• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Consolidated rope help

c h r i s

I need new ropes:

-Ropes for my 4 climbing sticks
-rope to replace my Stock TL tether (yeah, still using that heavy sucker) and possibly
-ropes for 2 Jim stepps (platform, each with its own rope)
-a new bridge (I'm using 2" webbing fixed length with frost knots to my sitdrag).

I'm not an ounce counter but I do want to save some weight. Primary goal is to cut the bulk of my tether and while I'm at it it sounds like I could replace my crappy 8mm rei rope on my climbing sticks.

I'm really not that lazy. I've lurked and I've searched, but there's been so much changing over the course of 12 months (set ups, preferred brands, vendors changing ownership). What should I get and where from? I'd be content to get 100' of the same size rope for everything but I'd still need to know what to downsize to for my Prusik on the tether (I'm not interested in the ropeman).

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For sticks i am currently using superstatic line which i bought at Eastern mountain sports. Thats 9mm diameter its tough and have shown no signs of wear on the various trees and over 40 sits to date. If you really want to save some cost and not looking to go crazy at least with your saddle I would just grab some yale bandit its durable and cost effective. I had no complaints and has always been looked at here with good reviews. The new rage is the ultratech line but its sold out and should be in stock soon. I am waiting on my order to put my new saddle together setup together. Some are using this also with sticks or plan on it. As far as prussik diameter it is recommended to be two diameters less then you main line for example 11mm main line 9mm for prussik. Those are the basic numbers.

Just experiment I guess but be safe about it. Most of us have a tinkering disease or illness which prevents is from sticking with one thing lol. This is why we saddle hunt!!!

I picked up some of the 10 mm snake bite from Sherrill and like it. Lighter than the Yale bandit and stronger. Think I paid about a buck a foot so it's slightly more expensive than the bandit. Using it for linesman, bridge and tether. Just got it this year so not sure how it'll hold up but it seems pretty tough.

I picked up some of the 10 mm snake bite from Sherrill and like it. Lighter than the Yale bandit and stronger. Think I paid about a buck a foot so it's slightly more expensive than the bandit. Using it for linesman, bridge and tether. Just got it this year so not sure how it'll hold up but it seems pretty tough.

An Arborist probably puts as much wear and tear on a rope in a busy day as most hunters put on in a season. It'll hold up well :)

After you've used it a bit post up your experience, I'd be interested to hear it. My background is climbing on 1/2" lines and often used a 3/4" flipline so 10mm is a nice comfortable size for me even though it's a little bigger than others are using.

Last edited:
Back