• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing with spurs

20ftup

Last year the unthinkable happened too me 25 ft up in a red oak. I was packing up to climb down to help my dad trail a buck he had just shot. Before I knew what happened I slipped on the tree while trying to put on my spurs and boom it fell to the forest floor. I tried using one spur and my tether as an aider to no avail. Lucky I had a large hawk bow holder and I rigged up a sort of grapple and was able to hook the bottom webbing strap which was connected. I completely got away from spurs after than and went with stick. The down side is spurs are nice in some of the areas I hunt and super convenient. So this year I’m goin to carry a magnet with me should solve the problem of dropping them and not being able to grapple back up. Just an idea for all the old school steel spur guys out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year the unthinkable happened too me 25 ft up in a red oak. I was packing up to climb down to help my dad trail a buck he had just shot. Before I knew what happened I slipped on the tree while trying to put on my spurs and boom it fell to the forest floor. I tried using one spur and my tether as an aider to no avail. Lucky I had a large hawk bow holder and I rigged up a sort of grapple and was able to hook the bottom webbing strap which was connected. I completely got away from spurs after than and went with stick. The down side is spurs are nice in some of the areas I hunt and super convenient. So this year I’m goin to carry a magnet with me should solve the problem of dropping them and not being able to grapple back up. Just an idea for all the old school steel spur guys out there

I carry a grapple grabber for that very reason. I have dropped too many gloves, hats, releases etc.

HAHA This is why I don’t hunt with my hooks all the time any more.As a longtime free climbing lineman I can hit 25ft on a tree before you can say don’t.But it is tough getting down with one good foot.LMAO Needed that this morning.

Is it a must to take the spurs off while hunting? Do they clank on the platform? For worries of spiking your self, could you not just make an instamorph cover like G2 does in the link below, but modify his style by making a big flat square on the end to eliminate a “pointy” spur? I am interested in spurs and have seen a lot come up in the classifieds but I dont like the idea of taking them off.

I acquired a new pair of spurs this spring. Due to lack of trees in my yard a offshore fishing addiction I have not spent any time practicing with them. I do plan to climb trees in the yard at the camp to get comfortable before using them to hunt. Taking them off and putting them on at hunting elevation does worry me more than the climb.

A decade or so ago, the string that was supporting my spurs, video camera and pack broke while I was up some 20' in a lock-on stand. My solution was to remove my full body harness and drop it to the ground too. I didn't want to take a chance that the harness would hang up while I bear hugged the tree coming down. Once I safely made it to the ground I used my spurs to climb back up and retrieve my stand. I considered it another hard lesson learned.

This will be my first year hunting with spurs. I was thinking of making some type of paracord tether, so they're always attached to me or my platform. Any other ideas?

Is it a must to take the spurs off while hunting? Do they clank on the platform? For worries of spiking your self, could you not just make an instamorph cover like G2 does in the link below, but modify his style by making a big flat square on the end to eliminate a “pointy” spur? I am interested in spurs and have seen a lot come up in the classifieds but I dont like the idea of taking them off.

You'll definitely want to take them off once you're in the tree. Modding them with quick connect buckles and webbing make taking them off and putting them back on a breeze though. Just take your time, make deliberate moves, and have a way to strap them to your pack/gear hanger.

I would wrap the bottoms so they wont make noise when they contact the platform while maneuvering for a shot.

Back