• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

CT Quick Roll Rope Size

jb27

Hello. I'm new to saddle hunting, been doing a lot of reading and video watching. I'm going to give SRT a try for ascending. I Just purchased a CT Quick Roll Hand Ascender and noticed it is marked for 8-13mm and 10-13mm ropes. From what I can see, it's certified for 8-13mm rope for EN 567 and for 10-13mm rope for EN 12841. Conservatively, I purchased some 11mm rope to fit within both ranges, but my mad rock safeguard doesn't seem to work well with the 11mm rope. I've played a little bit with 9mm rope and both the Quick Roll and Safeguard both seem to work Ok. Much better rappelling with the 9mm rope compared to the 11mm. I've only played around a few feet off the ground. I was curious, practically speaking, if the Quick Roll was commonly being used for saddle hunting with a 9mm rope? If not, I may try a 10mm rope or try a grigri as I've heard it'll be a bit smoother on a thicker rope.

Hello. I'm new to saddle hunting, been doing a lot of reading and video watching. I'm going to give SRT a try for ascending. I Just purchased a CT Quick Roll Hand Ascender and noticed it is marked for 8-13mm and 10-13mm ropes. From what I can see, it's certified for 8-13mm rope for EN 567 and for 10-13mm rope for EN 12841. Conservatively, I purchased some 11mm rope to fit within both ranges, but my mad rock safeguard doesn't seem to work well with the 11mm rope. I've played a little bit with 9mm rope and both the Quick Roll and Safeguard both seem to work Ok. Much better rappelling with the 9mm rope compared to the 11mm. I've only played around a few feet off the ground. I was curious, practically speaking, if the Quick Roll was commonly being used for saddle hunting with a 9mm rope? If not, I may try a 10mm rope or try a grigri as I've heard it'll be a bit smoother on a thicker rope.
CT quick roll looks pretty interesting. May be smother than what I use. I use a carabiner on my hand ascender and run the tail of my 8mm rope thru it for pull up on my right hand and a foot loop on my left foot. Your madrock spec I believe is 8.1 mm recommended so I don t suggest you use 8 mm but some do anyway. I 1 stick mainly but find if I hunt mornings in some cases I leave my 1 stick setup, and ROS in place, rappel leave rappel rope in place then ascend same setup for an evening hunt in the same tree. Hope I haven’t confused you too much.

Back