• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deployable Back Cover

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
When hunting from the ground, I wear 3D camo and often find myself wishing for more back cover. Has anyone designed some type of packable back cover?

I am imagining some 3D fabric with a combination of guylines, clips to pin up, and poles or stakes. The lines could be tied to a tree trunk on one side then pulled out and staked down and pinned up in numerous ways.

Anyone make something like this? I mean a beach towel with strings could probably do the trick lol.

I use a usmc tarp for this. They are in the marpat camo and have grommets and snaps and loops on them. Can be had for $20 for one that isn’t waterproof anymore

Just google camo netting. On the rare occassion I plan to ground hunt I take that and have that available to either make an impromptu ground blind or fortify my back cover. I think mine is 4 x 8.

I just use a few 1" pvc stakes and natural vegetation. Got the idea from Dave T on here.
He talks about them around the 1:30 mark

I've seen infantrymen attach branches and long grasses to backpacks and such to camo themselves when laying prone. If you have a hunting chair you could use bungees or hair ties or wires or the like to lash some back camo to your seat. Maybe even put some small-diameter PVC in strategic locations to readily accept vegetation. You probably wouldn't need an impenetrable screen, just enough to break up your outline and hide head/shoulder movement.

When hunting from the ground, I wear 3D camo and often find myself wishing for more back cover. Has anyone designed some type of packable back cover?

I am imagining some 3D fabric with a combination of guylines, clips to pin up, and poles or stakes. The lines could be tied to a tree trunk on one side then pulled out and staked down and pinned up in numerous ways.

Anyone make something like this? I mean a beach towel with strings could probably do the trick lol.

Some folks use a camo umbrella for a blind. You could open it behind you.

I haven't done the umbrella thing, but I have worn a leafy suit and then carried in with me some camo fabric (wally world, etc), some twine, and 4 or so bamboo tomato stakes bungee'd together.

I often put the stakes around a tree and then use the twine and cloth to make a blind and then brush in. Even without a tree, you could still do this without a tree and it would give you back cover.

Early season, I make liberal use of my ratchet pruners to make brush blinds. Jam some suitably-sized sticks in the dirt and weave conifer boughs between them to make a low screen in front and a back screen. Sometimes I'll use jute twine or wire, but I'm on public land and don't want to litter. If I have a half-dozen or so places to rotate between I can still-hunt or sit, depending on shifts in wind or deer patterns or other conditions, or just feeling antsy. There's enough blind material in the woods I don't see the need to carry fabric or rattan or whatever.

Back