• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Converting Lifeline to tree tether & muddy rope style lineman belt.

Flick

Hello everyone,

I searched for a while on here but couldn't quite find the answers I was looking for. Newb from South West, PA.

I'm about to buy a saddle set up (tethered phantom saddle, predator platform). I was wondering if it was possible to convert the 30ft safety line I used with my lock on stand to a tree tether for saddle hunting (have found a few people saying this is ok) but my real question is will I be able to use a ropeman on it? I also have a muddy rope style lineman belt, would this be adequate or can I convert the excess safety line to a lineman belt?

I plan on getting the tethered linesman rope and tether eventually but am trying to lessen the initial hit on my wallet so I can get the saddle and start practicing shooting from it.

I am also planning on using the muddy pro sticks to get up the tree.

Thanks in advance for any advice y'all can give me

I cut down a muddy safety line for my tether and linemans without a problem. I cut a 12' section for the tether and a 10' section for the linemans. Using figure-eight knots to make a 6" loop and a stopper knot you end up with a 10' tether and 8' linemans. DO NOT use a ropeman 1 with the muddy line as it is out of spec for the ropeman. I made my own beals and use schwabisch hitches with a tender. A schwabisch is basically half a prussic so it only grabs one direction. I can use my set up just as easily as a friend of mine that uses thicker climbing rope and a ropeman and mine packs down much smaller. If you do buy different rope I personally wouldn't buy it from tetherd as you're also paying for the name. DanO at Eastern Woods Outdoors has any rope that you'd need and for a much better price.

The muddy life line cut up to linesman and tether is all I've ever used.....I'm fixing to buy another and replace the ropes after 5 years....I cut into 10ft sections so add 1 prusik and u got 3 ropes that will work double duty linesman and tether

I never tried a ropeman

I cut down a muddy safety line for my tether and linemans without a problem. I cut a 12' section for the tether and a 10' section for the linemans. Using figure-eight knots to make a 6" loop and a stopper knot you end up with a 10' tether and 8' linemans. DO NOT use a ropeman 1 with the muddy line as it is out of spec for the ropeman. I made my own beals and use schwabisch hitches with a tender. A schwabisch is basically half a prussic so it only grabs one direction. I can use my set up just as easily as a friend of mine that uses thicker climbing rope and a ropeman and mine packs down much smaller. If you do buy different rope I personally wouldn't buy it from tetherd as you're also paying for the name. DanO at Eastern Woods Outdoors has any rope that you'd need and for a much better price.
Thanks for the response! So the lifeline /safety line I have isn't muddy, I can't remember who makes it but its thick climbing rope. It may be by hunter safety systems but its thick....but I already have a muddy rope style lineman somewhere. I think I need to start researching the DIY ropes to figure out the knots and just make both from the safety line...full disclosure the line has been hanging in a tree for 2 years now that I think about it...

The muddy life line cut up to linesman and tether is all I've ever used.....I'm fixing to buy another and replace the ropes after 5 years....I cut into 10ft sections so add 1 prusik and u got 3 ropes that will work double duty linesman and tether

I never tried a ropeman
Thanks @Weldabeast! I have the premade muddy lineman in a closet somewhere...but the safety line I have is thick ass climbing rope I think from Hunter Saftey Systems. I considered getting the rope and going the DIY route....but don't know if I trust myself to do it right.

Thanks @Weldabeast! I have the premade muddy lineman in a closet somewhere...but the safety line I have is thick ass climbing rope I think from Hunter Saftey Systems. I considered getting the rope and going the DIY route....but don't know if I trust myself to do it right.
Knot too hard....

Seriously....if u can tie ur shoe u can tie the needed knots for what u are wanting to do. Utube will show u everything u need to know.....this forum will help u out if u got questions

Thanks for the response! So the lifeline /safety line I have isn't muddy, I can't remember who makes it but its thick climbing rope. It may be by hunter safety systems but its thick....but I already have a muddy rope style lineman somewhere. I think I need to start researching the DIY ropes to figure out the knots and just make both from the safety line...full disclosure the line has been hanging in a tree for 2 years now that I think about it...
@ZHunter thanks for the recommendation on Eastern Woods Outdoors. I am strongly considering just making my own tether and LB now.

Knot too hard....

Seriously....if u can tie ur shoe u can tie the needed knots for what u are wanting to do. Utube will show u everything u need to know.....this forum will help u out if u got questions
Yeah, I like to make things...It looks like its cheaper too so I think I am going to start researching it.

I cut a lifeline a few seasons ago to use, linesman and tether. I would not use one that had been exposed to the elements for that long personally, but since you're here you must be an adult, capable of making their own decisions lol.

Yeah, I like to make things...It looks like its cheaper too so I think I am going to start researching it.
Where you from Southwestern PA? I’m new myself to the saddle this year as well and I have and do still have a lot of questions but the guys on this board are always very helpful. I have been buying and trying, albeit a lot more then I should or need to be but it’s like a crazy addiction. I haven’t even hunted out of one yet but already bought some Hawk Helium’s, some Muddy Prosticks and a Shikar stick. Although I was very intrigued with one sticking from the get go I didn’t think I’d be going that route this year. Fast forward a few short months and I’ve been one sticking and rappelling almost exclusively and I love it. I have a Tethrd Phantom that I really do like, my first and only saddle. But I’m thinking I’m going to buy a Recon just to see if I prefer it more. Or just to try out. I initially bought 2 Ropemans for my tether and lineman’s belt but have recently switched to a distel hitch on my tether because I went a smaller rope that Ropeman wasn’t recommended for and Ive been using one tether/rappel combo setup. Love the Ropeman on a lineman’s belt. I’m still learning myself but I might be able to let you check out and or try a few things sometime if you’re not too far and we can figure something out. Last I heard there’s a meetup in about 3 weeks about an hour and a half from me that I’d like to go to if work permits.
Matt

I cut a lifeline a few seasons ago to use, linesman and tether. I would not use one that had been exposed to the elements for that long personally, but since you're here you must be an adult, capable of making their own decisions lol.
I honestly forgot how long the line had been up...I will not be using it. I don't trust it. Pretty sure I will go the DIY route.

