• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cranford rope steps and saddle scaffold set up

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Ok, so, as much as I love 2TC for run and gun hunting I have a couple of spots that are way back in the thick and nasty and have trees that are not too conducive to 2TC (or much else for that matter). I had a few Cranford rope steps on hand I bought a few years ago so I was familiar with them. When I saw a recent offering in the classified by Shmeags for some Cranford rope steps and a Saddle Scaffold I decided to buy them. I had a great transaction with Shmeags, by the way. I would not hesitate to buy from him again anytime.

When I got the rope steps and saddle scaffold, I promptly put them on a tree out back and played around with using them. The only thing I have to iron out is how to carry and deploy them if I were to use them in a semi run and gun situation. I sort of see these as short-term permanent sets, if that makes sense. Put them in a good core bedding spot and then just pull the last 4 steps and be able to come back in and place the 4 steps and shimmy up the tree. I'm not too worried about the ropes rotting or anything. I had two rope on steps out back serving as a ring of steps on a tree that I had set for Drt practice and they were up for about 9 months and I pulled them down a couple of days ago and the ropes are fine. I'd probably put this out right before season and pull it after the season ends or after I drag a buck out, whichever is sooner.

Carrying: I was in town the other day and I went by Academy Sports. They had a couple of tiny backpacks (boys backpacks) for $10 each so I grabbed 2 as an impulse buy, lol. It turns out that the saddle scaffold and 10 rope on Cranford steps will easily fit in the pack with a little room to spare. I'm considering adding two D loops to the top sides of the packs to attach an over the shoulder strap to use the bag as a shoulder bag while climbing. This is a work in progress.

Saddle Scaffold: It is very solid when it is ratcheted down to the tree. The two slight issues I have with it is the little nubs on the ends of the steps, and feeding the strap through the ratchet while setting it on the tree. The nubs are not the most comfortable thing to stand on and I I assume they use the same stamping for the ROS as they do their folding screw in step. This makes perfect sense from a manufacturing standpoint. In the first case, I alleviated this issue by sawing off the little nubs with my metal cutting bandsaw and grinding the cuts down smooth. This sets the ROS steps in the same configuration as the rope on steps. Issue solved.

For the strap issue, I did what I did with my ratchet strap I have 7 Pioneer steps on and replaced the bolt that holds the end of the ratchet strap to the ratchet with a wire clip D pin. These things are pretty strong and from past experience I have not seen any sign of the one I have been using showing any signs of bending or wear. Of course, If you decide to do this it is up to you. I can't recommend it for anyone else.

Anyway, so there is where I am with this method. I've been interested in getting some of the rope on steps for a while and trying them out. I've also been eyeing that saddle scaffold since it came out. So far, so good.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 56
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 53
  • D pin 1.jpg
    D pin 1.jpg