• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cool drt climbing video seems like the cheapest way to climb

This is interesting...

What knot is used to tie the carabiner to the main line, and how much of a tag end do you leave? It looks like the tag end is then whipped around the rope below the carabiner just to store it compactly?

On using the preset cord loops to pull the climbing rope up into the tree, wouldn't it be easier to fish the tag end up & over instead of the carabiner end? Similar to your tip on getting the rope down by pulling on the carabiner end so the free tag end goes up & over. Seems less likely to get stuck that way when either pulling the rope up or pulling it down. But maybe not?

I wish the video would have showed Scott making his full descent. It did have a short segment about 3/4 of the way through showing how he just hangs/stands horizontally out from the tree and then uses his hand to slide the Blake's hitch down. But a little more detail on that would be helpful.

Thanks for sharing this!

I climb both drt and srt(mainly) and as far as energy expended I will choose srt every time. Also I noticed he used no cambrium saver(friction saver) which increases friction and damages the tree. While hip thrusting is one of the oldest and least gear intensive ways to ascend it is a lot of work. I hunted this past season with a preset and used a Rope Wrench and a foot ascender not all that much gear really. I climbed to 20-25' in seconds not minutes. Using this device or another hybrid device does require a good knowledge of climbing techniques as well as knowing how to tie hitches because your life is riding on it. When I climb drt I use a hitch with a hitchclimber pulley and a foot ascender very easy to climb because you are only lifting half your weight but is slower as you are only moving half the rope each stride.

I was totally planning on doing this this upcoming season. So bad@$$.

I climb both drt and srt(mainly) and as far as energy expended I will choose srt every time. Also I noticed he used no cambrium saver(friction saver) which increases friction and damages the tree. While hip thrusting is one of the oldest and least gear intensive ways to ascend it is a lot of work. I hunted this past season with a preset and used a Rope Wrench and a foot ascender not all that much gear really. I climbed to 20-25' in seconds not minutes. Using this device or another hybrid device does require a good knowledge of climbing techniques as well as knowing how to tie hitches because your life is riding on it. When I climb drt I use a hitch with a hitchclimber pulley and a foot ascender very easy to climb because you are only lifting half your weight but is slower as you are only moving half the rope each stride.
A video would be super awesome! I want to learn...I've looked at a lot of stuff on YouTube and can't decide which way to go.

This the way currently do it but I have a double foot loop on my acender makes it easier for my fat .butt to get up tree

Thanks for this. I'm new to saddlehunting and this technique looks easy. I was wondering: I have a ton of trees where I previously had hang ons (private land) with those HSS safetly lines already in the tree (the type that wrap around the tree and run all the way to the ground with a prussic knot). Could I just use these as the rope for an SRT climb?

I'll admit I really want to try one of these rope climbing methods but without someone to show me in person, I'm not very confident about trying it.

I'm definitely happy with the SRT method and 40' of rope but this looks like another great option. Excellent video!

I believe my SRT set up would be slightly lighter but the difference is probably not significant. I'm going in the woods with 2.87 pounds if I have a pre set for SRT. Add 14oz. throw bag and line for run and gun.

SRT (2.58 lbs):
40' Sterling 9mm HPT-1.7 lb
Petzl ascender .36 lb
Petzl foot tape .14 lb
Madrock Safeguard .34 lb
1" webbing loop connection for ascender .04lb

Optional (.29 lbs):
redirect, oval carabiner .13 lb
ATC .14 lb
friction hitch .02 lb

Last edited:
I'll admit I really want to try one of these rope climbing methods but without someone to show me in person, I'm not very confident about trying it.
Similar here. I've been watching some videos and doing some reading.

I ordered a book on recreational tree climbing and just want to learn a bit more about it as a possible additional option in the future.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I felt a maf
I'm definitely happy with the SRT method and 40' of rope but this looks like another great option. Excellent video!

I believe my SRT set up would be slightly lighter but the difference is probably not significant. I'm going in the woods with 2.87 pounds if I have a pre set for SRT. Add 14oz. throw bag and line for run and gun.

SRT (2.58 lbs):
40' Sterling 9mm HPT-1.7 lb
Petzl ascender .36 lb
Petzl foot tape .14 lb
Madrock Safeguard .34 lb
1" webbing loop connection for ascender .04lb

Optional (.29 lbs):
redirect, oval carabiner .13 lb
ATC .14 lb
friction hitch .02 lb
I felt the madrock wasn't safe enough for me so I bought petzl pro I felt if window cleaners trusted it enough to hang off the sides of building s it work good for me auto brakings eemed good to me a controlled decent so but it was like 200 some bucks

Back