Where you from Southwestern PA? I’m new myself to the saddle this year as well and I have and do still have a lot of questions but the guys on this board are always very helpful. I have been buying and trying, albeit a lot more then I should or need to be but it’s like a crazy addiction. I haven’t even hunted out of one yet but already bought some Hawk Helium’s, some Muddy Prosticks and a Shikar stick. Although I was very intrigued with one sticking from the get go I didn’t think I’d be going that route this year. Fast forward a few short months and I’ve been one sticking and rappelling almost exclusively and I love it. I have a Tethrd Phantom that I really do like, my first and only saddle. But I’m thinking I’m going to buy a Recon just to see if I prefer it more. Or just to try out. I initially bought 2 Ropemans for my tether and lineman’s belt but have recently switched to a distel hitch on my tether because I went a smaller rope that Ropeman wasn’t recommended for and Ive been using one tether/rappel combo setup. Love the Ropeman on a lineman’s belt. I’m still learning myself but I might be able to let you check out and or try a few things sometime if you’re not too far and we can figure something out. Last I heard there’s a meetup in about 3 weeks about an hour and a half from me that I’d like to go to if work permits.
Matt
Im down near the MD border. Somerset. I am getting a set of muddy pro sticks, I got a great deal lined up on a set of 4 brand new. I am going to look into everything else you typed! I thought I kind of had a handle on this but I guess not! Don't mind some research. Disclaimer I am on the larger side...6ft 2 245 on my lighter dayz

wow that website is cool. Thanks! Is there a general consensus on what knots to use for what?
Oh let's see.
For a tether some folks use an overhand loop for one end or poachers, girth hitch to the tree and tie a double overhand at the other end to prevent your ascender or prusik from slipping off the rope. Sounds like you'd have to be an idiot to do that but trust me in the heat of the moment you'll forget and that knot will save your butt.
For the linemans belt a figure 8 follow through is popular for securing the line to the loops on your saddle then a double overhand at the other end. If you're tying prusiks use double fisherman's.
The above setup is what I use with no problems. Some tips: leave tag ends, at least 3". If for whatever reason your knot gives you want extra line for the knot to tighten.
Practice practice practice. Then practice some more. Get very familiar with your lines and equipment. Practice at ground level first.
Never stow wet line. Hang it to let it dry.
You said you were gonna use life lines, if they're past a season or have been hanging outside I'd replace them. Water and dirt gets inside and causes rot, weakening the core. Sunlight, specifically uv degrades and deteriorates the sheath. Just like brakes, ropes are not the area to cut corners. Get quality, your life depends on it.

Im down near the MD border. Somerset. I am getting a set of muddy pro sticks, I got a great deal lined up on a set of 4 brand new. I am going to look into everything else you typed! I thought I kind of had a handle on this but I guess not! Don't mind some research. Disclaimer I am on the larger side...6ft 2 245 on my lighter dayz
I live in Jennerstown now but I keep all my gear at my old house where my daughter lives now. Do most of my hunting there. It’s about half an hour

Oh let's see.
For a tether some folks use an overhand loop for one end or poachers, girth hitch to the tree and tie a double overhand at the other end to prevent your ascender or prusik from slipping off the rope. Sounds like you'd have to be an idiot to do that but trust me in the heat of the moment you'll forget and that knot will save your butt.
For the linemans belt a figure 8 follow through is popular for securing the line to the loops on your saddle then a double overhand at the other end. If you're tying prusiks use double fisherman's.
The above setup is what I use with no problems. Some tips: leave tag ends, at least 3". If for whatever reason your knot gives you want extra line for the knot to tighten.
Practice practice practice. Then practice some more. Get very familiar with your lines and equipment. Practice at ground level first.
Never stow wet line. Hang it to let it dry.
You said you were gonna use life lines, if they're past a season or have been hanging outside I'd replace them. Water and dirt gets inside and causes rot, weakening the core. Sunlight, specifically uv degrades and deteriorates the sheath. Just like brakes, ropes are not the area to cut corners. Get quality, your life depends on it.
Wow, Thank you so much! I am definitely not using the safety line I have. I don't trust it, I know what being exposed to the elements can do to rope and just didn't think about that when I asked the question originally for some reason. am going to look into all this in-depth. So you don't use carabiners to attach to the loops for the linesman? I want to get everything sorted and start practicing. Is the tethered phantom a good saddle or should I look elsewhere, I am larger 245 6ft 2in but am trying to be mobile, that why I was drawn to tethered.

Last edited:
I attach one end of the loops with a biner. The other end is tied to the saddle with a figure 8 follow through. I'm almost 6'2" and was 245, losing weight now. I can't tell you if the phantom will be a good fit as no two individuals are the same. Your best bet is to call them and chat. I have a flex, Deb was great. I called and talked to her for awhile. Also, see if you can meet up with some folks where you live.

Back