• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Could somebody show me a REDIRECT from a saddle hunting position

BFI

Please bear with me Im new here. In tree work we do Redirects when we need to re position in a tree for the ability to reach our work. lets say I have a Kersel Im in a normal position by the trunk but its not the best position for shooting a better position would be over about 4 feet. In tree work we Redirect our tie in point to position for work. the tree climbers work saddle has loops on the back and sides that can be for positioning.
example is to have 2 tie in points do you guys do this. here is a example of a tree worker.

There's a lot of assumptions there:
  • You have multiple platforms enabling you to reposition in the tree on different trunks
  • You are hunting from a multi-trunked tree that you can put a tether on the second trunk
  • You have curated additional shooting lanes/branches on other parts of the tree
  • Your local deer herd are tolerant of all of the movement required to reposition in such a manner
That being said the kestrel has linemans loops on the sides of the saddle but not load bearing loops on the rear. In theory you could do everything you're talking about with some practice and caution, though it sounds really impractical to me personally. I haven't had to take an offside shot while saddle hunting.

If i had to reposition i'd just as soon do it in a different tree with shooting lanes where.

Last edited:
That was pretty neat but in saddlehunting you are stationary facing the tree with a platform so you can shoot 360 around the tree. I think that would be way too much movement a deer would not tolerate that.

ok thanks for the reply. The saddle Kestrel has non load bearing loops on sides and rear i like that. what im really looking for is a easy way to take a load off my feet and knees by just putting a tag line out to hold my position out away from the tree thats why i asked about the loops. resti if a target approaches i could very easily tension off the tag line back to tree platform with my weight.
do any of you guys do this or are you spending all of your time resting on feet or knees. another concern here is im a oneida shooter that may be a problem with saddle hunting.

That was pretty neat but in saddlehunting you are stationary facing the tree with a platform so you can shoot 360 around the tree. I think that would be way too much movement a deer would not tolerate that.

Lol by the time I get my fat A// up the tree a little tag line rig would be just a little set up. maybe a climber is still for me. actually I use my climber to rig other guys stands and game poles and tree work im pretty quiet and quick but tree selection is limited and the climber is a pain to carry around.

the pure thought of hanging by that safety vest is what has me here. if i was only 20 years younger and 30 pounds lighter with no foot back and knee problems, I know someday low level and ground hunts will be the new normal, but I love 15 to 25 foot tree hunts.

ok thanks for the reply. The saddle Kestrel has non load bearing loops on sides and rear i like that. what im really looking for is a easy way to take a load off my feet and knees by just putting a tag line out to hold my position out away from the tree thats why i asked about the loops. resti if a target approaches i could very easily tension off the tag line back to tree platform with my weight.
do any of you guys do this or are you spending all of your time resting on feet or knees. another concern here is im a oneida shooter that may be a problem with saddle hunting.

Your first post had me a bit baffled. I'm well aware of what redirects are but wasn't quite sure how you were trying to incorporate one into hunting. If it's comfort you're after I think a Guidos Web is the solution to your problem. Comfortable to sit in taking the weight off your legs and the whale tail keeps you off the trunk.

The problem with double crotching, tag lines, etc., is that even if you can get them set up quickly and quietly initially. All that stuff is going to be in the way and limit your movement around the tree to get in position to take a shot when a deer comes in. To make adjustments to that stuff in the moment is gonna get you busted so it seems to me that it's the worst of both worlds. Can't move and can't afford the movement to allow you to move. Unless I'm not completely seeing the whole picture which is always a possibility :D

Your first post had me a bit baffled. I'm well aware of what redirects are but wasn't quite sure how you were trying to incorporate one into hunting. If it's comfort you're after I think a Guidos Web is the solution to your problem. Comfortable to sit in taking the weight off your legs and the whale tail keeps you off the trunk.

The problem with double crotching, tag lines, etc., is that even if you can get them set up quickly and quietly initially. All that stuff is going to be in the way and limit your movement around the tree to get in position to take a shot when a deer comes in. To make adjustments to that stuff in the moment is gonna get you busted so it seems to me that it's the worst of both worlds. Can't move and can't afford the movement to allow you to move. Unless I'm not completely seeing the whole picture which is always a possibility :D

Brydan, that is so true about limiting shots and movement. another liability I may suffer is the Onieda any input from someone who shoots oneida would help. I see some traditional shooters use the saddles but the cocking of the limbs on the Oneida and target actualization with ropes bridges life lines tag lines what a cluster F****. Regardless I still love the idea and the challenge of saddle hunting and im smart enough to overcome these challenges. thank you for the input and help.

I dont know if a buck would even put up with me moving around the tree with any girth hitch bark noise and a biner tink, but like always make those movements when you can and dont when you cant just like standing up from a seated climber.

Brydan, that is so true about limiting shots and movement. another liability I may suffer is the Onieda any input from someone who shoots oneida would help. I see some traditional shooters use the saddles but the cocking of the limbs on the Oneida and target actualization with ropes bridges life lines tag lines what a cluster F****. Regardless I still love the idea and the challenge of saddle hunting and im smart enough to overcome these challenges. thank you for the input and help.

Plenty of onestringers here. I find way more freedom shooting in a saddle.

Back