• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cranford's "EZY Saddle Scaffold" is finally ready to ship

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
Apr 1, 2014
Finally!, Cranford is ready to ship the “EZY Saddle Scaffold“ (ring of 4 folding steps on a ratchet strap).

Cranford will begin shipping on July 15th and Dennis (owner of Cranford) has set up an email address at: saddlescaffold@ezyclimb.com to which you can order by sending your name, address, and phone number to get on the list to order. Dennis will reply as to what you want. That will be the easiest way to take orders in the order they are received.

The EZY Saddle Scaffold will NOT be on the Cranford website at this time and for right now there are just over 100 Scaffolds available along with some singles and the pricing will be as follows:
4 step set with strap -$59.90 (I suggest ordering at least one additional step to add to the ring)
Single step no strap -$11.97
Single strap-on step -$13.02 (I would not suggest a full set of these for climbing as that many ratchets and straps would be a bit heavy and cumbersome). Cumbersome and weight is the same reason I'm not a fan of some of the other popular strap-on steps that simply take up too much space for freelancing.

As always, Cranford had the EZY Saddle Scaffold steps independently tested for weight bearing load. Two Scaffold sets were tested and each test was on an individual step while strapped to a tree in a hunting situation and the results were quite surprising. The first test per step was with 300 pounds, then 450 pounds, then 525 pounds and finally with 600 pounds with no implications of failure. Wanting to determine a load failure per step they kept going up and failure per step was between 850 and 950 pounds.

The buckle on the strap is a ratchet which does make a little noise and the steps fold up when not in use or during transport.

I've had 2 sets of these for over a year and once securely strapped to a tree, these steps DO NOT MOVE at all. No downward movement away from the tree and no side movement whatsoever. These steps are more solid than screw in steps, they simply do not move once in place due to the wings on them that slightly bite into the bark.

Several seasoned hunters on the saddle hunter forum were sent a set to try and all feedback was very positive.

As a side note, I'm not in any monetary manner affiliated with Cranford Manufacturing and have no other reason to endorse all their fine products other than they are the best products made for climbing trees and now for hunting from a ring of steps on while saddle hunting public land where screw in steps are not legal.

Cranford's EZY Saddle Scaffold (ring of steps) 216kb.jpegCranford's EZY Saddle Scaffold (ring of steps) folded up 134kb.jpegCranford's new EZY Saddle Scaffold (ring of steps) 200kb.jpeg

As a

tmattson

Jul 2, 2019
South East Michigan
Well getting ready to order my first saddle - Mantis starter kit, just trying to nail down L or XL.
Assume these will be a needed and great addition, will email to get on the list.
How much does it weigh with 5 steps (adding one step)?

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
Well getting ready to order my first saddle - Mantis starter kit, just trying to nail down L or XL.
Assume these will be a needed and great addition, will email to get on the list.
How much does it weigh with 5 steps (adding one step)?
Based on the numbers posted above 3.5lbs. That puts the weight right there with many of the platforms on the market. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. They are probably going to be the best thing going for the money. You could shave a half pound using the ocb and strap from doublesteps. We knew they would be steel so slightly on the heavy side. They will be pretty compact. Looking forward to seeing some detailed reviews of them.

ricky racer

Aug 8, 2016
Niles/Buchanan, MI
These look really well made and the price is attractive too. I'm surprised that they chose that step to use for a platform instead of a step with a flatter top and a less slanted profile. John himself mentioned that he didn't like that step for a platform in this video.

I suppose they were trying to keep the price and development cost down by using what they already are manufacturing.

tiderdan

Oct 26, 2018
John, I am able to screw in steps where I hunt. Would you say this product would be a significant improvement if you can screw in steps around the tree which is what I have always done. Thanks

slydog

Feb 13, 2019
It would be nice to hear from the "seasoned hunters from saddle hunter forum" that were given these steps to test. After watching the video ricky racer posted where John listed the things he didn't like about the design of what looks to be the same step now mounted on a strap it would be nice to get other opinions, good or bad.

Silvio

May 6, 2019
Grand Blanc MI
YAHOO
silvio26@yahoo.com
It would be nice to hear from the "seasoned hunters from saddle hunter forum" that were given these steps to test. After watching the video ricky racer posted where John listed the things he didn't like about the design of what looks to be the same step now mounted on a strap it would be nice to get other opinions, good or bad.
It's a different step for sure...I bought a set and just recieved them two days ago...my first impression is that they are rock solid with their strap and rachet... once you rachet them to the tree they just dont move...on the downside they are collectively heavier and noisier than my squirrel steps...going to put them thru the passes before and during the season...I've been working on quieting them down and will post something to that effect
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life

beej32

Dec 10, 2017
Mine arrived today. These are significantly heavier than the bullman steps, but bundle up much better for transport, with the bundle about 1/2 the size.

I think it'll be easier to wrap and tape these than it was for the bullman steps- I did a lot of cutting of tape for those to cover the needed areas without affecting how effectively they can be positioned. One of my worries with the folding step was the potential for noise between the two pieces, but there's enough friction there I don't think that's likely.

I have zero doubt these will hold on the tree better. With the bullmans you REALLY have to cinch them down, and even then they'll sometimes slide along the strap a bit.

So between those 2 options, if weight is your main concern, the bullman ROS wins hands down. But if that's less of a concern I think these are a better "budget" option. With those being the only 2 options I've tried, I'd guess ameristeps users might like how these fold up but really dislike the weight. I don't feel like these would have any appeal for anyone that already has golden bucks or squirrel steps, unless you're one of those who's felt they have too much play in those (again, I haven't used them).

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
I have ameristeps and api sky hooks. I have tried squirrel steps. The ameristeps are bulky but rock solid for me. My sky hooks and the squirrel steps aren’t solid for me. They give with side pressure. They don’t slide around on the strap but just turn some side to side. It doesn’t effect my shooting or my comfort. I’m still trying to get used to them but it’s just a mind thing. Your brain just doesn’t like it when you take a step onto something that moves with your weight. It will take some getting used to but I think performance wise they are fine. These new steps are interesting. Especially at the price point. I have no doubt they will be stable. The angle of the step doesn’t seem like it would be a huge problem. I can’t wait to hear more as people start getting them in their hands.

Reactions: Ontariofarmer

Sticknstring88

Apr 10, 2016
Got mine in today. They are definitely super solid once on the tree but they are also loud clanking on one another. Going to try to silence them with some vet wrap and see how that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KartShot

Sticknstring88

Apr 10, 2016
Wrapped them up in camo vet wrap and it made a huge difference. Noise is no longer an issue. Very impressed by their stability on the tree.

218c685d826fbf787115cc413eb7b584.jpg

55fe38df11f5b60af887171829ae5da2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Beard

SH Member
Mar 3, 2019
in my skin
Got mine in today and slapped them on a 10in tree. Man... they're waaaaay more solid than the Bullmans! Pretty surprised about the weight. I immediately started thinking if I could do without a fifth step. Certainly see some wrap in their future.