• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Sit Drag

20ftup

Well I’m first attempt at a diy saddle went extremely well, not perfect but close to it. I copied G2 dimensions from his diy sit drag saddle. Excited to test this and compare to stock sit drag. I’m not putting a belt or amsteel bridge in this one because I believe I’m going to be making more and better saddles in the future.
03ff9ead4bd4919f7eee878e871ea273.jpg
98ad7436792f6c36ed77e0171bd64841.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work, careful with your wife's sewing machine, I broke 2 trying to make various webbing contraptions, lol.

That’s a heavy duty singer. So far it was able to go through three layers of mil spec webbing with double layered 500d cordura in the middle.

I’ve been making a few saddles with my Janome sewing machine. I started with sitdrags like you and have migrated to different styles. Each one gets better. keep at it and you’ll never need to buy a factory style saddle again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve been making a few saddles with my Janome sewing machine. I started with sitdrags like you and have migrated to different styles. Each one gets better. keep at it and you’ll never need to buy a factory style saddle again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s the plan. I think I’m going try and add some material to the crotch area on the next one like the kestrel/mantis design. It’s nice that the material is cheap.

That’s a heavy duty singer. So far it was able to go through three layers of mil spec webbing with double layered 500d cordura in the middle.

How do you like that Singer Heavy Duty? I've been looking at buying one. Kinda up in the air about the newer heavy duty machines and or an old Singer 66. Really dont want to buy an old one and have a bunch of issues to fix, but I hear they are stronger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NICE, my wife got a new one and I want able to persuade her to get the heavy duty so all my stuff is..... on hold

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Im looking at a 1946 Singer 201 right now, local. The lady says it runs great. Im not sure if its a deal or not for $80, or if I should just buy a new heavy duty singer.???
1d3d183ec666ea1f727f27e842bbe75c.jpg

Thats a good pick-up! And not a terrible price. Tons of info of the 201 online. Let me know if you need the manual or repair guide (I think thats what it is). I have both electronically. From my research, the big thing with the 201 is checking the wiring. Tends to break down and crack. I just picked up a 1955 201 and it will need rewired down the road.

Thats a good pick-up! And not a terrible price. Tons of info of the 201 online. Let me know if you need the manual or repair guide (I think thats what it is). I have both electronically. From my research, the big thing with the 201 is checking the wiring. Tends to break down and crack. I just picked up a 1955 201 and it will need rewired down the road.
That is really the only issue with it(electrical). I have it mostly tore apart right now. It runs good but the wiring was definitely in need of repair. I tore into it the other day, but the Army has had me too busy to finish. Hopefully I can get her finished up soon. If you have the repair info that would be great to have.

Let me know if this doesn't work and I'll get your email and send it to you. You should be able to view it and download it through the link though.
It is the Adjuster's Manual for Singer Machines (201 family)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ufKs7vlaAJWbiQgbjY077znxz8so-g8z

Not sure how far you are taking the rewiring/cleaning...but if you had not already located it, here is an excellent step by step tutorial on how to refurb the motor and wiring for these machines. When I have the time to dedicate to it...I plan to follow the entire process.

http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-re-wire-potted-motor-part-1-wire.html

Let me know if this doesn't work and I'll get your email and send it to you. You should be able to view it and download it through the link though.
It is the Adjuster's Manual for Singer Machines (201 family)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ufKs7vlaAJWbiQgbjY077znxz8so-g8z

Not sure how far you are taking the rewiring/cleaning...but if you had not already located it, here is an excellent step by step tutorial on how to refurb the motor and wiring for these machines. When I have the time to dedicate to it...I plan to follow the entire process.

http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-re-wire-potted-motor-part-1-wire.html
I tried these links and neither one worked. Are you on FB? The message feature on here isnt working for me. I am Dave Ryan on the SH page, send me these links on FB messenger if you can.

I really enjoyed making saddles. I wish I were good at it. Thread injecting is actually fun when you're making gear.
I'm impressed with the limited time it takes to make a saddle. Being the first thing i sewed since home ec in middle school, it still only took me 1.5 hours start to finish. I cant wait to make mods for the wild edge bag, I plan on replacing my regular pack with it.

I'm impressed with the limited time it takes to make a saddle. Being the first thing i sewed since home ec in middle school, it still only took me 1.5 hours start to finish. I cant wait to make mods for the wild edge bag, I plan on replacing my regular pack with it.

Working on the same project very shortly. Hopefully it turns out.

Back