• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold toes

tider

What’s the absolute best way to keep your toes warm ?

It’s the only thing on me that gets cold, feel like they’re gonna fall off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not in the north so take it’s for what it’s worth. I wear 600 gram insulated rubber boots sized up for an air gap. And wear one pair of alpaca socks. I wear this set up from early season in the 80s through late season in the teens and haven’t got cold feet yet. I use to get cold feet all the time. The killer on feet is sweat. Having boots a size up allows an air gap to let air circulate around your feet to help dry them. Alpaca also stores air gaps if you don’t compress them and aid in drying your feet. Breathability is key. Multiple layers of socks won’t let them breath and also compresses the fibers, not allowing them to work as intended.

I tried a few brands of alpaca socks and these are my favorite so far.

https://www.amazon.com/DARN-WARM-OUTDOOR-Alpaca-Socks/dp/B01CK1X2MO

Last edited:
Do you walk out in the oversized boots or do you swap them out once on location?

I’m not in the north I take it’s for why it’s worth. I wear 600 gram insulated rubber boots sized up for an air gap. And wear one pair of alpaca socks. I wear this set up from early season in the 80s through late season in the teens and haven’t got cold feet yet. I use to get cold feet all the time. The killer on feet is sweat. Having boots a size up allows an air gap to let air circulate around your feet to help dry them. Alpaca also stores air gaps if you don’t compress them and aid in drying your feet. Breathability is key. Multiple layers of socks won’t let them breath and also compresses the fibers, no allowing them to work as intended.

X2

I think most guys go way to heavy on the insulation. I wear about the same setup as swamosnyper. Uninsulated Muck Boots and either Nike drifits or I'll-pack-a wool pair in the cold. ;)

If it's really cold, I'll put on a fresh pair of socks at the base of the tree, and I'll slip a toe warmer in there sometimes. But I've found that hands down the biggest thing is to keep the rest of you warm, and don't over-insulate your feet. If you start to get chilly, your body figures you can lose a toe or two and still be ok. Tecnically, it's correct, but...

Also, just accept that your feet will most likely be cold. If ya don't mind, it don't matter!

I’m not in the north so take it’s for what it’s worth. I wear 600 gram insulated rubber boots sized up for an air gap. And wear one pair of alpaca socks. I wear this set up from early season in the 80s through late season in the teens and haven’t got cold feet yet. I use to get cold feet all the time. The killer on feet is sweat. Having boots a size up allows an air gap to let air circulate around your feet to help dry them. Alpaca also stores air gaps if you don’t compress them and aid in drying your feet. Breathability is key. Multiple layers of socks won’t let them breath and also compresses the fibers, not allowing them to work as intended.

I do the same thing but I also use a boot drier after each hunt... warm feet. I have put chemical heaters in the boot when it is really cold...
I normally wear size 10 boots early season and size 11 boots late season... no problem walking in them. Late season my boots are rated at -60... arctic mucks.

Last edited:
I do the same thing but I also use a boot drier after each hunt... warm feet. I have put chemical heaters in the boot when it is really cold...
I normally wear size 10 boots early season and size 11 boots late season... no problem walking in them.
I just got a boot dryer last season. I don't know how in heck I lived without one.

My boot dryer stays plugged in year around and I put whatever shoes I wore that day on the boot dryer...every day. Your footwear will never stink and it’s imperative for hunting boots when hunting the next day. If you don’t have a boot dryer you don’t realize how wet your boots are the next morning.

Arctic shield boot blankets. As mentioned, sweat is the enemy. I wear 200 gram insulated boots all season and I'm not in the south. If it gets really brutal, sometimes I'll throw a chemical handwarmer in the boot blankets.

As suggested, wear oversize boots and wool socks. Make sure the boots are large enough to allow foot movement inside. When your feet get cold, do as my Dad always told me, "wiggle your toes".

My boot dryer stays plugged in year around and I put whatever shoes I wore that day on the boot dryer...every day. Your footwear will never stink and it’s imperative for hunting boots when hunting the next day. If you don’t have a boot dryer you don’t realize how wet your boots are the next morning.

