• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

David Ferianc before and after properly using ScentLok

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
Apr 1, 2014
Since I get so much negative flack on ScentLok and scent control, and most other hunters I know that pay zero attention to wind direction due to properly caring for and using ScentLok (and I know a ton of them) don't visit forums, attached are 2 photos. One is of the bucks David Ferianc took prior to reading my first book "Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails" and applying my methods, which include the proper care, storage and use of ScentLok garments, and a picture of the buck's David has taken since reading the book and using ScentLok.

On a previous post with pictures of David's bucks before and after using a saddle, the before picture included 3 big bucks that he took before using a saddle but after he started using ScentLok which was immediately after he read the book in 2004. So here are the before the Eberhart Way and after. The before is before using ScentLok and the after is since using ScentLok.

I will try to get David to reply to what I'm certain will be some contradictions to the technology.

David Ferianc bucks before the Eberhart Way and using ScentLok.jpg

David Ferianc bucks after the Eberhart Way and using ScentLok.jpg

I don't think there's much else to say!

SkylineReaper

Nov 5, 2018
Hey John I too am a firm believer in Scent control and I know a lot of people have a lot of opinions on this matter and that's fine everybody's entitled to their own opinion and everybody has their own methods of hunting. My question to you is as a fellow Michigander if I were to buy only one scent lock suit for the entire season which one would you suggest I will say that I do focus mainly on the bow hunting season but would like to possibly be able to use it during Gun. I hunt mostly in the thumb of Michigan but sometimes in southern Michigan and next year plan I'm going to Ohio.

Reactions: Kurt

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
@John Eberhart you will never convince everyone and I am ok with that. Here’s a picture of a guy I work with and his brother. That’s exactly what they were wearing that morning minus their orange vest. Those are pretty good public land bucks for Georgia. They don’t usually get it done on the same morning but they generally do pretty good every year. I’m not sure I want these guys wearing scentlok. The rest of us wouldn’t stand a chance:)
4798BBC1-AA71-440B-83B4-04FBEBF5AB39.jpeg

Kurt

Nov 1, 2018
Massachusetts
Hey John I too am a firm believer in Scent control and I know a lot of people have a lot of opinions on this matter and that's fine everybody's entitled to their own opinion and everybody has their own methods of hunting. My question to you is as a fellow Michigander if I were to buy only one scent lock suit for the entire season which one would you suggest I will say that I do focus mainly on the bow hunting season but would like to possibly be able to use it during Gun. I hunt mostly in the thumb of Michigan but sometimes in southern Michigan and next year plan I'm going to Ohio.
Likewise, I'd like to know where to start . Under garments, outer layer or both? And, can I use the same dryer my wife uses for our clothes?

autumn_sniper

Apr 3, 2014
@SkylineReaper and Kurt,
I’m David, the guy in the before and after pics. If you were only going to buy one suit, it doesn’t matter which one you pick as long as you use it properly. Pick the pattern that best matches the majority of cover you hunt in. The face and head covering being really the most important part of the outfit. I use the savanna coveralls until it gets really cold then switch to the full season tops and bottoms . Keep in mind, you could get a size bigger on the coveralls and just add layers as it gets cold (I’m from MI) The coveralls come with a hood and face mask actually attached to the garment which is convenient. As far as using the same dryer as your wife, you need to thoroughly clean it before reactivating your suit or even drying your under layers or anything you hunt with. I clean the lint catcher first. Then I make a solution of water, baking soda, and a squirt of hydrogen peroxide and liberally spray the inside of the dryer. Wipe it dry with paper towel and repeat 3 times. Run on high heat for 5 minutes before putting any clothes in it. I know you asked John and not me but, Hope this helps.

Reactions: Crawdaddy4 and Kurt

autumn_sniper

Apr 3, 2014
@John Eberhart you will never convince everyone and I am ok with that. Here’s a picture of a guy I work with and his brother. That’s exactly what they were wearing that morning minus their orange vest. Those are pretty good public land bucks for Georgia. They don’t usually get it done on the same morning but they generally do pretty good every year. I’m not sure I want these guys wearing scentlok. The rest of us wouldn’t stand a chance:)
View attachment 8640
I don’t think John nor I are trying to convince “everyone” but I also don’t believe the success of others not using ScentLok negates the testimonials of those that do. If you have a public land honey hole or own private land or any one of several exceptions to the rule, God bless you, you are fortunate! But for the rest of us there’s a scent free regimen including ScentLok and the proof there is undeniable. Those bucks you posted are very impressive for any public land. Thanks for sharing.

