• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Daisy Chain

PJC

I don’t know why I’m not getting many notices from Saddlehunter.com. Only a couple threads. Maybe everyone is hunting instead of posting. I sure am.
Can someone point me back to a thread about making a daisy chain from 1/4” Amsteel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @BigCountry.
I think I’m going to make two sets of these about 3’ long. One will be plenty long on 80% of the trees I hunt and when I need to hunt from a larger tree I can girth hitch a second one onto the first one to make a six foot rope. Now I just need to find a video showing me how to make it.

What’s the name of the place everyone buys rope? Dutch something?

Reactions: PJC
I had no issues and have used it all year on many different sized trees. In about 60 sits I think I have sat in 50+ different trees.

I made my daisy chain about 5.5 ft long which takes about 11 ft of amsteel. It's basically doubled upon itself the whole way including the end buries. I made the loops just big enough to fit over the post so it fits more options. Best other advice I can give is to do the multi loop end first so you only have to pull the doubled rope through once while making the single loop. I actually made the one I used this season twice from the same rope. After using it several times I felt I could make the loops smaller so I undid all the splices and started over using smaller loops. The process is pretty simple.

I had no issues and have used it all year on many different sized trees. In about 60 sits I think I have sat in 50+ different trees.

I made my daisy chain about 5.5 ft long which takes about 11 ft of amsteel. It's basically doubled upon itself the whole way including the end buries. I made the loops just big enough to fit over the post so it fits more options. Best other advice I can give is to do the multi loop end first so you only have to pull the doubled rope through once while making the single loop. I actually made the one I used this season twice from the same rope. After using it several times I felt I could make the loops smaller so I undid all the splices and started over using smaller loops. The process is pretty simple.

How close to the end of one chain link is the beginning of the next?

Do I need a FID or any other tools to make the daisy chain?

I used a FID but I think you could do it just as well by pushing a taper tool thru the middle of the rope to spread it open and using tape to make a point on the ends of the amsteel like BCHunter did.

How close to the end of one chain link is the beginning of the next?

I didn't measure, I just did it by eye but I would estimate the loops are 1.25 to 1.5 inches in length on average. The post on my predator is 1" in diameter.

I used a FID but I think you could do it just as well by pushing a taper tool thru the middle of the rope to spread it open and using tape to make a point on the ends of the amsteel like BCHunter did.

I’m looking at FIDs on Amazon and I don’t see any for 7/64 size.

I didn't measure, I just did it by eye but I would estimate the loops are 1.25 to 1.5 inches in length on average. The post on my predator is 1" in diameter.

So there doesn’t have to be a specific amount of rope between loops?

I’m looking at FIDs on Amazon and I don’t see any for 7/64 size.

The FID I used on 1/4" my was a 3/8" FID. Amsteel spreads really easy so a larger FID will work. In fact I think I used that same 3/8 FID to daisy chain some 1/8" amsteel I use as my gear hanger.

So there doesn’t have to be a specific amount of rope between loops?

Just make the feed thru's as close to the last exit as possible when making the brummel splices. When the splice is pulled tight is will control the space between the loops.

The FID I used on 1/4" my was a 3/8" FID. Amsteel spreads really easy so a larger FID will work. In fact I think I used that same 3/8 FID to daisy chain some 1/8" amsteel I use as my gear hanger.

Oh man! Your going to have me making all kinds of cool stuff! I need a better gear hanger too!

Just make the feed thru's as close to the last exit as possible when making the brummel splices. When the splice is pulled tight is will control the space between the loops.

Ok. I’ll read the thread you linked for me to try to figure this out. Good times.

Back