• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deaden noise

NickDanger

I got Tethrd Skeletor sticks and Predator platform. I like the features, light weight and ease of use. Both the sticks and the platform however are noisy when banging into metal. I have started putting on stealth strip tape on the sticks and was hoping to not use too much. The standoffs specifically clang the loudest as does the whole platform. I have yet to tape the platform. Should I simply just stealth strip the crap out of all of it or is there another effective way to deaden metal on metal clang that won’t add a lot of weight. I thought about some rubberized sprays but that would start adding weight. Thoughts? Anyone…?

This paint works really good at deadening sound and blends in good with trees. Gives you some extra grip also. I use it on my sticks and platforms. Normally do the whole thing in the dark brown the stripe with black and the lighter brown. Just make sure you shake the crap out of the can some grainy stuff.

This paint works really good at deadening sound and blends in good with trees. Gives you some extra grip also. I use it on my sticks and platforms. Normally do the whole thing in the dark brown the stripe with black and the lighter brown. Just make sure you shake the crap out of the can some grainy stuff.

I’ll check that paint out! Thanks.

This is what I did with mine. It's not the Tethrd version but essentially identical. I completely took the sticks apart, ran a strip of StealthStrip down each side and a small piece on each step that contacts the stick when folded down. It didn't add any noticeable weight but made them substantially quieter. However, once I did this I discovered SRT and 2TC and have never actually used them for hunting.

60634b0fa353440d1a13e87e6740ae95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This doesn't answer your question, so I apologize in advance.

But it might be helpful.

Parallel to silencing, you can develop a system that keeps your metal away from each other in a way that you're only banging metal on metal when you aren't paying attention at all or aren't climbing in the same manner each time

For instance, when I used sticks, I had my predator bungeed center of my pack and two climbing sticks together bungeed on each side in a way that they could not hit the platform and did not make noise nested 2 on a side.

I would take the sticks off carefully at the tree. Put 1 stick on the tree from the ground, hang 1 stick off each side of my saddle, and then bungeed the remaining stick at the top of my pack. No metal could touch. The second stick up was the stick I had moved to top of pack and it had quick release bungee ball. I reached behind my head to release it (pack stayed on during climb) and put on tree. Then each stick hanging off of saddle sides. Then the platform could be released without taking the pack off. Coming down just do everything in reverse.

My hunch is that people that climb too fast to be quiet might also be climbing too fast to be as safe as they can be.

Above was just one example of thinking about your entire system to make it more quiet. Also, don't be afraid to modify a pack. I read a lot about people trying to find the perfect pack that has tie downs in the right spots for all their stuff OR putting their stuff in less than ideal positions in order to fit on their pack. I know that using the original locations for a pack is cleaner looking and no one likes to sew an expensive pack, but I think this is allowing the pack to dictate too much (like how medical insurance dictates medical care....tail wagging the dog) and there are tons of ways to add attachment points without permanently hurting your pack.

Last edited:
This doesn't answer your question, so I apologize in advance.

But it might be helpful.

Parallel to silencing, you can develop a system that keeps your metal away from each other...

The little orange pegs really help keep the Skeletors together but it takes a little effort to pull apart. That is when there's metal on metal. I do only plan on using three sticks so having them already separated may be what I have to do. I'm gonna try some of that textured spray paint tho...and more stealth stripping.

Similar to what Raisins said, I do not do any silencing on my sticks or platforms. I just avoid them touching each other, which is not difficult. However, I do quite a bit of silencing (stealth strips, hockey tape, electrical tape, plasti-dip, etc.) on any metal connectors that have to make metal-to-metal contact or may move around my body and contact a stick or the paltform (e.g., carabiners, ascenders, belay devices, buckels, etc.). For me, these are the bits that really need sound silencing. Works well for me. Just something to consider.

if i had tethrd sticks with those tabs, i would use the tabs while getting them to the tree but then i'd separate them carefully at the tree base if they caused noise getting them apart

if i couldn't get them apart quietly at all, i would consider not using the orange tabs at all

i would, however, want to use them and feel a little bummed that i couldn't use a cool feature

if i had tethrd sticks with those tabs, i would use the tabs while getting them to the tree but then i'd separate them carefully at the tree base if they caused noise getting them apart

if i couldn't get them apart quietly at all, i would consider not using the orange tabs at all

i would, however, want to use them and feel a little bummed that i couldn't use a cool feature

I may only use either the top or bottom pas only and see how that works. It keeps the sticks together a little too well but so will a QUIET nylon strap!

I may only use either the top or bottom pas only and see how that works. It keeps the sticks together a little too well but so will a QUIET nylon strap!

some sticks nest better if they standoff are towards each other like the sticks are hugging

my hawk heliums are like that for me and they are pretty similar to skeletors

Back