• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Custom tree v-bracket prototype in the works

DanO

Vendor Rep
Working with my machinist friend on a new tree v-bracket for climbing sticks. These won't be cheap, but will be made in USA of 7075 aluminum. These will work with any 1" aluminum tube stick. Too early to tell on pricing, but is there interest for something like this even if it was more than the $9.99 versions from Lone Wolf or XOP? This version of the prototype would have the 1/4"-20 hole tapped, so you don't need a nut on the other side. Also, I don't think that area would crack even if cranked down since it is beefier there. Let me know your thoughts and is 1/4" big enough with appropriate hardware or should it be 5/16"?
Stay tuned for platform brackets.

vbracket3.png
vbracket1.png

Only real difference I see between that and the LW stick bracket is the shoulders. And that brings up the problem I would have with them....I use the shoprider step which fits on a 1-1/4” tube so obviously between the two I would continue to use the LW bracket.

I might go with 5/16 - the difference in bolt weight made up by not having a nut. I haven't seen comparison of strength of threaded connection in Aluminum vs steel - I assume you guys have considered that, and are comfortable with a bolt not pulling through when a 300lber hops on?

I might go with 5/16 - the difference in bolt weight made up by not having a nut. I haven't seen comparison of strength of threaded connection in Aluminum vs steel - I assume you guys have considered that, and are comfortable with a bolt not pulling through when a 300lber hops on?
What @kyler1945 said..... Also, I hate drilling steel studs out of aluminum engine blocks(darn GMC!) and the dislike metals tend to be susceptible to galvanic corrosion in moisture rich environments...

What @kyler1945 said..... Also, I hate drilling steel studs out of aluminum engine blocks(darn GMC!) and the dislike metals tend to be susceptible to galvanic corrosion in moisture rich environments...

Completely forgot about the corrosion issue...that may make quick work of threaded connection.

worst case someone can drill out and put a nut. I know you're trying to make things easier, but I'd end up drilling out. I would defnitley be down for a set though to put on my muddy sticks. Can you make them fold too :)

Good points, will consider. Not locked in yet. @dalton916 - these are for climbing sticks, not platforms. I also use a shoprider platform with a 1.25" tube. Will have a different bracket for those. These v-brackets aren't designed to be cammed down tight with a ratchet or or camming action, just with a rope or cam strap.

Completely forgot about the corrosion issue...that may make quick work of threaded connection.

worst case someone can drill out and put a nut. I know you're trying to make things easier, but I'd end up drilling out. I would defnitley be down for a set though to put on my muddy sticks. Can you make them fold too :)
Need to modify design to accommodate nut now though, as it would interfere with nesting as is. Will go back to XOP/Lone Wolf style with pocket for nut. Working on a folding design, really, but that is down the road.

Ah I didn't think about the issue with nesting. That's where the benefit is...knew I was missing something.

What about using allen bolt - run in from the backside ?

Good points, will consider. Not locked in yet. @dalton916 - these are for climbing sticks, not platforms. I also use a shoprider platform with a 1.25" tube. Will have a different bracket for those. These v-brackets aren't designed to be cammed down tight with a ratchet or or camming action, just with a rope or cam strap.

I personally like the way the Beast standoffs are designed. The nut seems to be tucked far enough in the standoff to not be in the way even when you stack them facing each other. They also look like they are wider and do not seem to stick out as far from the stick, but that's only looking at pictures and not having seen them in person.

Machine screw is the same as the Allen bolt with a lower profile head. Might work a little better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan O, I appreciate what you and your machinist friend are doing, I just have a question for you. What are you doing to protect yourself from a lawsuit in case of a failure?

Dan O, I appreciate what you and your machinist friend are doing, I just have a question for you. What are you doing to protect yourself from a lawsuit in case of a failure?

Setting up an LLC, and getting general liability insurance is probably sufficient here. People are taking pieces of metal, and modifying them for their own uses. This is why I'd stop the offering at steps, or brackets, and not offer any whole sort of system. When you give folks something they don't need to modify to kill themselves, it takes on a different amount of responsibility.

Setting up an LLC, and getting general liability insurance is probably sufficient here. People are taking pieces of metal, and modifying them for their own uses. This is why I'd stop the offering at steps, or brackets, and not offer any whole sort of system. When you give folks something they don't need to modify to kill themselves, it takes on a different amount of responsibility.
Already setup an LLC with DoubleSteps as the DBA. Haven't picked up liability insurance yet, researching still. If sued, there are no assets in the LLC at this point.

Last edited:
I think DanO and his machinist friend are doing a great job offering us options instead of having to buy new sticks. I am happy with the double steps I added to the lw sticks. If they have new brackets that don't slip I would take a chance on those as well. I am buying them at my choice to use so it is my fault if something goes wrong, because that means I modified something too much. I prefer to use nuts and bolts, instead of self tapped. Then there is not chance of a bolt stripping out when I am stepping on it.

How much stress is there on a step compared to something like the limb bolt on a compound? That is a steel bolt into aluminum and is adjusted under tension.

Back