• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Diy climbing spurs

Krs616

So I work with welding/steel and fabrication for work so I thought I could build a set of climbing spurs since I already have the steel. Now they are 6lb total but if I get them to work right I plan on building a set out of 1/4" instead of 3/8" flat steel like I did. Tried them a few times but I believe I need a piece of metal to wrap a 1/4 the way around my shin to keep them from kicking back and not hardly working at all. Heres a picture of them but since have put straps and buckles on will get another pic when I get the chance I sharpened a 1/2" bolt to a point torched an angled hole made both spikes even and welded up both sides. I believe there's no way I'm breaking these things
6fdd9f5a24d2370b877fd2958d94358c.jpg
1fd81d0b87f3b809c714b9fdca098a21.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I built a set years ago out of 1/4”. Worked great when I used them. Instead of the bolt I took angle and made the gaff so it could be sharpened with a file from the bottom edge.

Didnt really think of doing that. But may be the way I go for the next set. Did you have a piece of metal to go 1/4 of the way around your shin? Or what did you use to keep them from kicking backwards?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

No. I literally just used leather dog collars for the straps and just climbed. Would turn my feet out and climb the face of the tree as opposed to trying to climb with the spurs on the sides of the tree. Back then comfort didn’t matter as long as I could get in a tree further back on the mountain than anyone else.

Back