PAhunter78

Dec 18, 2018
The following bucks were taken on highly pressured public land in Pennsylvania after reading John Eberhart’s books and watching his DVD’s. Following his scouting and scent control techniques. Seven mature bucks in eight straight years is not luck. Long live the God Father!

63992751-F986-4293-A84B-4B8EE1671BC6.jpeg936D8557-2AC5-43D1-BF38-E98D64225183.jpeg3F6047D3-FC01-4785-A67C-7CC6F2B01FAF.jpeg31AD5ED4-7D3B-48D9-9D2B-7059526B87F5.jpegA407A1D2-827D-4BC2-B3B2-AB18198CA00F.jpegA901149B-3C20-4534-937D-6DD2BCEFB04D.jpeg90FA3846-5F61-40A4-A4CA-E64B40D33346.jpeg

autumn_sniper

Apr 3, 2014
The following bucks were taken on highly pressured public land in Pennsylvania after reading John Eberhart’s books and watching his DVD’s. Following his scouting and scent control techniques. Seven mature bucks in eight straight years is not luck. Long live the God Father!

View attachment 8676View attachment 8677View attachment 8678View attachment 8679View attachment 8680View attachment 8681View attachment 8682
Almost makes you want to keep it a secret doesn’t it?! Great bucks man. Those of us who know can never be convinced otherwise! Thanks for sharing!
-David

SkylineReaper

Nov 5, 2018
autumn_sniper
Thanks for the response are the full season outfits too warm for early-season bow? Don't have the money to spend to buy two different outfits.

autumn_sniper

Apr 3, 2014
autumn_sniper
Thanks for the response are the full season outfits too warm for early-season bow? Don't have the money to spend to buy two different outfits.
No, it’s not too warm for early-season if you just wear a light weight layer of under armor or something underneath it. I literally had on a under armor T-shirt and my underwear during the early season this year and worked fine. The nice thing about the coveralls is that you can roll them up into a scent free plastic bag and hike them out to your spot if it’s really warm out. Then let yourself cool down for a few minutes and put them on at the base of your tree.

Reactions: SkylineReaper

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
Apr 1, 2014

For temps over 30, ScentLok's Full Season Taktix and for temps 15 to 40, ScentLok's Windbrace which is windproof and you can layer as needed below it.

Reactions: SkylineReaper

SkylineReaper

Nov 5, 2018
No, it’s not too warm for early-season if you just wear a light weight layer of under armor or something underneath it. I literally had on a under armor T-shirt and my underwear during the early season this year and worked fine. The nice thing about the coveralls is that you can roll them up into a scent free plastic bag and hike them out to your spot if it’s really warm out. Then let yourself cool down for a few minutes and put them on at the base of your tree.

I wear regular coveralls now and that's what I do with them so that will work great thanks for the info

Reactions: autumn_sniper

SkylineReaper

Nov 5, 2018
For temps over 30, ScentLok's Full Season Taktix and for temps 15 to 40, ScentLok's Windbrace which is windproof and you can layer as needed below it.

Thanks John just wanted to know what I was getting into before I went and bought something and was not happy with it I appreciate the help

