• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Kryptec Saddle W/ Pockets

Swampfox

Been wanting a saddle with integrated pockets so I’m putting one together. I can tell you that adding pockets has upped the complexity of a saddle build. As you can tell in the picture I have been fighting this sewing machine all afternoon, stitches could be better but this is a trial model anyways.
bdfaa0246ea555ac0f5d32d1aa11ad12.jpg
07b0b32cbe78e5cbc88eb384fa907c22.jpg
be527926df374430c50f0c3e63613641.jpg

Interesting idea! I'll be interested to hear how you like it!

Thanks for the kind words fellas. The idea is to not have to dig underneath all my ropes to get to my bridge and other accessories I use during the climbing process. I’ll still keep a pouch on the side and have Molle straps to attach my sticks but these pockets should make for better organization and keep carabiners from clanking. Could also allow for insulation in the colder months.

That's a really great idea, and looks really good also. I wonder if the pockets are going to get snug when you're sitting in the saddle? They may not but if they do you may have to make them more like a cargo pocket so they are like a pouch that will close up. That may also keep anything in the pocket from causing pressure points while in the saddle. But I really like the idea of a pocket being on a saddle I think you're right it will make it nice to have things right there handy without having to go fishing around for them. Where did you get the camo fabric from? The armrest on my lawn mower seat rotted off and I'm going to make some new ones but I want to cover them in Camo fabric and I'd like to cover them in kryptek if possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That's a really great idea, and looks really good also. I wonder if the pockets are going to get snug when you're sitting in the saddle? They may not but if they do you may have to make them more like a cargo pocket so they are like a pouch that will close up. That may also keep anything in the pocket from causing pressure points while in the saddle. But I really like the idea of a pocket being on a saddle I think you're right it will make it nice to have things right there handy without having to go fishing around for them. Where did you get the camo fabric from? The armrest on my lawn mower seat rotted off and I'm going to make some new ones but I want to cover them in Camo fabric and I'd like to cover them in kryptek if possible.

Thanks bud! I don’t plan to keep anything in the pockets while I’m hunting. It should all be on the tree by that point.

The fabric came from a vendor on eBay.

Thanks bud! I don’t plan to keep anything in the pockets while I’m hunting. It should all be on the tree by that point.

The fabric came from a vendor on eBay.
Ok I'll start my search there. I really need to get a sewing machine. What model do you have again? I know there's a thread with it when you got it for Christmas but I just couldn't remember. And if you wouldn't mind could you give me a brief explanation of why you went with your model over the Singer heavy-duty( or any other model you were considering for that matter). I'm probably fixing to buy one soon and would like to hear your input on one Machine versus the other if you don't mind.
Every time you post some cool stuff you're making, it makes me want one that much more. Anyway thanks in advance for any information you could give me before I make a purchase.

0b8112fbb9be66ccb5c97e9bf8d3a818.jpg
hey denots sorry about the delayed response. I’ve been in 5 states in the past 2 weeks which hasn’t really allowed me much time to get back to my machine.

The brand and model is a Janome HD-1000BE. It’s a pretty good machine from what I can tell (I’ve never used another machine). I’ve punched through 2 layers of webbing and 500D codora fabric with it but that is probably the max it’ll do. I need to try different size needles to see how the machine reacts. I do know that the guterman 40 thread is tough to work with compared to what came with the machine. I’m sure it’s probably the thread though as I remember reading something about that online.

Starting out I’m glad I purchased this thing but knowing what I know now I want a true upholstery machine. It’s not that I want to mass produce saddles, it’s just the stitching comes out more aesthetically pleasing with a powerful machine. However those things start out around $1000 and that’s a pretty hefty price to hand out for something that only gets used for hunting gear. So I’ll probably stick with this one for some time.

I chose this brand and model simply because it’s labeled heavy duty (for personal use standards) and that it’s currently being manufactured. I know those old singers do well but I don’t know how available parts would be if it broke.

Hope this helps you some. Feel free to ask anymore questions...again sorry for the long delay in responding.

0b8112fbb9be66ccb5c97e9bf8d3a818.jpg
hey denots sorry about the delayed response. I’ve been in 5 states in the past 2 weeks which hasn’t really allowed me much time to get back to my machine.

The brand and model is a Janome HD-1000BE. It’s a pretty good machine from what I can tell (I’ve never used another machine). I’ve punched through 2 layers of webbing and 500D codora fabric with it but that is probably the max it’ll do. I need to try different size needles to see how the machine reacts. I do know that the guterman 40 thread is tough to work with compared to what came with the machine. I’m sure it’s probably the thread though as I remember reading something about that online.

Starting out I’m glad I purchased this thing but knowing what I know now I want a true upholstery machine. It’s not that I want to mass produce saddles, it’s just the stitching comes out more aesthetically pleasing with a powerful machine. However those things start out around $1000 and that’s a pretty hefty price to hand out for something that only gets used for hunting gear. So I’ll probably stick with this one for some time.

I chose this brand and model simply because it’s labeled heavy duty (for personal use standards) and that it’s currently being manufactured. I know those old singers do well but I don’t know how available parts would be if it broke.

Hope this helps you some. Feel free to ask anymore questions...again sorry for the long delay in responding.
Thank you for taking the time to get back to me. Sounds like you have been crazy busy lately. I guess it's a good and a bad thing. I knew you had a different machine than the Singer heavy-duty. I talk to my sister about your machine(I had to look up your thread from Christmas), versus the Singer heavy-duty, and she recommended a brand that they use in Angola a lot. It is made by Reliable and the model is the Barracuda. She said it'll go through anything I want to sew including leather. It may be a model that you want to check into if you don't think your current model is quite Tough Enough for the projects you're putting it against. She used to work for a company called All Brands and sold long-arm quilting and sewing machines. The machine she recommended was about $500 so I think that's where I'll start. Looking forward to seeing some more your projects.

Is there a special type of sewing machine for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back