one stick. ive tried both. its way lighter. maybe 4 lbs total. Probably less depending on your rope. All you need is 35-40ft of 8-9mm and an ATS (my fav) or ATC and a biner.

What's an ATS or ATC?

Question for you. Have you climbed down a tree using a 2 step aider? I tried it once, never again. When using multiple sticks I used a CAYG aider attached to my foot. I have been onesticking the last 3 years. I won't ever go back to multiple sticks. If you do go the 2 step aider route consider rappelling down.

The 2 step aider would be for going up to reduce the amount of times I'd have to reset the stick; I'll repel down.

i just do it because of the bulk, not so much the weight. 4 beast sticks are annoying. I used drilled out API's so basically the same thing. Im sure ill get some flack for comparing the two but its just a stick. not paying that much to get up a tree

Not for nothing but one sticking isn't all that cheap. I'd be looking at ~ $300 for a one stick and repelling gear.

The best choice is to have options! Get the 4 sticks and you can always use one to one stick if you want to. Instead of (4) 2 step aiders maybe consider one moveable aider. I dove in with a one stick setup and while it is nice I feel like it still somehwat limits my tree selection.

I won't be doing both... Just too expensive.

If you’re going to be hunting off a beast stand I don’t see how one sticking is a viable option for you. You’re either going to need a saddle or RCH to one stick and at that point if a stand was my goal I would just use a set of sticks.

I'd go with a RCH if I go the one sticking method. And as much as saddle hunting looks great, I honestly hate hunting when I'm facing the tree. I just always feel like the tree is in my way; especially when I'm xbow hunting.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

enkriss

SH Member
Sep 13, 2018
I one stick when using a stand. Easy peasy….

Once you get good and efficient at one sticking. You wont want to go back to multiple sticks. Juggling multiple sticks absolutely sucks and is noisy.

With that said. I still use multiple sticks when it’s cold out. Climbing an inline aider bundled up also sucks.

PEEJAY

SH Member
Nov 24, 2019
MD
What's an ATS or ATC?

Not for nothing but one sticking isn't all that cheap. I'd be looking at ~ $300 for a one stick and repelling gear.

Sterling ATS is the rappel device i use. I love it. You can lock the rope and be hands free to remove other gear from the tree . ATC is another common one people on here seem to like.

I dont know what kinda gear you're about to buy but you can get set up for less than half of that. My stick cost 30 bucks used. ATS was 35. Biner was 15. 35 ft of rope was 30 ($70 for 100ft of 8.5mm sterling canyonprime, sold the rest). 1" webbing for your aider is like .50 a ft or something or just buy 50ft of some dyneema winch line off amazon. pull down rope is the same as my pull up rope Just buy stuff used when you can or on sale from climbing/camping websites like campsaver.com. Take your time getting parts together you got plenty of time

PEEJAY

SH Member
Nov 24, 2019
MD
You can get by just fine with a figure 8 for your rappel device too. They are probably the most affordable option. You definitely dont need that madrock safeguard or anything complicated. Check out the ATS though, its my favorite tool in the bag. Works perfect for our scenario.

THis is probably an antiquated option now but if you can find an old API stick you can turn it into a pretty badass one stick. ill post a pic of mine when i get home. Its light and easy to ascend with the boat cleat mod.

MattMan81

SH Member
Jan 13, 2020
The Mitten

Buy his sticks.. convert the one for the one stick option..you have both worlds available to you.

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Aug 21, 2020
Westminster Maryland
Ropes not that expensive. Canyon IV 9mm is $1 per foot. You can rappel down with a ATC or even a carabiner. You can also get a Shikar mini stick if you want to go middle ground price wise. $150 max for a middle ground setup and weight about.....2 lbs?

Reactions: Hall17 and PEEJAY

NimbleTimbo

SH Member
Dec 10, 2021
Manheim, PA
I prefer one-sticking above all other methods for the majority of the season. Nothing like walking in and with 5-10lbs worth of gear. But you are kind of negating it's lightweight and low bulk benefits by rucking in a stand. That said, if you are rucking a stand in anyway, it's easy to attach sticks to a stand and not much added bulk. If you are new to the saddle game, stick with the sticks and what you know. One-sticking is a learning curve (along with rappelling and all the gear) and you can get into that over time later. I do prefer sticks in the late season, with a knaider/swaider over aiders--attached to you and your foot the whole time, less fuss IMO.

Reactions: PEEJAY

Redoak47*

Sep 21, 2018
I use a Shikar mini stick with a flat scout and a backwoods aider to one-stick, and the LWCG.5 with a saddle works great. I go from sitting in the saddle to sitting on the stand.

TooheyBirdie

May 22, 2020
Southern MN
... this is the way to go.. OR set up one stick with a 2 step aider ... you can go 4 sticks with an aider on the bottom stick or just take that one stick and one stick... i just got a beast mini and made a 2 step aider.... i plan on buying 2 more beast sticks and making a 1 step aider for both of those which would put me at about 14 feet or just taking the one stick..

Reactions: THill202

goody94

SH Member
Apr 22, 2020
Lancaster, PA
I one sticked the first half the season this year. I'm 'sticking' with sticks. But, I will continue to use a stick top platform that I could one stick with if I wanted to (which I will occassionally..).

The primary reason I am going back is three-fold:
1. I like to have the option to climb down and come back up quickly if I need to (i.e. #1/#2 , check an arrow for blood, come back for an evening sit, and the biggest one is if I drop something I can retrieve it quickly, etc.)

2. The weight difference is more nominal than you think when you add it up. I use three sticks with 2-step aiders and I am at 18-20'. The weight of those sticks for me is around 9 pounds because I have cheap sticks and a wingman. But if you use the ONE sticks or timber ninja's your looking at around the same weight as one sticking. If you buy high end sticks, I'd venture to guess you will ultimately save 1-3 pounds by one sticking.

3. I personally feel more comfortable climbing with three sticks and 2-step aiders than one sticking. It all opinion based, but that's just how I feel. Disclaimer: When I one-stick I don't use a linemans belt, which is probably why I feel that way (I could but its one more rope to deal with..)

All that to say, one sticking is cool to learn and I'd recommend learning it and exploring it. I still plan to use it, especially during rifle when I walk most of the time, but I can carry my one stick and put it up in a tree quickly to hunt from an elevated position. Other than that, I'll likely be rolling with three sticks.

deleted_user04

Nov 26, 2021
Try one sticking when it warms up above 75 degrees. Like most states when season opens. On the next super cold day this winter, put on your no joke cold weather gear and try one sticking; including your gear and bow. You are gonna sweat more and make more movement and noisy.

Reactions: MattMan81

Loopwing

SH Member
Mar 10, 2020
Virginia
If you are set up to one stick, you can climb as low or as high as you want. If you have 4 sticks, that limits your climbing height.
Learn how to rappel and never climb down again. I hunted a few of my buddies preset stands this past season. That have 5 and 6 stick set ups. I rappelled down every time.

Redoak47*

Sep 21, 2018
Try one sticking when it warms up above 75 degrees. Like most states when season opens. On the next super cold day this winter, put on your no joke cold weather gear and try one sticking; including your gear and bow. You are gonna sweat more and make more movement and noisy.
Not if you leave bow, backpack and stand on ground. Tie backpack to end of rappel rope climb to however high you need then i use this treble hook thing to grab stand set it, climb into it then pull up backpack and bow.

Reactions: Loopwing