• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing with spurs/gaffs

Flyerzfan10

Aug 31, 2018
Wapwallopen, PA
Do you use your linemans belt when climbing or do you use a different type of rope? My samson predator rope is pretty soft and doubt it will be good to use as a flip line. Thanks

Cbinderjr

Sep 14, 2018
Harford county MD
I usually advance my linesman rope up the tree by hand I don't do the "flipping" motion as you would commonly see in the arborist industry. Slow deliberate and quiet is my goal.

Samson predator works great using it in this fashion, if you prefer the action of unweighting by leaning forward and "flipping" the rope up the tree a stiff rope like sterling HTP would be good or possibly getting a tree squeeze which believe is steel core and you just run your standard rope through the rings.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Pilk64

Dec 26, 2019
Do you use your linemans belt when climbing or do you use a different type of rope? My samson predator rope is pretty soft and doubt it will be good to use as a flip line. Thanks
you dont really flip the line...arborists do it because their line is much thicker and stiffer...you have to kepp your lineman belt coming up the tree with you as you climb...usually a left step a right step and push the line...a left step a right step abd push the line...rinse and repeat to suitable height

Reactions: Flyerzfan10

Flyerzfan10

Aug 31, 2018
Wapwallopen, PA
you dont really flip the line...arborists do it because their line is much thicker and stiffer...you have to kepp your lineman belt coming up the tree with you as you climb...usually a left step a right step and push the line...a left step a right step abd push the line...rinse and repeat to suitable height
Gotcha.. practice... practice... practice.

Reactions: Pilk64

Pilk64

Dec 26, 2019
Gotcha.. practice... practice... practice.
yepper...the trick is to jeep the lineman belt high after every 2 steps...keep your spurs close together...they dont go on the sides of the tree...its more like you pount the arches of your feet into the tree almost directly in front of you...and dont kick them into the tree...just step on them and the weight of you will sink them in and you will still be able to pull them out...and dont keep too much slack in your lineman belt...keep your back upright and rigid...you are almost standing straight up...the tree will get smaller as you go up so keep adjusting the lineman belt...when you step up the belt might be just above level...just keep enough slack so you can move the belt up easy...little steps help a lot when fiirst learning also 6"-10" steps are suffucient...you will be surprised how quick you get up high...slow and steady wins the race

Pilk64

Dec 26, 2019
flinginairos has an awesome vid on youtube...he climbs back down...I rappel down because im older shorter and a bit more portly than young Jared is...lol...I have climbed back down but not easy for me to put the spikes back on up in the tree...and rappeling is badass!

Reactions: Flyerzfan10

Flyerzfan10

Aug 31, 2018
Wapwallopen, PA
flinginairos has an awesome vid on youtube...he climbs back down...I rappel down because im older shorter and a bit more portly than young Jared is...lol...I have climbed back down but not easy for me to put the spikes back on up in the tree...and rappeling is badass!
[/QUO
I've seen his video and he makes it look easy. I'm sure i'll get the hang of it. Rappelling is my plan for next year also, I have everything but a safeguard. I hunted this whole year off of bolts. I really like them for pre sets but if I want to move to a new spot quickly .. spurs will be the ticket. Thanks for your help.