• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cotton Balls?

Tr33_n1nj@

SH Member
Anybody else use cotton balls like milkweed? I took one outside and pulled a few fibers and let them go in the breeze. They float pretty good and you can see them for a good distance. I’m thinking spray them with scent killer or put them in the ozone bag to de-scent them.

Anybody else use cotton balls like milkweed? I took one outside and pulled a few fibers and let them go in the breeze. They float pretty good and you can see them for a good distance. I’m thinking spray them with scent killer or put them in the ozone bag to de-scent them.
I experimented with cotton vs milkweed, side by side a few weeks ago.
Milkweed easily out performed the cotton when the size of the floater is taken in to account.
A 1" diameter milk floater stays aloft much longer than 1" of cotton. Plus, the cotton floater needs to be formed (pulled apart) to make it as efficient as in can be. The milk floater comes out of the pod fully formed and ready to drift.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I agree with Tom......you can sit there and work the smallest fibers out of a cotton ball and it won't float near as long as milkweed. Milkweed is designed to float....cotton isn't. However, cotton works a lot better than most things sold in stores (wind powder, etc.)

I use cotton balls, and just pull off little pieces. I stored mine in baking soda for awhile to remove any scent. I've been using the same cotton ball (stuffed in an old film canister with slit in bottom) for two years.

I experimented with cotton vs milkweed, side by side a few weeks ago.
Milkweed easily out performed the cotton when the size of the floater is taken in to account.
A 1" diameter milk floater stays aloft much longer than 1" of cotton. Plus, the cotton floater needs to be formed (pulled apart) to make it as efficient as in can be. The milk floater comes out of the pod fully formed and ready to drift.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Exactly what I’ve experienced but it works if you don’t have milkweed.

I used cotton before I discovered milkweed. I shoved it in small holes on my bow so it would always be assessable. It worked way better than powder puff bottles but once I started using milkweed it paled in comparison. I would use it if I didn't have milkweed, but I don't see myself running out of milkweed.

Back