• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Darkening the Cruzr Mesh

Spartan

I ordered the XC a couple months ago in the "Grey" version expecting something closer to a neutral, gunmetal grey. If you've seen this "grey" fabric from Cruzr, you're probably aware it's closer to a bright silver, at least in my opinion. Love the saddle, but the color really bothered me. Just looked unnatural. Really can't understand why they would go with this silver color and black as their only options, but it is what it is. Perhaps they want their brand to stand out a bit.

It was time to wash the saddle after weeks of climbing in 90 degree weather, so figured might be a good time to see if I could darken that mesh a bit. Ten minutes in the pot with some brown dye and it is much closer to that gunmetal grey I wanted. But I'll admit, the brown dye that I used didn't have nearly the effect on the mesh that I was expecting, even though it was synthetic fabric dye. But I'm happy with it. It's darker now and much less obnoxious.

Note the lineman's loop on the far left in the pic. What used to be the bright red inside portion of that loop did take the brown dye very well....it is now dark brown instead of bright red. Interesting how the different fabrics respond to the dye.

IMG_5379.jpg

Back