Reactions: autumn_sniper

denots

Nov 7, 2017
Denham Springs, Louisiana
Look man I don't want to sound like a hater here but sometimes I think comments about scent-lok can be misleading, and this is why. When you're asked if they're too warm for early-season your response is no you can wear something light under it or just bring it in with you and get dressed at the tree. I think the more appropriate response would be to ask where are you hunting? Because of my instance I hunt in the Deep South, in south Louisiana. And early-season bow it is so hot here that I literally sweat through my clothing sitting in the tree doing nothing in the shade. So how can something be effective when you have sweat dripping out of your clothing down your face on the outside of your clothing constantly? And if you walk into the tree with it in a bag you've contaminated everything you brushed up against walking through the woods. Not to mention the hundreds of drops of sweat that fall off of your body while you're trying to get dressed at the base of the tree(cooling off in 90 degree heat is not an option). According to John in a podcast on scent control which was a bit of a debate between him and another Hunter he said the only time he had ever been busted wearing scent Lok was when he got some sweat on the outside when he got a little overheated. Well brother that happens well into November where I hunt and sometimes even in December. I think more questions should be asked and more thought and consideration of people's geographic location should be considered before answering a question with a blanket statement. Again I'm not trying to hate I just think sometimes more questions should be asked before answering. So now that I've said all that what would you say the solution would be for somebody in my instance? I have a scent Lok suit but I can't get it to work for some of the reasons that I've stated(assumption on my part). Not to mention when I sweat through something throwing it in the dryer it's not going to be enough. It has to be washed. I've read that you shouldn't wash them more than a couple of three times or they start losing effectiveness. So should I just not hunt early-season or when it's hot outside? If I do this I will give up a large portion of my hunting season. I don't know what my other choices besides play the wind which I'm not supposed to have to do with this system.

autumn_sniper

Apr 3, 2014
Look man I don't want to sound like a hater here but sometimes I think comments about scent-lok can be misleading, and this is why. When you're asked if they're too warm for early-season your response is no you can wear something light under it or just bring it in with you and get dressed at the tree. I think the more appropriate response would be to ask where are you hunting? Because of my instance I hunt in the Deep South, in south Louisiana. And early-season bow it is so hot here that I literally sweat through my clothing sitting in the tree doing nothing in the shade. So how can something be effective when you have sweat dripping out of your clothing down your face on the outside of your clothing constantly? And if you walk into the tree with it in a bag you've contaminated everything you brushed up against walking through the woods. Not to mention the hundreds of drops of sweat that fall off of your body while you're trying to get dressed at the base of the tree(cooling off in 90 degree heat is not an option). According to John in a podcast on scent control which was a bit of a debate between him and another Hunter he said the only time he had ever been busted wearing scent Lok was when he got some sweat on the outside when he got a little overheated. Well brother that happens well into November where I hunt and sometimes even in December. I think more questions should be asked and more thought and consideration of people's geographic location should be considered before answering a question with a blanket statement. Again I'm not trying to hate I just think sometimes more questions should be asked before answering. So now that I've said all that what would you say the solution would be for somebody in my instance? I have a scent Lok suit but I can't get it to work for some of the reasons that I've stated(assumption on my part). Not to mention when I sweat through something throwing it in the dryer it's not going to be enough. It has to be washed. I've read that you shouldn't wash them more than a couple of three times or they start losing effectiveness. So should I just not hunt early-season or when it's hot outside? If I do this I will give up a large portion of my hunting season. I don't know what my other choices besides play the wind which I'm not supposed to have to do with this system.
Well, first of all, that response I gave was specifically for the person I was responding to otherwise I would have posted it on a separate reply to the entire thread… I happened to already know (because he said in his post/reply) that that particular person lives in the same state as me which is Michigan. I am obviously quite familiar with my own states temperatures throughout the season. Second of all, this particular person is looking for one outfit to cover the entire season, so options are limited. I gave him the best reply and option for where he lives and his particular situation.
As for you and your situation? I can understand why you’re frustrated. In Michigan, I don’t hunt if it’s well above average temps and I’m going to get soaked with sweat. It’s literally the only weather condition short of a verified tornado that’ll keep me out of the woods. That being said, you’ll have to be creative if you’re going to hunt in that kind of heat. All I can tell you is what I did when I hunted public land, opening day of Kentucky one year and it was 93°… I wore clean regular hunting clothes to my hunting location, brought my ScentLok clothes in a plastic tote. Changed at the base of my tree. I wish I could tell you I shot a monster that day but I did not. I did see a spike and a doe at close range. Unfortunately that trip made me realize that I hate hunting in the extreme heat. Now, when I hunt southern states, I wait until at least late October. I don’t envy you or your situation and wish there was a quick fix solution for sweating and ScentLok. Their site does say you’ll have to wash more often if sweating is a problem. I did want to set the record straight though that I was answering his question with full knowledge of his location.
Thanks

Reactions: Crawdaddy4

Aeds151

Aug 16, 2018
Ya but do they make anything that fits someone with a 36” inseam and 27” sleeve that doesnt ride up like a mid drift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk