• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dipping Tree Bolts

bpz89

Nov 2, 2019
What’s the best way to rubber coat tree bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LAKY

Mar 3, 2019
I do them in batches at the lowest temp setting in an electric smoker.

bpz89

Nov 2, 2019
View attachment 70650
This is what I use. Very durable, fast and neat to use...no dipping, no hanging, no dripping, no dry time.
Slip it on a bolt, heat it with propane torch and it's ready to use. Holds paint too, incase you want a drab color.

Awsome thank you! Do you use that 1/2 on the 3/8 bolts? Thanks

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Feb 4, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
Do you use 1/2 on the 3/8?

Yeah.
It's a 3:1 shrink ratio. The 1/2" will cover the sides of allen head bolts.
1/2" will not fit over the sides of the head of a hex bolt but I grind the points off the head so the shrink tube will fit. I have no need for a bolt to remain a hex head since I use vice grips in the event of a tight bolt.
And you do realize that you are not putting the shrink tube on the srction of the bolt that goes into the tree. You can't fully coat the entire length of the bolt...you'll never fit it in the hole.

Reactions: Loopwing

DroptineKrazy

SH Member
Oct 30, 2019
Brunswick, Maine
It was pretty easy to stretch the heat shrink over the bolt head for me. I also just heated them over the burner on my gas range holding the bolt by the threaded end with a pair of vice grips. I have a pan of cold water near by to drop them in to cool off. Works great but you have to turn them to get the heat shrink evenly "melted'' around the bolt. I did 15 at a time and it took no time at all.