• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Comfortable saddle recommendations

Bluerand

First post—I’m new to saddle hunting. my wife got me a UIIHunt gen 3 saddle and I like it but I don’t think it fits my butt well. I am 6’1 210lbs. I’m thinking I will pass this saddle on to my 14 year old. I am looking for recommendations on a budget comfortable saddle. Thanks, Matt

Just looking at it, I'm not a fan of how the bridge is attached. It needs to be adjustable, but held in place too, for comfort.

I'm also new (first year in a saddle) and went with a TX-5 Rayder (Large 35-41). I'm 6' and 206# for comparison, and it's pretty comfortable, but not like my API climber.
My biggest issue was getting used to hanging from a 1/4 +/- rope (mind game)

CGM-Cobra is the one I settled on. However I tried several others before I decided on it. The saddle game is not a one size fits all approach and each one is designed to fit a certain need.

Overwatch Transformer, there’s more than meets the eye.
Maybe check the map and see who is close and try a few different one out.

I had a H2 saddle and it was high quality, but I just could not get comfortable in it....so, I sold it. :(

I purchased a Cruzr XC (the #2 size - Medium) and have been extremely happy with it. :) Cruzr offers 3 different sizes and the saddle seat is pleated, to offer more comfort. I just finished up my third year of saddle hunting and absolutely love it.

Buy a quality saddle, from a reputable company, but all the accessories can be purchased for a lot less, off of R.E.I. and Amazon. :cool: You'll have to shop around to find some of the items for less money and quite often they can be purchased off of other tree saddle company's website. Don't think you have to buy all Tetherd or Cruzr accessories, just because that's the brand of saddle that you purchased. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the recommendations! I am still looking and at this point really focusing on a good setup for next year. Still interested in other thoughts. BTW—I am leaning towards 2TC and replying down. I tried a friends sticks, but not thrilled about not having a safety connection as i go up.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I am still looking and at this point really focusing on a good setup for next year. Still interested in other thoughts. BTW—I am leaning towards 2TC and replying down. I tried a friends sticks, but not thrilled about not having a safety connection as i go up.
Your safety line would be your Linesman rope.

NEVER climb without being tied on.

I climb on sticks. I use my linesman and tether going up and comming down.

First post—I’m new to saddle hunting. my wife got me a UIIHunt gen 3 saddle and I like it but I don’t think it fits my butt well. I am 6’1 210lbs. I’m thinking I will pass this saddle on to my 14 year old. I am looking for recommendations on a budget comfortable saddle. Thanks, Matt
Welcome! Aside from body shape and size, the biggest factor I see as a determinant of comfort is determining if you are primarily a sitter or a leaner. You may not know this yet and if so, there will likely be a learning curve. Generally speaking, the Cruzr XC gets a lot of good press on here and I did own one so I can speak to it being comfortable for me. I believe they come in three sizes so there is that too.

You mentioned 2TC as your potential climbing method. I have a fair amount of experience doing this method for the last two seasons. I'm guessing 70 plus hunts so far and many more practice climbs. As far as saddles go, I now prefer a 2 panel saddle. I have two currently. One is a Treehopper Recon ($180 new and I believe a couple of like new for sale here in the classifieds.) My second one I made myself off design ideas over in the Wraptor thread. The Treehopper Recon fits the affordable part. I find the two panel sling style saddle to be very comfortable and have done quite a few all day sits. I do think the 2 panel works best for people who primarily sit.

I 2TC up and down. I use a ring of steps exclusively along with one of the two panel sling saddles. Everything I need to climb and hunt all day minus my bow will fit inside a medium backpack with room to spare and weights about 10 pounds total. Any heavy late season clothes would get strapped to the pack.

Attachments

• 2TC hunt kit.jpg
    2TC hunt kit.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 16
I had a H2 saddle and it was high quality, but I just could not get comfortable in it....so, I sold it. :(

I purchased a Cruzr XC (the #2 size - Medium) and have been extremely happy with it. :) Cruzr offers 3 different sizes and the saddle seat is pleated, to offer more comfort. I just finished up my third year of saddle hunting and absolutely love it.

Buy a quality saddle, from a reputable company, but all the accessories can be purchased for a lot less, off of R.E.I. and Amazon. :cool: You'll have to shop around to find some of the items for less money and quite often they can be purchased off of other tree saddle company's website. Don't think you have to buy all Tetherd or Cruzr accessories, just because that's the brand of saddle that you purchased. :rolleyes:
IMG_6142.jpegYou DON’T have to buy every accessory and silly thing one company puts out?! News to me but big if true.

Back