I have a boot drier also. I use it when I go on trips. At my camp, I have a homemade potbelly stove under my carport with boot hangers above it. Hang my bAckpack, hats, gloves, jackets, orange vest and stuff above it. Dries everything out and refreshes the smoke cover scent.

swampsnyper said:

I normally wear size 10 boots early season and size 11 boots late season... no problem walking in them. Late season my boots are rated at -60... arctic mucks

What they said!!

I avoid rubber boots since they trap perspiration. Damp feet tend to be cold feet. Using a boot dryer helps get moisture out of the entire boot right down to the toe box so you get a good start to the day. Late season boots need to be sized for heavier socks while allowing some "wiggle room" for the toes. For super cold conditions, Arctic Shield boot blankets help but are clumsy in the stand or in the saddle. My buddy swears by the electric heated insoles but I haven't had to go there yet so maybe others can comment?

Don't sweat, size for wiggle room, chemical heaters or heated insoles...also depends on your route in. You need to handle a 1-2 mile hike in differently than an easily accessed location (or put another way, it's a lot easier to not sweat in your boots on a 5 minute walk).

I've had cold feet at 40 degrees, and warm feet at 10 below and colder. You need to plan an insulating strategy that survives your hike in without leaving dampness, and keeps you warm enough for the duration.

What's cold for you? A brutal day down south can be unseasonably warm up north - and cold toes can happen at most any temp.

Don't sweat, size for wiggle room, chemical heaters or heated insoles...also depends on your route in. You need to handle a 1-2 mile hike in differently than an easily accessed location (or put another way, it's a lot easier to not sweat in your boots on a 5 minute walk).

I've had cold feet at 40 degrees, and warm feet at 10 below and colder. You need to plan an insulating strategy that survives your hike in without leaving dampness, and keeps you warm enough for the duration.

What's cold for you? A brutal day down south can be unseasonably warm up north - and cold toes can happen at most any temp.

I always wear a 1/2 size to 1 size larger boot to allow for the air insulation layer.

I wear a thick wool or Merino wool sock.

Boots are Lacrosse 1600 gram alpha burly pro.

I had never thought about the boot dryer. Good idea. I will be doing that.

Have to disagree about the south not as cold thing. I live in south Alabama. I hunt in Ks every year during the rut. Out here right now....
I’ve been as cold or colder in Alabama than I have been here in Ks.

Just not as many days of it

I always wear a 1/2 size to 1 size larger boot to allow for the air insulation layer.

I wear a thick wool or Merino wool sock.

Boots are Lacrosse 1600 gram alpha burly pro.

I had never thought about the boot dryer. Good idea. I will be doing that.

Have to disagree about the south not as cold thing. I live in south Alabama. I hunt in Ks every year during the rut. Out here right now....
I’ve been as cold or colder in Alabama than I have been here in Ks.

Just not as many days of it

KS is still pretty far south. Picking a random city, Wichita’s low temp yesterday was almost 35 below local average, but still about 15 degrees warmer than here, and last year I hunted several days another 15 degrees colder. 65-70 degrees colder than an average mid November is a big difference. I hunted for a week straight of temperatures colder than the all time record low in e.g Huntsville.

There's a difference between north cold and south cold. And cold in Alabama certainly feels colder in the upper body, where humidity makes a big impact In my experience, but that doesn't really apply to feet.

What works at 40, 20, 0, -20 varies a lot!

Ha Ha.

I heard that.
We hunt in North Ks near Nebraska

Thanks for all the information. Nothing worse than cold feet.

I wear the same pair of boots from the first day of season to the last.
I have some moisture wicking socks. I think there Nike.
I wear Irish setter RPM rubber boots
When it gets in the 30’s I add hot hands insoles on the bottom of my feet. And a toe warmer on top.
When it gets colder I put on a set of boot warmers and throw a hot hand in side it.
My feet never get cold. Today I think it was 25 and I was fine.

Back