• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Diy beast knock offs

Usi05

Oct 19, 2020
Just need to decide on paint now.

6061 cut to 24” weight about 17oz. Drilled and countersunk.

Drilled out two different step spots on top and bottom to be able to adjust down step size if needed in winter.

Total weight without versa strap is 1.7lbs. Pretty sure I’ll go with tetherd versa straps for a total weight of around 1.8 lbs per stick. Made 4 with some help from a friend. Could shave 1/2” from top and bottom just below/above step and save a bit more weight but happy for now!

Have 4 more 24” pieces in case I want to make another set or some platform posts.

Going to be significantly lighter that my 3 30” hawk sticks!
13d30e6630b83262296f3a157ca286dc.jpg

debc6ca15c298d078d47c4906c99e72f.jpg

24ebac256fbd7fed4247e87c3838b373.jpg

5af1c319594f3b07abc1424cb43fbe68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmatthew80

Nov 6, 2019
Canada
FACEBOOK
matthew.e.coleman
wow...I have 18" steps and they're a stretch for me (I'm 6'6") - 24" are reeeeeaaaaallly far apart.

• Haha
Reactions: phatkaw

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
Just need to decide on paint now.

6061 cut to 24” weight about 17oz. Drilled and countersunk.

Drilled out two different step spots on top and bottom to be able to adjust down step size if needed in winter.

Total weight without versa strap is 1.7lbs. Pretty sure I’ll go with tetherd versa straps for a total weight of around 1.8 lbs per stick. Made 4 with some help from a friend. Could shave 1/2” from top and bottom just below/above step and save a bit more weight but happy for now!

Have 4 more 24” pieces in case I want to make another set or some platform posts.

Going to be significantly lighter that my 3 30” hawk sticks!
13d30e6630b83262296f3a157ca286dc.jpg

debc6ca15c298d078d47c4906c99e72f.jpg

24ebac256fbd7fed4247e87c3838b373.jpg

5af1c319594f3b07abc1424cb43fbe68.jpg

Looks good. Are those steps and standoffs from EWO? What thickness aluminum tube are you using?

Usi05

Oct 19, 2020
wow...I have 18" steps and they're a stretch for me (I'm 6'6") - 24" are reeeeeaaaaallly far apart.

Step to step is just under 21” because I didn’t place steps at top and bottoms exactly. Had no trouble using them yesterday in yard but will put on layers and do it tomorrow. I’m only 5’7. I could shave more weight by trimming 1/2” from top and bottom of stick but pretty damn happy with weight at moment

This is why I have another set of metal Incase I find something I want to change down road.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmatthew80

Usi05

Oct 19, 2020
Looks good. Are those steps and standoffs from EWO? What thickness aluminum tube are you using?

6061 T-6 1x1 with thickness of .125. Got it new at zero dollars so it made choice easy :). 8 feet was $124 from vendor that hooked me up

I used EWO steps and alumi buttons.

Used lone wolf v brackets as I already had 2 sets laying around from other diy platform projects.

Could make my own buttons and steps pretty easily but hard to beat quality from EWO.

Reactions: raisins

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
6061 T-6 1x1 with thickness of .125. Got it new at zero dollars so it made choice easy :). 8 feet was $124 from vendor that hooked me up

I used EWO steps and alumi buttons.

Used lone wolf v brackets as I already had 2 sets laying around from other diy platform projects.

Could make my own buttons and steps pretty easily but hard to beat quality from EWO.

Nice, are you going to paint or otherwise coat them?

Usi05

Oct 19, 2020
Nice, are you going to paint or otherwise coat them?

Painted then a tan for now just for rest of season.

I am not sure how I want to proceed. I’m cheap as evidenced by my DIY project love so I am going to look into best way to get rid of noise.

May be stealth strips and then cut out the holes with small knife. Just haven’t researched enough yet.

Open to suggestions.

Made aiders for first two steps tonight with some 11mm rope I used for a few lineman’s belts and some 11mm tubing from work.

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
Painted then a tan for now just for rest of season.

I am not sure how I want to proceed. I’m cheap as evidenced by my DIY project love so I am going to look into best way to get rid of noise.

May be stealth strips and then cut out the holes with small knife. Just haven’t researched enough yet.

Open to suggestions.

Made aiders for first two steps tonight with some 11mm rope I used for a few lineman’s belts and some 11mm tubing from work.

I use stealth strips on a lot of stuff, but not sticks yet (I just handle them carefully). I guess you know about self-etching primers. I'd hate for you to paint your sticks and have it peel off. I was thinking that it's too bad that aluminum black (that gunsmiths use to blacken aluminum) isn't super cheap. I bet you could warm all your parts up and soak them overnight and get a nice black matte finish that you could sponge paint or something. If I ever made permanent aiders, it would probably be out of amsteel or 5/8" climb spec tubular webbing.

Reactions: davecarp

Usi05

Oct 19, 2020
I use stealth strips on a lot of stuff, but not sticks yet (I just handle them carefully). I guess you know about self-etching primers. I'd hate for you to paint your sticks and have it peel off. I was thinking that it's too bad that aluminum black (that gunsmiths use to blacken aluminum) isn't super cheap. I bet you could warm all your parts up and soak them overnight and get a nice black matte finish that you could sponge paint or something. If I ever made permanent aiders, it would probably be out of amsteel or 5/8" climb spec tubular webbing.

Now you got me thinking on a different level.

I will likely do Amsteel aiders over summer. I only plan on running aiders on bottom two sticks. I don’t like them once I’m around 10 feet!

cmatthew80

Nov 6, 2019
Canada
FACEBOOK
matthew.e.coleman
Now you got me thinking on a different level.

I will likely do Amsteel aiders over summer. I only plan on running aiders on bottom two sticks. I don’t like them once I’m around 10 feet!

I use 1.5" or 2" heavy duty webbing from strapworks (available on Amazon) for my aiders. I like how study it feels under your feet compared to 1" webbing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Usi05

Oct 19, 2020
Finally finished 4th stick. Final weight for 4 sticks with an Aider on bottom step is 7.24 lbs. Ordered versta straps and that will put me at around 7.7 lbs for 4 sticks and straps.

I was able to get to 16.5 feet the other day with just 3 sticks.

Now what to do with the remaining 4 pieces of 6061 I have! Thinking about making some 18” sticks next time I get bored.

Gator

SH Member
May 20, 2019
Virginia
Finally finished 4th stick. Final weight for 4 sticks with an Aider on bottom step is 7.24 lbs. Ordered versta straps and that will put me at around 7.7 lbs for 4 sticks and straps.

I was able to get to 16.5 feet the other day with just 3 sticks.

Now what to do with the remaining 4 pieces of 6061 I have! Thinking about making some 18” sticks next time I get bored.

Feel free to gift it to me and I’ll make some sticks like yours. Look great BTW!

Usi05

Oct 19, 2020
Been looking at that left over metal in my garage and I am thinking I am going to make the same exact stick but cut it down to 18 inches.

Then I’ll try those and see if I like them more then the 24 inch sticks.

No complaints using these since I made them. I did switch to beast standoffs on them.

Will update in a few weeks.

DGF

Nov 14, 2020
West MI

Open to suggestions.

I have stealth strips on lots of my gear and have been happy both with the camo portion of it and my main reasoning, the silencing.

For cutting out the holes on beast sticks, stands and the like I have had good luck with a wood burner or soldering iron. It takes awhile but the finished product is real nice. It is something you will want to do outside, or in a well ventilated area.

-Dan